1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Sep 9, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 11 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]510620[/snapback]</div>
    Years ago, during the Vietnam war, when we peaceniks were protesting, and the war-mongers were shouting "Go back to Russia," as if any of us had ever been there, a friend of mine had a doormat with a flag on it. People like Bush would have accused us of being communists (which I was, but most of my anti-war friends were not) for wiping our feet on a flag doormat. I thought it was a great idea. And I still do. Bush wiping his feet on a flag just shows that even the Moron-in-Chief can do something right once in a while.

Don't let anybody say I don't give the guy credit if he does something right. :)

2. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to have bored you all with my relentless pursuit of the truth.
    Here is an image of the Bush flag desecration event from a different photographer and a different news service.Finally this is definitive proof that the event occurred.IMO its been covered up on the internet.[attachmentid=11373]
    http://en.epochtimes.com/news/6-9-11/45854.html
    Im bumping this so Megansprius wont miss it.

Attached Files:

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 10 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]510035[/snapback]</div>
    So you're saying...the President committed a gaff in etiquette?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Sep 10 2007, 10:39 AM) [snapback]510064[/snapback]</div>
    Mexicans would consider this disrespectful.

When I was in college our choir planned a tour of Mexico. We had to memorize the Mexican national anthem in Spanish. We worked quite hard on it. And never got to perform it. Our hosts the first evening, a local University, informed us that their national anthem is reserved for solemn occasions. Unlike our anthem, which is sung before sporting events, they reserve the singing of their anthem only for special occasions and events. They would consider it disrespectful to sing it before a sporting event or just to open a college concert. So...we dropped it from the program immediately.

I must say I tend to agree with them. Familiarity breeds contempt. (Then there's Roseanne Barr's interpretation.)

4. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Sep 11 2007, 07:03 PM) [snapback]510903[/snapback]</div>
    I think we both spent way to much time on this :) . Reviewing lots of photos on the Getty site, I will concede that it was late in the day, overcast, with odd light.

Which got me wondering...why the heck stand on it? And why did this story go nowhere?

At least one blog asserts the doormat is the property of Ladder Co 10. So if you're visiting that firehouse, as Bush did that day sometime after 5pm, and those guys ask you to stand on it, what cha gonna do? That at least would explain to me why this story never moved beyond the blogosphere. It's a no-win story to make fun of someone standing on something the firemen across from WTC use to remember the friends they lost. It suddenly switches to a story about whether the firemen of Ladder Co 10 have good taste or not. Hence, no major press joking about this photo.

5. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Sep 11 2007, 07:03 PM) [snapback]510903[/snapback]</div>
    I think we both spent way to much time on this :) . Reviewing lots of photos on the Getty site, I will concede that it was late in the day, overcast, with odd light.

Which got me wondering...why the heck stand on it? And why did this story go nowhere?

At least one blog asserts the doormat is the property of Ladder Co 10. So if you're visiting that firehouse, as Bush did that day sometime after 5pm, and those guys ask you to stand on it, what cha gonna do? That at least would explain to me why this story never moved beyond the blogosphere. It's a no-win story to make fun of someone standing on something the firemen across from WTC use to remember the friends they lost. It suddenly switches to a story about whether the firemen of Ladder Co 10 have good taste or not. Hence, no major press joking about this photo.

6. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was dubious, but the credit helped me find it. Here it is on the Getty Images site. I wanted to link directly to a news agency source, rather than to someone else that's copied it. It was taken 9/10/2006.

A doormat with a flag on it is tacky in itself; the President could have at least stood behind it rather than on it.

7. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was dubious, but the credit helped me find it. Here it is on the Getty Images site. I wanted to link directly to a news agency source, rather than to someone else that's copied it. It was taken 9/10/2006.

A doormat with a flag on it is tacky in itself; the President could have at least stood behind it rather than on it.