1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the deal with the HV battery cost / core charge?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by psusi, Sep 15, 2017.

1. psusi

psusi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I have been able to gather reading these forums and other sources on the web, the MSRP for a new battery is $2500, but that includes a $1300 core charge that you get back when you return the old battery, bringing the net cost to $1200. Now when I bought the car, I was told that a new battery would be $1200, so that checks out. The problem is that the dealer says they don't know anything about a core charge. I spoke with corporate and at first they said the same, then did some research and now claim that the $2500 price already has the core charge discounted from it for turning in the old battery.

Is toyota trying to pull a fast one here?

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I believe someone misinformed you, no dealer is going to sell you a new not refurb battery for $1200. It is more likely $2500 +core charge, to be credited back to you upon return of your old unit. The core charge only applies if you buy the battery from the dealership and diy install the dealer pack. If you take it to the dealer and have them do it no core charge applies.

dolj and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct^^^ who did you buy the car from? i think they were the one's 'pulling a fast one'.

dolj likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No it's $2100 (or more) PLUS $1350 core charge which you get back when you return the old battery. Toyota wants to keep those junk modules out of landfills and recycled appropriately to keep from getting a black eye PR wise.

5. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's far more likely that Toyota wants to keep those junk modules out of the hands of rebuilders. I'm sure they get recycled properly in the hands of Toyota, but that is not the main reason for a core charge that is half the cost of a new battery.

6. psusi

psusi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn.. all of the other threads I've found made it sound like the $2500 was without any core charge refund.

7. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems as though you want to buy a new pack and install it yourself. That's not plug and play by any means. And you might not find a stealership that is willing to sell you the pack either. Such are the hassles in addition to that pesky core charge.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And who then do you return your core to? MetroToyotaPartsNow.com? A local stealership (who might not be obligated to accept your core)? This would bother me as I abhor uncertainty involving thousands of dollars.

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This was just to help justify the correct price. Sometimes I can find Toyota parts cheaper from a dealer on Amazon.

12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As mentioned, it is $2k and up (seen as high as $2.8k) for the battery PLUS a $1350 core charge. Many dealers will not sell you a pack over the counter. Some do if they know you, some do to anyone, some sell them online even. But it will be price + core + tax + shipping. Then when you get it you have a big 'ol battery that you then need to install. You can do it yourself in a day, or experienced rebuilders can do it in a few hours usually for $200-$400, but obviously the price varies. Toyota dealerships generally want $400-$800 to install and they also generally do not accept you bringing them a battery. If you want your dealership to do it for you, they will install the battery that they order, not the one you found online for a bargain.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. RocotoRelleno

RocotoRelleno New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What did you end up doing about your battery? I have one that the dealer keeps saying doesnt throw codes so it's good. It's got nearly 180,000 miles. I really dont know what to do with a bluetooth thingy or the apps and results....

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure what you're asking here. are you having a problem with your car? if so, what are the symptoms?
    are any of the trouble lights on the dashboard on?

15. RocotoRelleno

RocotoRelleno New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It runs like crap. Everyone says it's fine and there aren't lights on. So they say it is perfectly fine. Funny..... it didnt run like this 30000 miles ago