1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's Your Favorite MOD(s) and Why?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by -1-, Nov 2, 2013.

1. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)What's your favorite MOD or improvement to your Prius and why? List one or all, cost, difficulty.

For me - 1. Upgrade to the 17" Prius Persona wheels. Love the look.

2. The aftermarket JDM style LED mirror covers. Best MOD for the price. Around $150.

3. Mr Brake Lite, four flash third brake light MOD. Around $15

4. My Virginia personalized license plate - R3VOLTN. $10 per year.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1 - Highbeam DRL mod. Link in my signature. About $150.

2 - Projector foglights with custom cutoff shields fitted into OEM foglight shrouds. Link in signature.

SCH-I535

Jon Stapel and -1- like this.
  3. Steve Type-4

Steve Type-4 Trading HP for MPG

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My favorite would definitely tint and Toyota side window visors. Can't remember how much I paid for tint, but visors were $180 when I bought them.

Then JDM Toyota Elegant Style chrome accents - I paid about $280 for the lower front bumper, front grille and rear cargo chrome garnishes; and chrome mirror covers.

And finally, blacked out headlights - $5.00

-1- likes this.
  4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My favorite mod would be the SGII, learning how to create the XGauge parameters and monitoring the hybrid system data - $125

Second would be the Weathertech side window visors - $110. This allowed me to crack the windows open on hot days while parked in an open parking lot at work. Lowered the cabin temps by a good 10 to 15 degrees F.

Third would be the Engine Link app for iPad ($6.99) and the ELM327 OBDII WiFi device ($28) and being able to configure PID's in decimal rather than hex for SGII. Now I can create custom displays and monitor as many as 12 parameters on one page.

-1- likes this.
  5. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    has to be the TRD springs so far. performance and esthetics much improved. $350-450 installed and probably around $180-220 to DIY.

-1- likes this.
  6. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. upgrade to oem 17" wheels - personal "must have" for look and handling, also gray poweder coated mine
    2. JDM puddle+parking+signal combo side mirrors, 3 hours DIY and best, coolest $150 Prius mod

-1- likes this.
  7. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Show us a couple of pics of your wheels. I agree on the JDM style mirror mod.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  9. quickbike

quickbike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not a mod, but accessory - the trunk net. Perfect for groceries and what nots from banging around.

Gaƫtan Lafrance and -1- like this.
  10. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    priuswheel2.JPG priuswheel1.JPG

I used to hate dark-color wheels. Lately I've started to like them, but still can't seem to like black wheels. The Persona wheels are very nice, too. :)

saul1, -1- and 32kcolors like this.
  11. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Where do you get JDM style LED mirror covers?

12. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Very nice. Trend setter Prius. I have the 17" Persona wheels and like the color (black chrome) with my winter gray Prius.

:) Here's the LINK for MITAccessories in Taiwan, that most are ordering from. They are JDM "style" mirror covers with LED lights. They are NOT genuine JDM parts. Cost for the pair is $134.90, plus $20 economy shipping. They offer faster shipping for $10 more ($30 total). I went with the express ($30) shipping and had them in FIVE days (from Taiwan). I have over 1000 transactions on eBay, and this one was the best for item accuracy, communication, price, and super fast shipping. No affiliation other than a previous 100% satisfied customer. Excellent item and great mod for the cost. Need I say, "highly recommended".

sprtent likes this.
  13. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice that isnt too bad and they will paint them whatever color also.
    Thank you!

14. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the kind words, -1-. The Persona wheels matches nicely with your front/rear Plug-in trim pieces.

Also agreed on the Ebay seller, MITAccessories, as I got 2 sets from him, both have been problem-free so far. The shipping was quite fast from oversee, actually even faster than some domestic sellers. What I also like about this seller is that instead of an shipping update email like most sellers, he also sent a picture of the finished package with my address so I know what to look for when it arrieves.

-1- likes this.
  15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One caveat though. It's a $20 paint job so light colors like Blizzard Pearl can be a worse match compared to factory. A few members have had to get them re-painted by a body shop to correct the mismatch. However, it has held up extremely well to elements despite the mismatch and may not matter all that much as light colors on plastic can't be an exact match as on metal even out of factory (e.g., BP paint on bumpers).

16. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Two options, painted or unpainted. Most would agree, the color match is real close for most and the quality of the paint job is just as good. Twenty dollars was a small price to pay to avoid the hassle of having to find someone locally to paint the mirror covers. No guarantee of a perfect color match or error free painting regardless who did the work, and at what cost? I received my kit one evening after work and was able to install them the next day. Having to find someone to paint them would have delayed the installation a week or so. I was very pleased with the transaction and the kit, and it's the best mod based on cost and effort, EVER (for me).

32kcolors likes this.
  17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Totally agreed. A body shop would charge way more and one can decide after the fact whether it's worth the expense.

18. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I loved all my mods, but here is my TOP 10.......

#1, Opti-Coat 2.0 / $70 / water just beats off the car, makes cleaning a breeze.

#2, JDM Power Folding Mirrors w/ 3-in-1 LED's / $n/a / Loves the auto-folds when locks/unlocks.

#3, APR Electric Shifter w/Carbon Fiber Vinyl / $132 / With a push of a button and go!

#4, Front & Rear Parking Sensors w/LED Displays / $100 / Wife needs it, able to park in tight space in SF.

#5, Front & Rear dash-cam / $70 / Buying a peace-of-mind, too many crazy drivers now days.
    "No more He said, She said" or Hit-and-Run! Seen that many times.

#6, SuperTone Loud Horn / $50 / Can you hear me now!

#7, LED Arrows Side Mirrors / $15 / Cars next to me know I'm making a lane change or turning.

#8, Sound Ordnance compact powered subwoofer / $150 / Finally little bass to match rest of the music.

#9, AVS Windows Deflectors / $50 / Able prevent rain drops coming-in when needed little fresh air & hot air out during summer.

#10, Last is Nano-Ceramic Tint, All 11 windows is tinted / $150+$100 install / No more direct sun burning sensation on the arms & face.

-1- likes this.
  19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1 - signal mirrors - difficult - $160.
    2 - A/V upgrade - moderate - ~ 2,000

-1- likes this.
  20. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My favorite mod is how the Prius has made me a more focused and attentive driver. MPG's for the win!

milkman44 and -1- like this.