1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's up with Coastal Tech?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MGBGT, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

My experience mirrors RAF's exactly -- I called the non-toll-free number, spoke directly to Kelley first try. She was very helpful and answered my questions and accepted my order -- XM radio, EV kit, 12V outlet, front-end mask, and the NAV "I agree"/run-defeat kit. She advised me the NAV kits weren't shipping and didn't have an ETA for them. We agreed to have them ship the in-stock items and wait for the rest.

This was 4 April and I received an electronic shipping/tracking notice a couple of days later. I received everything but the NAV kit about a week later. I live in northwest Montana, so from Florida, that is not too bad.

I think the key was using the non-toll-free number and speaking to a person. Not to make any apologies for Coastal, but if their automated/electronic ordering isn't working correctly, they might not even see the orders they are missing.

BUT, that said, there are plenty of small businesses that manage to successfully fill orders and maintain electronic contact with their customers.

At this point, I am happy to leave the NAV kit on back or pre-order. They haven't charged my card for it, and if I get around to installing Dr. F's pushbutton run-signal defeat first, I'll cancel the order. Until then I'll let it ride.

I know all of this is little help to you, but it is one more data point. . .

Good luck!

Steve Z
    near Libby, MT USA

2. raf

raf Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"90857)</div>
    XM radio, mudflaps, and kits ordered in March, received in March. Receiver hitch ordered about a month ago, received within a couple of weeks.

3. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm in Twin Cities/Minnesota. I ordered my hitch on 4/21, got an email 4/28 that it was sold out, and nothing since.

Rob

4. Bob259

Bob259 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just tried to call and the regular and 800 numbers have been disconnected also... Guess we'll never get our mud flaps and auto door lock feature. Seeing they did this to so many here and now disconnected their phones they should be removed from this site.

5. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob259\";p=\"91191)</div>
    Try again.

I just now called the 800 number since reading your post and while it took 10 rings, I got an answer "Coastal Electronic Technologies."

6. Bob259

Bob259 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse\";p=\"91207)</div>
    Try again.

I just now called the 800 number since reading your post and while it took 10 rings, I got an answer "Coastal Electronic Technologies."
    [/b][/quote]

What's the number you called. I got a message from the phone company saying it was no longer in service.

7. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob259\";p=\"91215)</div>
    Try again.

[/b][/quote]

What's the number you called. I got a message from the phone company saying it was no longer in service.[/b][/quote]
    I got the phone number off of their website 800-507-2234.

http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm

8. Bob259

Bob259 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse\";p=\"91219)</div>
    Try again.

[/b][/quote]

What's the number you called. I got a message from the phone company saying it was no longer in service.[/b][/quote]
    I got the phone number off of their website 800-507-2234.

http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm
    [/b][/quote]

Thanks.. I just tried again and got through on the 800 number this time. Funny this AM I got that message that it was disconnected. Unfortunately the door auto lock kit is out of stock and that is what was holding up the wife's order. Getting the mud flaps shipped and we'll just have to wait for the lock kit.

9. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I really don't mean to be unsympathetic, but I ordered the viewtech, auto door lock and nav module from coastal a few months ago and I wait patiently for them to ship when the products are ready. I enjoy the car everyday even without those additions and it will be even better when the mods come. If the products are not complete, just wait. I hope he adds the bluetooth to the nav module before it ships.

10. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dion\";p=\"91232)</div>
    I intend to place an order for the EV switch, power outlet mod, auto door locks and possibly the mudflaps soon, well in advance of getting delivery of my Prius. Might as well overlap the waiting periods. I was just alarmed that their phone number might have been disconnected, so jumped on calling them for myself to verify.

I want the NAV override mod but will wait unit it's clear about the Bluetooth override feature as well. Also interested in the video with backup camera, but I'm not sure I want the frame cam or something else, so I'll wait to order those until I hear that they are shipping as well.

11. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is Coastaletech not making enough money to outsource their mods production someplace that can mass-produce?

I'm postulating that Coastaletech's strength is their great R&D (Dave) for coming up with new tech, but their order fulfillment is weak due to (Dave?) being overloaded doing all that new R&D?

12. longshortofit

longshortofit Junior Member

I just talked with them on my order and found out that if you ordered from their old web order program more than one item they hold the whole order before shipping. Their new web order program lets you specify that you want items shipped separately when they are in stock.

Otherwise call them and let them know you want your order change to reflect this shipment method when ready.

I ordered the EV kit and NAV kit. My EV kit was held back until they would be able to fill the NAV kit also. When I called they switched it and now I am getting the EV kit shipped and the NAV kit will ship when in stock.

Long & Short of it ~~~_/)_~~~

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tell me when you get your EV mod. I'm waiting for mine too.

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That would have been fine, but they should post that, not a customer. Even better, post that information on their website.

15. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Ok everybody - use the phone! That previous bit if advise given within this thread is exactly what you should do. Skip the emails.

Just spoke with Coastal and the Auto Door Locks and NAV Kit are out of stock and "may" be shipping within a couple of weeks. Mudflaps are in stock so I added to my order. They will ship all items separately as they become available.

The only notification will be an email tracking notice from UPS.

So far, the anticipation while waiting for these new parts is exceeded only by the wait for our new car.

16. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Just got a my UPS tracking notice from Coastal. Less than 24 hours after changing my order (I added something they had in stock.)

Things are looking up - me thinks!

17. Bob259

Bob259 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Lucky you,, I called and was told the mud flaps were in stock and they would ship early last week and haven't got anything yet.... They are just not that good at fufulling customer orders as promised.

18. dreichla

dreichla New Member

The mud flaps arrived promptly as promised. :party:

They also bribed me with a box of jelly beans. It worked. Now, I can sit by and eat them while I wait for the NAV kit and Door Locks.

19. paul16451

paul16451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cool! I went on their site today and ordered a few things...lets see how long it takes them...:). I ordered the air filter, EV switch, power outlet mod, and front end mask. I did notice they had a check box that asked if you would accept partial orders if something wasn't in stock (which I checked), so, I'm hopeful...plus I selected the 2 day ship method.

20. chasabel

chasabel Junior Member

UPDATE: Kelley called and someone had sent her my post.
    She was quite upset because I hadn't tried to call her.
    The upshot is, she apparently didnt get my cancel email and
    was willing to take the flaps back and refund all of my money.
    She is even sending me a 'FREE' Power Outlet Mod.
    They don't send email confirmations, just the order page
    printed is your receipt for the order.
    I guess the best way to communicate is via phone call.
    She is trying very hard to reestablish confidence in their Company.
    Charlie