1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whats your MPG or L/100km for Vancouver city driving.

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by fotomickey, Jun 30, 2008.

1. fotomickey

fotomickey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All Prius

New Prius owner here.. just wondering whats everyone's Tyical Mpg or L/100km in City of Vancouver area. I commute daily South to North (Marine-Drive to Broadway) and vice-verse return home...with lots of Accenting & Decenting.... overall around 5L/100km...not meeting EPA yet.

On flatter area I can sometime can do average 3.5L/100km cut across 41st with P&G...but not as good on other landscape. Any advise ?

Thanks in advance :D

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take 4th Ave then Cornwall and then Burrard back to Broadway. It'll flatten out your hills plus 4th Ave allows for P&G if the traffic allows (it's better going eastbound since it slightly slants that way).

Do a run from NW Marine Dr to Granville St. via UBC/SW Marine. That'll net you 3.5L/100km for the entire trip or even lower!

3. fotomickey

fotomickey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Tideland for your quick respond...sorry didn't clarify my route.
    Actually I travel east toward Boundary (office) and return to Marpole area (home)

but sure will memories your route when traveling that way :)

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohhh jeez lol.. you said Broadway lol hahaha.

Ok.. Marine to Boundary is just as efficient going eastbound. Westbound is a bit harder. Given the traffic and the lights, you'll be able to glide from 70th/Marine (The Husky station) to the Main St. traffic light (Superstore). I've done that twice with a bit of EVing to just keep the speed up when people starting approaching me and before they overtook me. Then up and over the hill and glide to Fraser. Up that hill and glide to Victoria (this one's harder since the lights usually get you and there's more traffic here).

5. fotomickey

fotomickey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks again Tideland for the great tips... every-drop counts.

Gas price just went over to $1.52/L tonite (I guess after Carbon Tax)
    What a way to celebrate our Canada day.

6. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Steveston to Hastings/Cassiar commute. 4.9L/100km on average.
    Steveston hwy, to hwy 99, North to Knight St bridge, Marnie Dr, Boundary to Hastings.
    higher costs getting there, better coming home.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh... I'm not looking forward to filling up when I get back home. Here in ON, it's $1.34/litre.

Lloyd9, Hwy 99 is pretty fuel efficient too thanks to the 80-90km/h speed limit. Boundary is unique. It seems to be better going northbound (Marine to Hastings) if you total up all the ups and downs.

8. JRMurray

JRMurray Magnetic Gray is the only way!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    According to the spreadsheet I've kept since buying my 2008 Prius in April, the computed average is 5.07l/100km over ~6800 km, while the MFD average is 4.9

I live near Cloverdale and work in Surrey, and as a result, I have to get onto Highway 10 on a daily basis; much of my driving, therefore, is of the suburban variety (higher speeds, less stop-and-go traffic, but still encountering stop signals).

I've been pretty conscientious about my gas consumption, so I try to drive conservatively (P&G, and so on), but there are times when traffic and driving conditions limit what I can accomplish. For example, I live very near Highway 10, so my car is still cold when I get onto the highway and then have to accelerate to 80 km/h (the limit) on an uphill stretch. Sigh. :frown:

In any case, even at 5.1l/100km, I'm ecstatic!!! My previous vehicle was a Mercedes C230 that took premium fuel and got 11l/100km. According to the spreadsheet I use to keep track of my auto expenses, I've already saved $600 since April on fuel alone.

BTW, I was at Birch Bay for a few days and waited until I had two pips left before I filled up. Gas was US $4.499 per US gal, or about US $1.20 or so per litre. Total cost of filling up? US $38. Not paying the carbon tax? Priceless.

9. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just filled up @ $1.46/l. Not a great tank this time as I am riding my motorcycle to work and my wife is driving the Prius. Her commute is about 7 minutes to downtown Richmond so no chance to warm-up or get up to crusing speeds. MPG 43.5Mpg or 5.4L/100km
    Still it is better than the 4cyl Accord @8 L/100Km around town.
    The bike gets about 6L/100Km, not great milage, but lots of fun and shorter commute times. Hate to say it, but I am looking forward to the poor weather when I can't ride the bike.

10. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    me 4.2L/100 km current with 410 on the km and 5 pips on the gas gauge

best camry hybrid owner i've seen is 5.9L/100 km

best highlander hybrid i've seen was 9.2L/100 km

best prius i've seen for a customer is 4.7L/100km

but im simply the best around here.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder what the TCH cabs are getting...

Can you beat my 3.9L/100km tank? =P

12. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My recent tanks were 54-56mpg (Vancouver/Burnaby/PoCo). I recon best MPG if you live in Richmond...

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha I suppose. My tank was along the SFU to Lougheed Hwy to False Creek to UBC then SW Marine Dr.

At least your lifetime average is waaaaay ahead of mine. I don't think mine will change from 4.9L/100km.

14. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    aha about time i got some competition, driving from surrey and then to bcit i had to 724 km before the fuel light came on, and only managed 36 something liters. I never got 4 digit before, I'm too nice I speed up when someone is on my tail.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol... I've had one 3.9L/100km tank and three 4.0L/100km tanks and they were all last summer on the Integritys. Longest distance was 902km on a 4.2L/100km tank (If I remembered correctly. Might've been 4.1?).

Most I've ever pumped was 39 or 40 litres and only in the summer time. Usually it's closer to 36-37 litres.

16. canadiantoyotaguy

canadiantoyotaguy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hello Jon!
    Finally I'm on the forum
    Shawn

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Shawn!

I'm guessing the other username didn't work? Oh well! Welcome aboard!

18. freshspeedo

freshspeedo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i just bought a 2007 Prius

I got around 800km and display showed 4.2L/100km and I pumped in 33litres

Since you guys are in the Lower Mainland did you block your grills with pipe insulation as well???

Also I've just ordered from a friend in the us the coastal ev switch. hope it works well.

Exactly what is a pulse and glide. What should I see on the screen?

I've basically getting green arrows to charge the battery and no engine running.
    Sometimes I'm running on battery only. And sometimes gas/battery which I can't help.

Does having a hood deflector affect gas mileage?

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice!! Keep it up! (although it'll be hard now that the temperatures are falling)

- I block mine

- it works well on mine

- Green arrows is regenerative braking, yellow arrows (battery only) is EV mode. You want no arrows and engine off... so in between the two modes you've mentioned. Balance the accelerator pedal.

- no idea.

20. freshspeedo

freshspeedo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've tried doing the pulse and glide thing.
    I sometimes go up to 60km/h and let off the pedal for asecond and then feather it again.
    Then I get no arrows.
    I just roll for a little while. But between lights hills and traffic it's kind of tough doing these pulse and glides.

When is the best speed to do the pulse and glide thing?

I'm usually driving around Burnaby or Surrey so alot of hills to.

I guess when going downhill better to have green arrows so you are charging the battery correct?

When I try to doing a pulse and glide at around 85km it won't?
    The battery discharging arrows come into play. The display always have some arrows at these speeds.

Today was kind of weird. It was raining alot today. When i would hit red lights and start to apply the braking in the last 2km/h it would lock up or something.
    Because my head would jolt a little and the slip light flickered a bit.

You guys ever experience this?
    It happened to me today around 4 or 5 times.

Never really noticed this before. Only thing is I blocked both grills with pipe insulation
    yesterday. Not sure if that affected it or not?
    Should I get this checked up?