1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the most gallons of gas you've filled

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by driveprius, Feb 5, 2006.

1. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 11 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]238066[/snapback]</div>

I found the PDF where I read about it...here is part of the quote:

Inside the gas tank is a flexible bladder. It contracts and expands to fill the empty void that would otherwise be filled with vapor as gasoline is consumed. The reduction of vapor emissions helps to keep Prius extraordinarily clean.
    Overfilling should be avoided, since adding gas after the pump automatically stops can create pressure within the bladder. This could cause gas to be expelled afterward. So just don't top off.
    Capacity reduces during the winter since cold temperatures cause the bladder to contract, up to 1.5 gallons (5.7 liters) in extreme conditions (below 0F / -18C degrees). That means you'll have to fill up sooner. But when temperatures are that dangerously low, you should really fill up at the halfway point anyway.

for the rest of it you can read the attached PDF

Read the rest of the article to fully understand, I didn't have it all right, but there it is.

2. ymos

ymos New Member

I get 9.6 gallon when the gauge starts bliking.

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just put 11.3 gallons in... the light just started flashing and I topped it off pretty good.
    The key though is not to put fuel in with the nozzle "sealing" the hole.. this builds up pressure and it can even regurgitate back out on you if your not careful.
    Having the nozzle at its very end where air can leak out is the key and just barley have it on... I never spill anymore.. it an art!

But normally you have about a gallon left once the light starts blinking.
    so if you get 45mpg... there you go.

But it can trick you if your driving fast... the mileage is a bit less and 45 miles clicks by pretty quick, and if its summer and your confident enough to use your air too, it will be even less.

Under "any" circumstance, you should be able to trust another 20- 30 miles after it blinks.

The Computer is amazingly accurate.

I think if you tapped into the existing tank and added another 20 gallons of capacity, the computer would still be accurate for mpg.. I think the weight thing is to tell you when your nearing empty....

Maybe someone can confirm or correct that.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually not sealing the filler handle is not recommended. before vapor recovery systems for gas tanks and fuel stations were implemented, escaped vapors accounted for 20% of our pollution.

if you are worried about splash back, dont overfill and hold the pump nozzle in place after you stop fueling. i do this and usually only hold it there for maybe 5 seconds or so. another trick is after the first shutoff, if the amount is significantly less than what you used according to your MFD, restart the fuel at the slowest setting you can maintain.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 12 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]347778[/snapback]</div>
    thanks Dave for the added tips.. I should have include the "right way" to do it too.
    I've seen those stats before and never knew if they are trying to say thats 20% of "prius drivers" pollution or mankind, or all drivers or what?

Its so funny how people create the reports, stats, and tests to say what they want to say or drive home a point. Its usually fueled by devices to bring in more money for thier cause.
    It gets totally abused in medicine!

But I would imagine the gas fumes that escape are not even worthy to be considered on the charting when you look at the total volume of terribly inefficient beaters and normal gasoline engines out there and the runtime of how long they are emmiting on a given day verses the few seconds of topping off our tanks!

The ground and the earth is constantly releasing Methane and other gases. And garbage from papermills, steel refineries, multiple issues we don't have time ti list.... So I've never let that be a concern. I honestly think its Hubbaloo! How did they measure that anyway?
    Assumed everyone if the world leaked at the same time a certain amount and got out thier trusty calculator?

Sounds like politics and money to me.... That may start another war, but IMO.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    part of the requirements for classification for SULEV is to not emit unburned fuel vapors. so ya, unburned fuel vapors used to be a huge problem and it was primarily from escaped fuel vapors from the tank. now the 20% figure was from years ago and it s not anywhere near that much any more. older cars used to vent their gas tanks directly to the atmosphere with no filter or nothing.

newer cars has limited venting and its all thru a vapor recovery system first which includes one way valves, reventing back to the tank, charcoal activated filtration, etc.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 12 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]347816[/snapback]</div>
    The method I have used, I agree, is a bit tricky and not for everybody, plus some pumps won't allow it.. they are just too picky.... but I can't even smell the gas so I think I"m doing pretty good.. I go very slow and yes, it takes an extra minute to finish.

