1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's this I saw on ebay?: Prius AUTOMATIC EV MODE-ALL MODELS/YEARS NW10-NW11-NW20

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by andrewsilver, Jun 9, 2008.

1. andrewsilver

andrewsilver Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Saw this on ebay - any ideas what this is?

eBay Motors: Prius AUTOMATIC EV MODE-ALL MODELS/YEARS NW10-NW11-NW20 (item 200228929481 end time Jun-09-08 19:02:44 PDT)

Description:
    SAVE SOME REAL GAS AND CASH-ARE YOU SICK OF YOUR PRIUS PETROL MOTOR RUNNING WHEN YOU KNOW ITS NOT NEEDED-FIX THAT FOR GOOD-WITHOUT WRECKING YOUR PRIUS BATTERY BY FITTING A PRIUS LIBERATOR UNIT works in all models 2008-1997worldwide NW20-NW11-NW10 Works AUTOMATICALLY -EASY IDIOTS installation instructions TAKES 10 MINUTES MAX Using only pliers (LEFTHAND DRIVE) and Philips screwdriver (RIGHTHAND DRIVE) Adding this simple unit, ,KEEPS YOUR BATTERY WITHIN ITS TOYOTA DESIGN LIMITS AUTOMATICALLY,(unlike the EV button installed in Japan,for moving cars from one side of the road to the other, which can be misused on a flat battery on some earlier models)IT delays your motor start-up, so it only runs when needed while preserving the motor high temp safety features, although the setting is reduced. Anyone with a cell-phone or portable phone knows the more you charge their batteries without allowing them to nearly discharge the less less capacity from the battery you get over time.THE Same with your PRIUS. My NW11 PRIUS 2000 had settled to a maximum fuel economy of around 18.9km/ltr , 46miles per US gallon(4ltrs)with 107,000Km on the clock doing a repetitive work run of 42km round trip on rolling paved open hilly roads. I got sick of my petrol motor starting and running for ages on start-up or when it was obvious the battery was charged, boiling the radiator water when my car was at crawling speed to the end of the road or car parks or at 50Km/30Mph when it was not needed to start yet, with the battery fully charged, or when going down a hill with my foot off the accelerator. It really hacked me off. SO I DID THIS MOD and got initially 19.6/20.4/21.3 and now steady around 22.4-22.6k/litre after 4 tank fills. Winter gas economy fade is reduced as well THAT’S 18.9to 22.4km a BIG 3.5k/ltr./18.5% FREE MILES 4 me each tank fill YOUR FUEL ECONOMY will rise with each tank re-fill as Increased Battery Capacity and Performance shows, as its cycled further thru its programmed charging range (80% down to 40%) and that will enable it to stay in battery mode longer around town, due to motor kicking in only when demanded. I’m Getting 3km (around 2 miles) on the flat when babying it. As a bonus your PRIUS will become gradually peppier as the battery is able to give a stronger boost as you accelerate before it fades. NW10/11 ECU LEFT-HAND DRIVE(America) BEHIND GLOVE BOX. you only have to release two plastic securing pegs on the left and right to allow removal for easy access. RIGHT HAND DRIVE –remove two Philip screws at bottom of dash ankle height, one on each side under the steering wheel, then pull plastic dash towards you-it is clipped in. ECU is in the same physical spot in both cars.Push the two pins in the back of a plug with a pair of pliers and its done. NOTE ALL BIDDERS WILL RECIEVE A SECOND CHANCE OFFER AT THE FINAL BID PRICE-so no bid no offer[​IMG]

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    While it is certainly true that an EV-enabling button can be added to Prius 2004 - onwards, nearly everything else stated in the offer is outside the information reported on Prius internet groups for years.

It is possible that this capability existed before 2004, but I am extremely doubtful. The many Prius hackers would not have noticed, and enthusiastically spilled the beans?

Boiling radiator water is extremely unlikely in any Prius (functioning correctly) and adds no credibility to the piece. I shall not be bidding.

3. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I sell on eBay often.
    This listing looks bogus.
    I recently had someone "hijack" a bid by stealing someones id.
    This looks the same,no recent activity,no feedback percentage even while
    showing number of feedbacks.
    Methinks eBay needs to look into this.

4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The guy can't handle paragraphs but he wants to start cutting wires in my dash? :eek:

I'll Pass.

"Anyone with a cell-phone or portable phone knows the more you charge their batteries without allowing them to nearly discharge the less less capacity from the battery you get over time.THE Same with your PRIUS."

Are cell phones running off NIMH batteries now? This statement disagrees with my understanding of how Toyota manages the battery state of charge.

I got sick of my petrol motor starting and running for ages on start-up or... , boiling the radiator water when my car was at crawling speed

Suggests problem with the car. Bad thermostat maybe?

As a bonus your PRIUS will become gradually peppier as the battery is able to give a stronger boost as you accelerate before it fades.

Er, what?

The only thing I can think of is that he might be spoofing the signal that tells the ECU when the exaust is warm. If it always thinks the exaust is warm it would never run the motor just to heat it up.

5. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    From the descriptions, it seems similar to the temperature hack that Bob Wilson has done:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_temp.html

6. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would pass on any product whose ad says:

"EASY IDIOTS installation instructions".

Presumably, only "EASY IDIOTS" who don't ask advice on priuschat would buy such a product.