1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the range once the gas light comes on?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by NewportFam, Dec 8, 2012.

1. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just remember, just because you got 50 mpg for this tank, that does no mean that you will get that for the next 1.6 gallons. What now if it has gotten cold out side or your going up steep hills ware as before it was flat travel, or before you were going 45 MPH now your going 75 MPH or more. The last 1.6 MPG may only be 35 MPG. Just make sure to compensate for changes in travel patterns! :)

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    FYI; drove 110 miles past DTE= zero. it is pretty much set to just a few miles past when the blinking bar starts at 12.5% capacity

would i recommend anyone else do the same? no way. I was not lucky. i simply knew what the car could do and more importantly, it was a 2010.

if you have a 2009 or older, you still have a bladder and guessing what is in your tank (or what can be retrieved from it) is not more difficult, its impossible.

3. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I regularly pump 10.0 - 10.3 gallons into the car. Going 8 gallons on a fill vs 10 gallons on a fill is 300 miles for me. I'll take waiting 3 more weeks to fill up.

If you just fill the tank until the pump automatically stops you are about a gallon shy of full. I fill mine until I can see gas in the filler neck. Again I'll spend the extra 2 minutes at the pump if it means I can extend my gas station visit another 2 weeks.

I have to say in my case it's tough to tell when it's out. My regular daily commute is only about 3-5 miles on the gas per day. So I literally go a week with the Fuel indicator blinking. and the DTE at zero.

Probably not the best advice but i have a good memmory and am smart about it. I feel it's safe to save you have about 30 ICE miles left after the light starts blinking.

Lastly just FYI for those that didn't notice, the DTE adds EV miles. So it can say "0" on an empty charge with the fuel level light blinking but then after a full charge say "11".

4. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    while that's true, it seems to deduct miles faster than you actually deplete them. or, perhaps, it deducts them without consideration for how much battery you actually use. so for example, if you start out on a full charge and then go downhill 5 miles, DTE will read 6 miles even though you haven't depleted any battery and it should still say 11.

5. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah I agree, I always attested it to the DTE not accounting for regenerative braking. On the way to work its much worse then the way home. Way to work is all down hill, way home is all uphill.