1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

whats the difference in the "Touring" package?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by clokwise, Jun 12, 2012.

1. clokwise

clokwise Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen people mention to stay away from it if MPGs are your overall goal. Is that accurate? I'm a little confused on the difference. How do you tell unless its specially list as "Touring"?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Touring? What year of Prius and member of the Prius family are you talking about?

3. clokwise

clokwise Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure :) I am new to the prius world. I'm slowly learning. Doing my research before buying. I'm saving my pennies getting ready to buy soon.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only touring model I can think of was on the 2nd gen. See 2G Prius (2004-2009) Standard and Optional Equipment (Some Countries) | PriusChat. If buying used, be super careful about non-tourings being represented as touring models. It happens ALL the time. Touring cost more.

Per Most fuel-efficient cars, there was a slight mileage hit on the tourings.

If looking for a Gen 3 (2010+), see Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Prices for 2010 Prius / Toyota for 2010-2011 models (prices are outdated and it doesn't mention USB).

'12 brought on some changes. See Exclusive: 2012 MY Prius - Changes and Additions | PriusChat. The post is wrong about the backup camera on model 2. It's not included on that.

5. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Above post is correct - "Touring" was a style that was available with the Gen 2 model. My Touring is a 2008. To my recollection ... Touring has a tuned suspension bar & shocks, making the ride slightly stiffer. It also has 16 rather than 15 inch wheels, thus comes with lower profile tires, (195's rather than 185's.) The only thing that should hinder mileage is the size of tires. Touring stops in less distance because of less nose dip when braking in an emergency situation. Touring has 7 spoke wheels with covers & HID headlights - Also comes with fog lamps. I think the plusses (mainly stopping distance & tight handling) outweighs the tiny mileage you lose with the tires. I beat the EPA figure (46mpg) by one (47mpg) when averaged over 10K miles.

BlackBerry 9930 ?

6. vanbran

vanbran Hmm....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Canada still has a Touring package in the 2012 Gen III Prius. It has the 17" wheels which would slightly impact fuel economy.