1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's with all the bad writing?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Alnilam, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Ron Dupuy

Ron Dupuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am constantly annoyed by poor grammar, improper spelling, and the refusal to capitalize. So much so, that I quit reading those posts when I discover it. If you have something to write, write it correctly.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bee13 @ Oct 7 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]329571[/snapback]</div>
    You are welcome. You should thank her school. I only copied and pasted from her school's English Department web page.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 7 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]329578[/snapback]</div>
    you made me laugh!

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I guess I am dense, but what is wrong with tattoos? Is it misspelled?

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Oct 7 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]329584[/snapback]</div>
    No, it isn't. I must be dense too.

tattoo (from the Oxford English Dictionary)

a. The act or practice of tattooing the skin (see TATTOO v.2); the mark or design made by tattooing.
    [1769 COOK Jrnl. 1st Voy. July (1893) 93 Both sexes paint their Bodys, Tattow, as it is called in their Language. This is done by inlaying the Colour of Black under their skins, in such a manner as to be indelible.] 1777 G. FORSTER Voy. round World I. 390 The punctuation which the natives call tattow. 1803 J. BURNEY Discov. S. Sea I. ii. 61 They [natives of the Philippines] had the custom of marking their bodies in the manner, which, to use a word lately adopted from the language of a people more recently discovered, we call tattow. 1863 R. F. BURTON Abeokuta I. iii. 104 There was a vast variety of tattoos and ornamentation. 1906 Athenæum 17 Mar. 334/2 The Kenyahs and Sea-Dayaks also appear to have borrowed the practice of tatu very largely from the Kenyans; but most of the Indonesian tribes have all had..a distinctive tatu.

b. attrib. and Comb., as tattoo mark.
    1845 J. COULTER Adv. in Pacific xiv. 209 Then entered the tatoo-men. 1892 ‘MARK TWAIN’ Amer. Claimant xvi. 164 His horny hands and wrists were covered with tattoo-marks. 1899 WERNER Capt. of Locusts 9 His teeth are not filed, and he has strange tattoo-marks on his face.

6. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    what does a midget on an island have to do with marking up you're body?

7. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 7 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]329543[/snapback]</div>
    I think you mean "loser."

You make my point!

I'll add your description to my signature.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Oct 7 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]329584[/snapback]</div>
    Nah. It's a joke from an accompanying thread. Sorry.

8. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 7 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]329567[/snapback]</div>
    I wondered why you do that because it is pretty clear that you know how to write correctly. You have such a commanding presence on this forum and demonstrate such knowlege and sensitivity to others that this choice of writing style seems out of character. It is like you dress properly but chose not to wash your face or comb your hair before going out to shop. You may be unaware of it but it sends a message to others that you may not want them to receive.

I haven't missed the meaning in your posts (I think), but when combined with the other errors which crop up from time to time, it can be more difficult to get the meaning or need being expressed by the poster. It is really sad to see the language we use to communicate becoming less effective both for the writer and the reader. Writing is a skill which is worth while to have and which is improved with practice. What harm is there in at least trying to maintain that skill?

What harm is there, also, in being a good example for others when we are able to do so?

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 7 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]329656[/snapback]</div>
    You missed the other error in there; no points for you.

(That's one of my favorite subtle jokes. For full effect, I should wear the T-shirt).

10. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 7 2006, 09:20 PM) [snapback]329670[/snapback]</div>
    No I didn't. (your/you're) and he left "if" out of the sentence.

I just get tired of being a pedant sometimes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Oct 7 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]329668[/snapback]</div>
    Especially one who is soon to be a Doctor. (From the Latin meaning "one who teaches.")

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 8 2006, 12:48 AM) [snapback]329680[/snapback]</div>
    I can empathize. Nobody is more of a grammar pedant than me.

(I realize you're one of the few who will get THAT joke)

12. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 8 2006, 12:52 AM) [snapback]329682[/snapback]</div>
    What a far out thread.

I once wrote an entire paper, with no punctuation. At all. And the point?

I was writing just like they did back in ancient times, when they wrote on papyrus, and transcribing the Torah.

No periods. No capital letters. No verse numbers. It was hard to read, and made one appreciate the pure strength of those words, to stand up so strong, for so long.

I received an 'A'.

13. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Oct 7 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]329697[/snapback]</div>
    In those days there were no capital letters and the grammar didn't require punctuation. Hebrew doesn't even have vowels. You get to guess them. In the meantime it was discovered that these little trinkets made reading a whole lot easier. Do you feel that Shakespeare would be more pleasant to read (or as popular) if he wrote like you did? You wrote that way to make some kind of point and I guess it worked. The rest of us count on a common standard in our writing. It facilitates understanding, the purpose of writing. Invent a new language, if you want, but don't be surprised if your following is small.

I bet I made another friend there! Far out!

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 7 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]329656[/snapback]</div>
    You lost this reader then, and in the original post!

You need to learn to write more better.

15. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 7 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]329530[/snapback]</div>
    In my experience the ability to spell is mostly inherited. I've always been able to spell well but I take no credit for it. My father was a good speller and although his sister had a few tiles loose she could spell and used to write faultless but loquacious letters to me. I used to work in an office where the brightest of employees couldn't spell but nobody was courageous enough to mention it. We just quietly corrected his writing when we could. I remember he always wrote gravil for gravel.

A stge thg abt wrtg is tt you dt nd all the ltrs in a wd & ppe r findg ths ot.

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 7 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]329500[/snapback]</div>
    This site used to have a spell checker, but it hasn't been working since the crash. It kept saying "Prius" was misspelled.

17. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Oct 8 2006, 07:24 AM) [snapback]329724[/snapback]</div>
    You're right. I'll take a corse! ;)

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Oct 8 2006, 12:11 AM) [snapback]329668[/snapback]</div>
    my general character is pretty informal, which is well reflected in the fact that i wear jeans and a t-shirt to work and i'm too lazy to hit the shift key every few seconds. :p if i can convey that i know language and how to use it, i think i've done alright.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 8 2006, 12:51 AM) [snapback]329680[/snapback]</div>
    i can guarantee you, i will not be teaching. it's not my thing. a phd is a degree awarded for original contributions to knowledge. that is my thing.

19. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Omigosh! (not really a word) Spelling & grammar issues on PriusChat (incomplete sentence)? How bogus (current teenage parlance) is that? C'mon (slang contraction), I thought this was a site for sharing information about our common interest, the Prius.

(Word omitted) Gotta (slang contraction) say I personally enjoy the posts which present information that I'm interested in reading even if they do exercise creative grammatical & orthographical license but I guess that's just me. (run on sentence).

Those who join me in saying "yes" to valuable posts of any type definitely want PC to be a "Site for sore 'ayes'" <_<

i think that those who prefer not to capitalize on the situation might prefer i restate that as a "Site for sore i's." <_< <_<

20. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starfall @ Oct 8 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]329765[/snapback]</div>
    Starfall

I am not one who gets all bent out of shape over this issue. That is not the point. The point is that written communication has no non verbal part to clarify meaning. We often do not know when we are losing the meaning teansfer which we are attempting. The more obstacles we place in our paths, the more likely it is that a meaning we DIDN'T intend is the one which makes it across the divide which separates us. It is more considerate of both ourselves and each other to be clear in our communication.

There is no reason why we should be strict and proper, however.

When we use code or are too brief, we are limiting who will understand and how much will be grasped by the readers. When we are just sloppy, it is worse.

That is just the way it is.