1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's with all the bad writing?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Alnilam, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 10 2006, 05:55 AM) [snapback]330585[/snapback]</div>
    What this thread revals to me is the HUGE diversity of people who own Prii.

Some people think insulting is stimulating.

At least they do it clearly in this thread.

2. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 9 2006, 11:35 PM) [snapback]330501[/snapback]</div>
    I think that we can lay the blame in part on the rise in text messaging. On a lot of the current crop of PDA it is very hard to hit the upper case key.

Now, calm down and chant ohmmmmmmm ohmmmmmmmm

<I learned yoga from an electrical engineer>

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Oct 10 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]330611[/snapback]</div>
    ...and SOME people think butting in and making useless commentary is stimulating...

Just don't hit me with your

[​IMG]

...and all will be well.

:D

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you know the spelling really doesn't matter?....!

Example: :eek: :blink: :huh:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Taken from:
    http://dan.hersam.com/archives/2005/01/27/...jumbled-letters

As long as the first & last letters are where they are supposed to be the mind can read the post.

Aside from irritating the hell out of the spelling NAZI'S, it really doesn't matter.. :) ;) B)

Good one M.S.! (hmm that looks like a cane used in Ft. Meyers Fl.) :lol:

Well if you're one who likes to irritate, misspell your wrods.. The Spelling Nazis will get ya...

Lord help those who write in Ebonics, the spelling nazi's may form a whining squad and line the offenders up along a wall and let them have it.... :rolleyes:

5. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Oct 10 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]330629[/snapback]</div>
    Achtung!

Spelling doesn't matter if you make your posts look like comic books full of boring, overused emoticons. The "Dumbing Down of America" clique is hard at work!

Next we can get rid of "thinking." Oops. I see it's already started.

"misspell your wrods"

I rest my case.

Himmler

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

Do spelling mistakes in Latin count?

7. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ebonics.

PG04 brought this up. I wonder why....

I studied a lot of linguistics in college and Black English (BE), as it was called back then, came under discussion.

It is a non-standard English, (like Cajun French is a non-standard French) but it follows rules every bit as clear as those followed by the British or Parisians.

I've heard people who themselves ignore virtually every rule taught in English for Dummies (Advanced Edition) make fun of those who say, for example, "I be coming soon."

In BE grammar, the verb "to be" is treated as a regular verb and works like most others.

For example:
    to run:
    I run
    You run
    He runs

to be:
    I be
    you be
    He bes

(Funny. My spell checker didn't mark "bes.")

When somebody "axes a question" in BE, he/she is following similar rules of pronunciation concerning words containing "k" and "s." It's not ignorant, just the opposite. It is following the rules, unlike many here who think any rules don't apply to them. (Funny attitude for a cop....)

This grammar was formulated around 300 years ago by people desperate to learn a new language imposed upon them rather suddenly. They didn't learn it at their leisure in the University of Virginia. And the gentle folks they worked for didn't take the time to correct their little linguistic shortcomings. They just laughed at them as "quaint," feeling quite superior with their excellent English. "Y'all gidit?"

The recent arrivals then taught what they knew to their kids and, over time, it became an established language. Many people speak both languages, BE and Standard English, switching from one to the other when convenient. Or not switching when they want to pull our chain sometimes.

I've been in Louisiana and seen "real" French folks make fun of the Cajuns. It made them feel so upper class. It's always been the same. People who are lacking in something will try to hide it by pointing out a difference in others.

8. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 10 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]330664[/snapback]</div>
    Yes they do. If I'm going to write in Latin, I have to spell it properly. "When in Rome...."

My excuse is that I wrote it late at night and my Latin dictionary wasn't available. And I made the mistake of buying the cheap English-only spell checker. That'll teach me.

So this morning I checked and it was "audax" not "audex." I corrected it but not before I was caught.

Good find! I like to be "got" like this.

See: even a Nazi can err. Who'd have thunk it?

9. jared2

jared2 New Member

You'd best be watch'in your spell'in 'case I be axing a question.

10. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 10 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]330684[/snapback]</div>
    That's funny....

You don't look Italian!

(Don't even start to flame that. I'm Italian and I know what we all look like.)

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 10 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]330684[/snapback]</div>
    it combo numbah fYe wit FLY Lice!!!

:eek:

:p

12. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 10 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]330644[/snapback]</div>
    Oh I just can't resist ...

Bad spelling, grammar and the over-use of :)s will make some people [​IMG]. They may even feel the need to [​IMG] about it. It's possible they think anyone who doesn't see the need for good writing on the internet should [​IMG].

Of course, others will see these people as [​IMG]. They might :rolleyes: at them or they may even go so far as to [​IMG].

But if we could all get together and [​IMG], we actually might find some common ground.

That's just my [​IMG]

13. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

Alnilam:

Look at your thread's sub-title.

Do you see anything wrong?

;)

14. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BrianTheDog @ Oct 10 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]330703[/snapback]</div>
    I feel a headache coming on.....

What's with all the bad writing?, Your shift key broken?

The spelling is OK. The form is colloquial. "What's with all the bad writing?" I copied from a previous hot thread, "What's with all the tattoos?"

It should, more properly be "What is it with all the bad writing?" But I deliberately chose this for continuity. "What is it" has a history of accepted use. " Ex: "What is it with you?"

"Your shift key broken?" lacks the auxiliary verb "is."

Am I getting close?

If it's the colloquial you are pointing to, I stand by it. Language may be bent for effect. Think Shakespeare for a start. I'm not quite the Nazi I appear to be.

Either of those two "sentences" could be found in a book or article and an editor would let them stand. I think they might draw the line at:

whatz with all teh baad writin you're shift key brokn

If you are going to break the rules, there should be a reason other than laziness, I think. It should be for effect and done sparingly to make a point.

Now hit me with what I missed and I'll try to take it like a man.

15. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 10 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]330719[/snapback]</div>
    When reading the thread, the subtitle is separated from the title by a comma. Therefore it reads: What's with all the bad writing?, Your shift key broken?

16. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 10 2006, 10:31 AM) [snapback]330704[/snapback]</div>
    Now that is funny! The emoticons are creative and new and not just the same tired ones found to the left of the writing window. I'm going to steal them! Even comic books can be fun if you work at them just a little.

Well done!

17. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 10 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]330727[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

Allow me to suggest using Firefox as your browser and adding the "Smiley Xtra" extension. (Don't blame me for the spelling of 'Xtra')

18. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

You got it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 10 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]330719[/snapback]</div>
    It made me :D .

19. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 10 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]330726[/snapback]</div>
    OK, that is right if you read it at the top of the page where they are merged together.

But if you read the title/subtitle in the FHOP index, they come out as just that: Title, on one line, and Subtitle on the next. I entered them on two separate lines in the PriusChat writer and started each line with a capital letter. It's a built in thing I can't work around.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 10 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]330729[/snapback]</div>
    gasp!

you are awesome, proco! i love it!