1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the point in having the pollen filter run for just 3 mins?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alokeprasad, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    okok.. just to set things straight and make sure everyone's on the same page, there are 3 types of filters in the Prius (2 if you have a II or III).

1. Cabin air filter. This is your standard paper air filter that's behind the glovebox. It's a "dust & pollen" type filter so it won't filter the micro particles (like a particulate filter would)

2. Charcoal filter. This is the button on the climate control with an arrow going through a rectangle with holes in it. This is the one that closes the vents (recirculate) and filters the air completely. You can smell the difference in the air after a min. Now I'm not sure where this filter is located but you do have to replace it and it's not cheap, hence the 3 min timer.

3. Plasmacluster Ionizer. This is an ionizer filter found on IV and V models. This sends out charged ions from the driver's side vents in an attempt to capture particles and settle them down (you'll have to clean the dash more often cause it'll get dustier faster!).

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A couple of forum members maintain there's only one filter and all the "micro dust and pollen filter" button does is put the system in recirc mode and make the fan run faster for 3 minutes to clean the inside air.

3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    This is correct, as I am one of "those" forum members. There is no separate pollen filter.

And, as I understand it, the charcoal filter (located in the cover of the air intake filter in the engine compartment) is there to absorb fuel vapors when the car is turned off.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

1 person likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok then. Cause I know if I manually close the vents then run the fan at high speed, I'm not gonna get the same smelling air or the same results (ok I get the same results but it'll take much longer. The filter usually takes the smell out within 30-45 secs. Regular recirc can take a few mins)

5. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay...just pulled some info from the Owner's Manual.

Says the button in question (which I erroneously though was for the Plasmacluster -- even after reading the manual once) is for the pollen filter. I'm assuming this is the one behind the glovebox?

This operates for 3 min under recirc, unless it's cold out -- then operation is limited to one minute due to potential fogging issues.

The Plasmacluster is inoperation whenever the blower motor is on.

Pix for clix:

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  6. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found info on a Lexus salesman's tech briefing web site that explained (for Lexus IS--and it has the same "button") the difference is that regular recirculate still has 20% outside air, but Micro filter has no outside air. That would explain your experience, I think.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would that be similar in other cars (with the filter button). I.e. recirculate doesn't completely close the vents?

8. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mercedes is actually a carbon filter, a separate button and filter but with no timer, and described as such (had 2 of those) but Lexus and Toyota have this pollen/dust button that seems to be hindered in the translation from Japanese. On the Lexus, it says it will remove pollen from the car--I think they mean from the air. I think in general cars allow about 20% in, even on recirculate in order to address CO concerns.

1 person likes this.
  9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    kinda disappointing that we still get 20% outside air when on recirc... at least ALL outside air is filtered a little.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With the Gen II Prius this is a dealer settable option. The default is for some outside air during recirculation, but the dealer can change it for full recirculation. I wonder if it can be changed on the Gen III?

Tom

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

that would be nice. too many times we get stuck behind poorly maintained diesels, etc.

on Sat, my son woke up with labored breathing. we took him in and he spent the night suffering thru asthma treatments which has now made us more aware of the air quality he is getting since he has never exhibited any breathing issues before and he is VERY ACTIVE. hopefully the cause is environment since we have gone thru weather 30º below normal with humidity very low as well.

on the freeway, i always drive with vent closed expect for the momentary bouts of defrost (this is the reason why i take the extra time to constantly toggle is on and off) due to exhaust issues of other cars... ya, i know... pretty anal, but that is the way it is.

Attached Files:

12. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my experience, all cars have some outside air even in recirc mode. I think the idea is that if there is a carbon monoxide or some other leak to the cabin, there will still be some fresh air getting in. Always made sense to me.

I will admit that having the three-minute filter is good for keeping and/or getting bad smells, etc., out of the cabin.
    I'm not sure I agree with the poster who said this means the feature "works as advertised". I'd be interested in hearing from people with bad pollen allergies (fortunately I'm not one of them) if this really reduces their allergies. Given that pollen is not generally localized like dead skunk smell or even smoke, I'm not sure whether this device effectively reduces pollen woes . . .

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, a bit of a overpressure is good... i guess. seems to me that the BIGGEST source of CO would come from OUTSIDE the Pri than inside...