1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the lowest I can talk down a Toyota Dealership for a 2014 Prius 3?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JamesAdams1, Oct 8, 2017.

1. JamesAdams1

JamesAdams1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has around 60k miles, and they're asking $16,000 for it. I feel like that may be pretty high, and would love to talk them down to $12,500. I would be able to put $4,000 down in cash and have a cosigner with the highest possible credit score you can get. Let me know what's possible to talk these guys down to.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it a cpo at a toyota dealership?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe $13,500. depends on how long it has been sitting there. start at 12k, and let them talk you up.

4. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  5. JamesAdams1

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup cpo

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ooh, that's more money.(y)

7. JamesAdams1

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Man I just feel $16,000 on a 4 year old car with 60k miles isnt reasonable, how much would you pay for it?

Grit likes this.
  8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Agreed.
    A 2014 with that many miles, I wouldn't pay more than $13,500.

Word of advice. Don't mention you have $4000 down or a cosigner. How you finance the car is not related to the price of the vehicle. The dealer would like you to think it is, but it is not. If they ask how you plan to pay for the car, you say you plan to finance. When you reply with cosigning and $4000 down, it screams of desperation like you don't have a lot of experience or credit buying cars. Whether it is true or not, I would high ball you if I were the dealer. Tell them you plan to cosign and have $4000 down after the price is agreed upon.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. JamesAdams1

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense on the desperation thing. Im going to call them tomorrow and offer $12,000 for their 2014 Prius 2 47k miles, and if they want to haggle the most ill pay is $13,000 for a 2

10. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    CPO means nothing. It's a marketing scam. Heck, I can certify that virtually every car that is not new is pre-owned. That's CPO, sweet cakes!

11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Look around within 100 mile radius to see if you can find the exact prius at a lower price, most dealerships will try to price match it. Check for blemishes and potential repairs you monetary have to make. Use those 2 factors as a leverage to lower the price down, and show them a print out or website of a cheaper priced prius exact model to the one you are buying. With either 2, there's not really a way for them to lower the price down. Also pretend to tell "the co-signer will not sign a vehicle anything above $12,000" therefore they know how much cushion space you got lack thereof. You can also pretend to make phone calls and/or text messages as you are at the table with finance people and not budge at all, they'll most likely start to lower the price down. If your prepared to walk away, don't give in and just tell them you'll continue to shop around. Give them your phone number and they'll call you the next day with a lower offer. Check if the ad included certain option(s) and if actual car doesn't have the option, point that out, they might lower it down.

Wouldn't hurt but check for coupons the dealership on their website, I once found a $50 off coupon that was only for the purchase of 4 new tires. I purposely didn't read the fine line that it was only for 4 new tires, and guess what? I took $50 price off of the car right then and there, honoring the coupon for the hell of it.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i always buy the best deal i can find. i do not shop with a set price on a set vehicle. i usually have a price range in mind, and buy the best deal i can find.

13. man4857

man4857 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if it's really that high for 16K, but you can probably drop it to 14K and I'd think that's a pretty reasonable price.

I recently bought a 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE fully loaded with 80K miles, CPO also, for $14,650, $16,600 OTD. Just to give you a ballpark. KBB says the car is worth about $14K. So I thought it was reasonable for the dealer to sell it to me for $14,650.

14. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with the financing part. Here's the strange part...I've found that having excellent credit or paying with cash doesn't help at all, and it has hurt some people that I know. Dealerships make good money off of financing, especially with the high interest loans that are associated with bad credit and no credit buyers.

mike.snow1405 and mmmodem like this.
  15. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    James Adams, the Prius you're looking at is priced fairly based on kbb here. A CPO in your town should go for around $16.7k. So it's not a high ball price, even though I'm sure there's wiggle room.

However, I see that you live in California. That's state where you'll find the biggest selection of Prii on the used market. There's been a lot of 2014's coming off of leases. Assuming you are not in urgent need for a car, I'd wait for the right Prius to come along. This car has 60k miles, already, and lower mileage options will come along. Let the dealer know your ideal price and you might get a call on the 30th. Then continue your search.