1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the MOST Exotic, or Expensive, Vehicle...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Nov 16, 2005.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Every once and a while, on my way to and from work, I would see a guy in a dull-yellow Lotus. I wouldn't admit it to his face, but that car was SWEE-EET! Purely an ego-ride.

But I often wondered how that guy afforded the gas that it took to power that thing. Figured that if he can afford to buy the car, he can afford the gas.

Than, about a week ago, I saw it on display out in front on the lawm of a used car lot. I laughed out loud.

True story. I swear!

2. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Off and on from work a few months ago,I saw a couple of NSX's. One day I saw a black one and on another time a yellow one. A year or so ago I was passed by a Lamborghini Countach when I was on the north side of Columbus. I think I remember seeing a Ferrari up there on the freeway another time,one of the 308 models like from TV show Magnum.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought they only made 100 McLarens - 75 Road, 25 Track versions.

Chassis No. 001 btw was up for sale 2 yrs ago. No idea if it was bought.

With regards to the Lotus, which one? The Elise is fairly economical. It has the Celica's Yamaha 2ZZ-FE 1.8 litre engine. If it's the Esprit V8, well, that's another story.

Hmm, I think the nicest Ferrari I've seen is the 456M GTA model. It was beige (almost light cream) with a light beige (or cream) interior. The family Ferrari since it's the only 2+2.

Now to find the Carrera GT. Apparently, there are two that were sold here. One yellow, one silver. The last time I checked, the silver one had crashed around Broadway/Arbutus and was sent to Germany for repairs.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "apparently" (at least for me?) the link works fine if you have Real Audio or Windows Media Player.
    The pop-up, which can be confused with a failure notice, asks for you to "Please select your preferred audio player" . . . not download a player.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4617544

[anyone else have problems with the link?]

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Most expensive car I've seen on the road is a Maybach 57 ($325k). It was parked on the street, across from the building I work in. Funny thing, Mercedes thought these would sell to Fortune 500 CEOs, and instead they were bought up by NBA players and rap artists.

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Oddly, you can pick one of those up for not much more than a fully loaded Prius.

:ph34r:

7. Mystery Squid

:lol:

Those cars rock, how can you go wrong with reclining back seats?

8. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen various ferrari's, lamborghini's..etc.

I think the most interesting one I've seen though was the Lamborghini Diablo. I was behind it and was amazed at what a huge nice person it had :) Traffic opened up in front of us and he was gone in a second.

9. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The most exotic vehicle I've seen on the road recently was about 3 weeks ago in Westminster: a DeLorean.

The only other time I've seen one was in Back to the Future. I didn't think it really was one at first, just resembled one, until I got right behind at a red traffic signal and saw the badges on the rear to confirm that it was indeed a DeLorean.

10. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know if they were doing any time travelling, or just driving around locally? :)

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yaris :p Recliing AND sliding rear seats :lol:

12. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I saw one of those once about 8 years ago, just pulled up right next to me at Pizza Hut. Took a double take on that one!

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought most cities had their share of pricey cars, but maybe Vancouver is different. On a nice day in the spendy trendy places, I see all sorts of cool cars: Lotus Esprit, Ferraris, Lambos, Porsche, Mercedes (not necessarily in that order). There's a deLorean in the local car show every year, along with many rare oldies like a Bricklin and a 1926 Essex. I heard a rumour there was a road going Porsche 917 in town, but I've yet to see it.

As an aside, I've noticed that exotic cars tend not to be driven by exotic people. The best looking women tend to drive beaters, and the best looking cars tend to be driven by old fat guys. It's another one of life's little ironies.

14. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I work in the northern part of Palm Beach County, and live right across the intracoastal from Jupiter Island (the richest town per capita in the world), so I get to see all kinds of fun toys, especially "on season". I never knew what an Aston Martin DB7 was until I got behind one a few months ago at a light, and had to look it up on the internet. My wife finds it amusing that she came out from the Kmart, to get in her 3000GT that she always parks away from everyone else, to find a newish Rolls Royce parked next to it! :) I've seen many different models of Ferraris, including an Enzo and a few old ones, like on Ferris Bueler, Lamborghini's, Bentleys, Maybach, lots of NSX's, REAL Cobra GT's, all sorts of nice Mercedes AMG models (sweet!), BMW series that I've never even heard of, etc. When I moved here, my boss told me "Lexus here is like Chevrolet", and he was right. Its a VERY upscale car area.

15. Mystery Squid

Sort of makes you wonder doesn't it?

Whole lotta money to be made out there...

(as a side note, Google stock poked through $400/share today...)

16. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not sure...it was on surface streets and they were doing a max. of about 35mph; not nearly fast enough to do any sort of time travel. I didn't stick around to see if they got on the freeway though. :D

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You expect me to know? :D

I laugh in your general direction.
    Your mother was a Prius and your father smelt of Elderberry

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen some Ferraris and Lambos on the road (not sure which models though) but no Ferrari Enzos.

I think the most expensive car I've seen on the road was a Porsche Carrera GT which run ~$440K. I was on 880 on my way back from the DMV in my Z when I saw one of those come up behind me. I moved over a lane and gave the guy a thumbs up. He waved back.

As for Deloreans, in my old group at work when I was up in WA, there was one usually in our parking lot. At my work in the Bay Area (same company, different location and group), we also sometimes have a Delorean. There's no flux capacitor in either one AFAIK. :)

19. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A guy had a 300SL Gullwing I'd see about once a week. Later sold for around $5000. The Ford dealer had Cobras for $5000 and a street GT 40 for a little over $10,000 on the showroom floor. This was in Florida in 1967. You didn't specify when!

20. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't see this one, but a friend did and it freaked him out.
    Porsche 917.
    He was behind it on an on ramp, he said it went down the ramp-onto the freeway and disappeard from his site in total of about 4 seconds