1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's your EV/HV Pattern for longer trips?

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by stevepea, Jun 11, 2017.

1. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Using 'B' when in EV mode going downhill is merely for convenience (less need for shifting pedals), it will not capture more energy (EV miles) than using 'D'+brake for the same speed profile.
    Being on top of the hill in HV mode, you cannot immediately shift to EV mode anyway, 'D'+brake is best tactic until you can (or until the system shifts to EV mode automatically), and then - as convenient.

2. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    don't know where you get this from, i do this regularly in my Prime, assuming of course that the ICE is not in warm-up cycle. Beyond that, most of the time I do this, it switches to EV right away ...

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  3. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I am speaking of the usual situation in long trips, whereby the car switches to HV mode after all EV miles have been depleted already when you are on the top and start descending.
    If there are EV miles in the bank, like due to HV mode was manually switched to earlier, than of course you can switch back to EV mode any time.

From the manual (page 86):

â– After EV mode has switched to HV mode due to low hybrid battery (traction battery) charge If the hybrid battery (traction battery) is regenerated by driving continuously down a long slope, the EV driving range etc. will be displayed on the multiinformation display and EV mode will be automatically switched to. If EV mode is not switched to even though EV driving range is being displayed, EV mode can be switched to by pressing the EV/HV mode selection switch.

4. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In that scenario, agree ... me personally, I would (and have) avoid(ed) running EV miles to 0 (or -:) during a trip, only do that when close to charging ...

5. Dale Leonard

Dale Leonard Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When in HV mode, no EV miles left, going down hills, it well shift to EV automatically. After a while it we'll show EV miles left. I got up to 12 miles coming to Mesa from Hartland, Wi.