1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's your EV/HV Pattern for longer trips?

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by stevepea, Jun 11, 2017.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just curious what everyone's pattern is (for best MPG/EV Range) when you have a full EV charge, but have to go well over that amount for fast freeway driving (say 50 miles there, 50 miles back, with no place to charge). What pattern do you use?

I think a lot of people will generally use the EV until they get on the freeway -- but if you know you won't have enough EV Range for your whole trip, what to people do about accelerating upon first entering the freeway? Do you switch from EV to HV before or after the accel to cruising speed? Which is better?
    -------------------
    Here's what I've been doing for such trips (the reason I save my EV for the way home is often the traffic can sometimes be more congested on the way home on weekends):

Going up:
    EV until I get on the freeway.
    Then HV on freeway all the way up (though I don't know when to switch over -- before or after accelerating to cruising speed? I've tried both...)
    Once off the freeway, EV again.
    --
    Going home:
    EV from start -- getting to the freeway, during the accel, then on the freeway all the way until the EV range runs out. Usually HV comes when I'm 2/3rds of the way home.

How does that gel with what you guys do on similar trips (such as an easy "Sunday drive" to someplace 50 miles each direction away?)

#1 stevepea, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    a few weeks ago went to San Diego airport (60 mi from my house) for a 4 day trip, while they have EV chargers, didn't want to leave it plugged in for 4 days, also went a little faster than usual (flight left at 6:15am), i did switch to EV on the longer downhills but mostly HV, had ~ 20 miles left when i arrived which was good enough for the trip home.
    When i went up to Monterey (~ 400 miles one way) i knew i would not be able to charge so used EV primarily off fwy (except going down grapevine w/DRCC at 65 and gaining ~ 11EV miles), also played with charge mode

3. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I go to my sons house which is about 55 miles away I use EV all the way. First I drive to Schoolcraft Community College 21 miles, charge there, then drive to Washtinaw Community college another 21 or so miles, charge there, then drive the rest of the way to my sons house 7 miles. after I'm finished at my sons house I reverse the process. Takes all darn day but hey, it's all EV 110 miles:D besides the electricity is free.:cool:

4. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I did my US 2 trip across North America from Michigan to Washington State I would charge at each Motel I stayed at every night, then take off going 70, 75 MPH (speed limit in Mt and ID is 80 MPH) I would get about 14 miles EV before ICE kicked in. I averaged about 46, 48 MPG on the way there and 54 MPG on the way back. On my way through Casper WY from Idaho Falls via route 26 I averaged 67.8 MPG. On one downhill trek I gained a much as 4.1 miles EV:eek:

5. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks, appreciate the replies, but can I ask (maybe I should've been clearer):

I'm actually more interested in what everyone does when you have to accelerate on the freeway.

If you're going to have to put it in HV anyway (due to there not being enough EV range for your whole trip) do you wait until you've accelerated to cruising speed to switch to HV, or do you switch to HV before you accelerate?

Thanks!

6. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    accelerate to cruising speed and use up all of the EV:cool:

Prius from Dad likes this.
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Before getting onto the highway.

Save EV electricity for later. You'll still have HV electricity available for the acceleration.

For long road trips, take advantage Charge-Mode when more EV could be handy. That worked out well on our 1,700-mile adventure a few weeks ago.

#7 john1701a, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    stevepea likes this.
  8. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I use EV until gone, then HV for the rest of the way. You can still use the HV portion of the battery at highway speeds. I did that today for a 120 mile round trip averaging 70 mph half way and 60 mph the last half. Overall mpg was 82.2 with 1 charge.

9. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I use EV till I get on freeway, then switch to HV. This only occurs on longer trips which are longer than my EV range. On long downhills, ie, Grapevine, I'll switch back to EV and use B mode to get some more EV back. The northern Grapevine downhill portion is an extreme example, but generally if I know the terrain enough I take advantage of the areas to recover EV.

