1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the best way to touch up fine clear coat scratches?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rebbi, Sep 20, 2006.

1. rebbi

rebbi New Member

Howdy, gang,

Just brought my new Seaside Pearl pkg. #6 home yesterday. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, that was cathartic...

Anyway, I've noticed some very light scratches in the clear-coat (doesn't seem any deeper than that) on the driver's side door. Could've picked it up anywhere — brushing by a hedge while parking, who knows?

So I'm wondering, in general, in y'all's experience, what the best spot wax/treatment is for such minor, fine scratches, in particular, and in general, what a great, protective treatment for the Prius' paint job is.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

P.S. --- Already seriously considering buying the body side moldings and one of those clear stick-on front end bras. ;)

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What I do.

I take a sponge applicator pad and apply Meguiar's ScratchX and rub briskly until it "liquifies". You can feel it break down. Then I remove it and spray with detailer and wipe with microfiber towel. If there are still a few scratches I'll do it again two or three times.

If that doesn't do it I'll use #83 or #80 with a dual action polisher.

But it sounds like the ScratchX will do it.

BTW Meguiar's PlastX works great on the interior plastic cup holders and the center panels around and under the radio.

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Per the Meguiar's waxing class, what you have is what's called swirls, or spider-web.

There's a lot of ways to create it and one is bad washing discipline involving not using terry-cloth or microfiber cloths, and using a dirty bucket, instead of two separated ones, and just plain touching the car.

For your case, use a mild abrasive such as Scratch-X, there's a Zaino equivalent, and try to rub it out by hand using a very very clean terrycloth/microfiber on a very clean surface. Claybar it if you have to first to get all the grit off the surface.

If it's too deep to take out by hand, a machine porter/polisher such Meguiar's G100 with the polishing sponge is great for this.

4. rebbi

rebbi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Sep 21 2006, 12:34 AM) [snapback]322670[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks a lot for the advice but I think I know what you mean by swirls or spider web and this isn't it; these are just a couple of very light, straight scratches; again, they look like they were caused by a hedge twig or something.

Thank you,

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 21 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]322665[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Godiva. Where do you get this Meguiar's stuff?

Take care,

Steve

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rebbi @ Sep 20 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]322671[/snapback]</div>
    An auto parts store like Pep Boys, Kragen, AutoZone.

You can also buy online.

Don't use any old rags, T-shirts etc. With the ScratchX I bought a new sponge applicator pad and a microfiber towel. My clay bar kit came with spray detailer.

A great online source for everything except ScratchX is Auto Detailing Solutions

Right now they have a 50% off sale on microfiber stuff, wash mitts and brushes.

If you buy over $100 worth of stuff (easy to do if you don't have anything) you get a free Meguiar's duffle bag.

6. rebbi

rebbi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 21 2006, 01:07 AM) [snapback]322681[/snapback]</div>
    Great tip, Godiva, thank you. What products have you used sucessfully? Do you recommend those clay products for cleaning off tree sap (a major problem here) and other gunk? What would you consider a "starter kit" for cleaning and polishing?

Thank you,

Steve

7. rebbi

rebbi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rebbi @ Sep 21 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]322803[/snapback]</div>
    Just to follow up on this thread, our local Target has a very good selection of the Meguiar's products, including Scratch-X, at very reasonable prices. I picked up a few items, along with some microfiber cleaning cloths, today.

Take care,

Steve