I know I can be skeptical and even paranoid, but I really think all the fancy pass thrus and venting has not been for the atmosphere, but fof lawsuits from gas fires at the pump and spilling all over the place risking the whole station and everyone in it.

I know Toyota has done some eco stuff alright, but I really don't think Ford, Chevy and most of the others give a Damn in the least bit.. its politics IMO...

But at any rate, its not worth argueing with anyone, you may be totally right on all points, I just don't believe in alot of anything that comes from Gas companies.. somehow I don't think they are in our best interest.

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well that might be part of it too, but i do know that vapor recovery systems were like all environmental things. the institution of them were fought tooth and nail by the oil companies before they acquiesced.

in WA state, each gas station was required to install spill recovery and containment fields, upgraded double lined storage tanks, and pay for bi-annual inspections all at an average cost of something around $800,000 per station. this caused 30% of all stations in the state to go out of the gas business. this legislation, the oil companies did not take sitting down. but in the end, they has no choice. you were here so you know it was one of the most fervently debated issues of the early 90's

speaking of exploding gas stations, did you see the Mythbusters episode on that...pretty funny

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 12 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]347829[/snapback]</div>
    I used to be a fireman and its quite rare to get a gas tank to actually explode. Yes, you can leak gas and it will help fuel a fire, but very rare explosions.
    I was in Houston Texas and we had "lots" of car fires in the summers.

The tank needs to be pretty empty and the perfect fuel air mixture has to occur with the introduction of a spark

As you prob know, you can take a 5 gallon open bucket of gas and throw a cigarette into it and if your lucky, the gas will quench its fire when it hits the liquid.. just like water. At worst, it will start a flame that dances on top.

On the other hand,.... if you really can get it to explode, the vapors from one cup equals a stick of dynamite!

Its actually pretty safe stuff or else the layperson couldn't handle it.

But as far as the other.. I'm sure you are far more versed on the ins and outs of how it all came into being.

I wonder what organization really pushed it through legislation and what real facts they had to go off of and where they got them... I always suspect politics... thats almost always the case... to gender fear on behalf of the public to generate bucks to keep thier organization alive and thier cushy jobs.

10. dsyoo86

dsyoo86 New Member

10.59 gallons . scared the crap out of me

11. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I fill at two bars and always get about 8.5-9 gal

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I put in 11.3 the other day... go figure... either I had my tank really stretched or I was at a crooked gas station.

13. Prudence

Prudence New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Today I heard the beep warning me about needing gas, I didn't know what it was for a minute :unsure: until I saw the flashing last pip. I had to drive 15 miles to a station and put in 9.4 gallons, the most I've ever put in. Last time with one pip (not blinking) was 9.1 gallons. I usually fill at two pips which takes between 8 to 9 gallons. I always stop at the first shutoff.

14. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't it damage the charcoal filter if you top off?

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Sep 15 2007, 10:46 PM) [snapback]513192[/snapback]</div>
    Oh no, thats why I smoke non-filtered! :lol:

16. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got a 10.006 once. I think this is a fluke because interestingly enough this also corresponds to my greatest difference between MFD and hand calculations

MFD: 49.0
    Hand: 44.6

thats a 9.91% difference

I went 446 miles on this tank at 70 MPH on the highway only

17. upfisk

upfisk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One fill up in Phoenix, 112 outside temps, put 11.5 gal in tank.

I'm having trouble getting gas in the tank when the nozzle is tight against the fill tube, fuel just won't go in (again in 110 plus temps). So I've had to remove the end of the nozzle to get gas to flow. Up in the mountains, where I live there are no nozzle seals and the car fills fine, the temps are a moderate 85-90. I normally get 10 gallons in the car. That's at 3 pips.