Edit: I do try to make sure by the time I get home I've used up all the EV range I had.

#9 alexcue, Jun 12, 2017
    stevepea and Prius from Dad like this.
  10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If I tried that, I would be sleeping on the couch. :LOL:

11. Jordango

Jordango Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I use EV until it's gone, then it switches to HV. By the way, I went to Idyllwild this weekend. It's up in the mountains above Palm Springs. On my way down the hill, I was obviously braking frequently on curvy mountain roads. My battery charged while I was driving! I was amazed.

12. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've had this happen once. My EV was depleted and after some hard braking the EV portion of the battery showed a charge (I was in D mode). The EV depleted 30 miles before it started recharging. I also was amazed.:)

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  13. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

When I go to my sons house which is about 55 miles away I use EV all the way. First I drive to Schoolcraft Community College 21 miles, charge there, then drive to Washtinaw Community college another 21 or so miles, charge there, then drive the rest of the way to my sons house 7 miles. after I'm finished at my sons house I reverse the process. Takes all darn day but hey, it's all EV 110 miles:D besides the electricity is free.:cool:
    If I tried that, I would be sleeping on the couch. :LOL:

well......while charging for an hour and a half each time (four times) you would find me napping in the car.:p

14. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So I guess some people (if they're going to put it to HV anyway for a long freeway trip) do so before the freeway accel, and others after the freeway accel. I guess the HV accel uses some EV anyway (a mix of both), so if I'm going to put it in HV anyway (to save the EV for later street driving, etc) maybe I'll try putting it to HV right as I enter the freeway, before the accel. The only question I had before was, by using EV to get the the freeway then suddenly putting it to HV right as you accel to get up to freeway speed... the ICE has been off for a day or two (engine is cold), and wasn't sure how turning the ICE on right as one needs sudden acceleration would be for the engine. But I guess it's not a lot different than if you just do everything in EV first, and when the EV runs out, the HV (which has still been cold) turns on suddenly...

Next time you're going down hills (Idyllwild, Big Bear, etc), try it in "B" instead of "D" -- it will charge the battery faster just by taking your foot off the pedal. Though I also use "B" for flat start-and-stop driving, its original intent was for going down hills. If you find yourself going up to Idyllwild a lot, next time trying putting it in "B" on the way down, and watch the EV range extend!

#14 stevepea, Jun 12, 2017
  15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The warm-up cycle prevents engine stress. Electricity from the battery is used to hold RPM down while the warming takes place.

stevepea likes this.
  16. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The best way to answer this is to do both while monitoring the segment mileage. Do it multiple times both ways and see which one gives you the best mileage. There is a lot of qualitative information coming out about Primes but very little quantitative information. See the post from priuscatprimeguy for quantitative example. The idea is to maximize overall mileage, not just EV miles. Maximizing EV miles does not necessarily mean maximizing total mileage. If you can get there and back on EV then life is good. If not, there is a lot that happens that impacts the mileage, and you need to run multiple, monitored trials to see which is best.

17. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    when I did my trips my mileage was gas fill up to gas fill up (about 350-420 miles per tank each day)

18. Dale Leonard

Dale Leonard Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have 4000 miles on my prime. I played a lot with charging mode. Conclusion, waste of gas mileage.
    Ev, hv modes switching to gain gas mileage. Conclusion, waste of time.
    B mode, if you are in drive and have to brake hard, it probably is better than hitting something.

Main conclusion, just get in, push start, put in drive and just drive it. Brake easy and let coast for the best gas mileage. Same as any other car.

Of course plug in as often as you can.

Riversong likes this.
  19. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    One man's "waste of time" is another man's fun or game. Please don't make blanket assumptions and opinions...unless you are going into politics.

Prius from Dad and john1701a like this.
  20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's nice having the fully-automatic setting, but not everyone wants a point & shoot camera.

There are times when special settings do yield better results.

markabele and alexcue like this.