1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what's your package and why?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by palau, Feb 28, 2006.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

[bigdaddy stops chewing gum and looks at Betelgeuse] But my car would go to 11.

2. sb_in_nc

sb_in_nc New Member

#1 (with MFD off all the time)

Anything more would be wasting gas.

3. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

I agree, if I could've swung the cost, I would've gone with 4, for the VSC and the side airbags. Otherwise, I could do without the other bells & whistles (though the SmartKey would've been FUN!)

Basic Prius here.. still a technological feat this car.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Whaaa whaaa,
    I got everthing excluding leather, navi & jbl. on my 04 #5 possibly a #7?, driftwood pearl (Note: It had the leather, JBL & Navi, I told the dealer I didnt want it so they omitted it in Jacksonville at the port). I cant believe you cant add options you can have them removed..

I wish I'd have gotten the leather now, dam ivory cloth is very hard to keep clean! (my waa waa) the HID head lights kick A**. They're like a pure white, the wife calls them flouresent. I had to reajust the fog lights (up a little) and now they work great.

I think if you dont like something about the car have it omitted, ie foglights ect, pull them out and put the standard grill or cover in it place..

My Next Hybrid will definately be a toyota Im waiting to see how the camry does
    so I guess it will be a toss up between Prius & Camry...

Next looking for those clear plastic bodybag seat covers like they used to put in the 60's cars..... :lol:

Lastly I wish the dealers carried a ground effects kit for the prius like the 2nd picture because it would attract the younger crowd too....

[attachmentid=2389]

body kit
    [attachmentid=2396]

5. gordonr

gordonr Member

We wanted package 4, but officially it wasn't being offered in this region. The big thing you get is VSC plus all the rest of the safety stuff. It turns out to be an advantage that the '06 package 4 dropped HID headlights. Nothing wrong with them, but they aren't that big a deal (we have an "05 with them) and just makes your car a greater target for headlight theft and expensive bulb replacement costs down the line. As someone else said, the fog lights are worthless as well.

Package 5 is also OK if you assign enough value to it's incremental components and associated cost vs. package 4. It really comes down to what you want and budget.

Our crafty sales guy didn't give up on finding us a package 4 and eventually found one which we are expecting any day now.

6. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I bought my 2005, I went for the top of the line package #6. Why? Because I wanted all the toys, errr, features I could get. :)

Actually, the real reason is since this was a car that I intend to keep for 8 or 9 years, I wanted to be totally satisified with my purchase. Which meant going for every bell and whistle they offered. Yes, I could've stepped down to a package #4 or #5, but it would've meant giving up something I knew I wanted for sure. For example, I knew I wanted a 6-disc CD changer and the antitheft system and the other stuff offered in package #5, but I also definitely wanted Vehicle Stability Control and the Smart Entry/Smart Start that came in #4. So, for only 3 grand more, I could upgrade to a package #6, get all the safety and comfort features I wanted, plus get a GPS Navigation and a Bluetooth Handsfree Speakerphone setup. And I have absolutely no regrets over doing so.

While I could easily use a standalone GPS unit (and we do use one in our 2004 Sienna XLE Limited), the integrated nature of the GPS Navigation system in the car makes it much easier to use. And I tend to use mine a lot, even in areas in which I'm quite familiar with. It's helpful to be able to lookup if there's a nearby florist while on the way home, or where a particular resturant is for lunch, or directions to get to someone's house you've never been to. Yes, all of that could easily be done with a phone book and a map and writing down the directions, but it can be so much easier with the Navigation system, and you don't have to worry about accidentally leaving the directions behind.

The Bluetooth handsfree system is very usefull to me. I no longer miss calls because I have the stereo turned up too loud, I'm not fumbling for the phone to answer it, and in general it's makes me less of a hazard on the road if I need to use my phone.

If I were purchasing a 2006 model instead of the 2005 I have, I would probably make a similar decision, but instead of going for a top of the line package #8, I would step down to a package #7 if possible, simply because I don't necessarily need leather seats in my car. While our Sienna does have leather seats, we didn't necessarily want them. But because we wanted certain features on our Sienna and didn't want to wait the 2 months or so that it might take to get the specific model/features/color we wanted, we compromised and ended up getting the closest thing that the dealer had on the lot. Which meant we got a bit (paid) more than we intended. On the other hand, we're pretty happy with the extra stuff we did get, so it all turned out good.

Good luck with your purchase!

7. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey Emma - Nice Boxer!

Package 8 for me; I just love gadgets.

8. Emma

Emma New Member

.....Sorry for the off-topic reply that is to follow.....

Believe it or not, she's not a Boxer!
    I had a Boxer growing up and loved him....yours is adorable!

Mine is actually half pug/half shar pei. She's a rescue.

Many people have commented on how the picture I use for my avatar makes her look like a Boxer.

....I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread......

9. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my car with pkg. 1 off the lot. There were three other cars with higher packages available that day. I did not want to pay all that xtra money for airbags, a larger stereo, and navigation. I'm also not rich so $$ were important. I'm happy with pkg. 1. Later I'm getting an alarm installed. I don't need anything else.

10. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We went for the 2005 pkg 6 (i.e., loaded). I wanted all the safety features, especially VSC. Once we saw the rest of the goodies, we thought we'd like and use nav, keyless, etc.

We were right. The only way we'd give up our Prius is if we got a newer one.

11. the fish

the fish Member

Funny, I also go interested in the Prius through Curb.

I went with Package 5 for the upgraded sound, 6-disc changer, and bluetooth. If those would not have mattered I would have gotten a package 3.

I have no use for NAV and I can always add leather afterwards (port leather in SE doens't even even the steering wheel, doors and center console). I would have considered a #6 - not worth the extra $ to me but would happily take it if #5 was not available in SE.

12. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

I presume your asking about 2006 packages? 05's are different.

13. the fish

the fish Member

Sorry, I meant a 2006 #5. Funny though, when I was considering a 2005 in September it would have been a Silver #5.

14. robinsod

robinsod New Member

I concur with jonabbey. Pkg 7 offered what I wanted plus a bit more. However, I wanted the full set of safety features (front and back side curtain air bags, VSC, etc.) and the NAV pkg. I didn't want leather. (I also have an '04 Prius and found the seat fabric easy to clean and resistant to wear.) I have found that voice recognition works well with the nav pkg and have found no need for the lockout.

15. justinc

justinc New Member

Went with a Package #6 because I wanted the HID's and foglights. Could have gone without the JBL system though. Had good experience with HID's in my previous car so that was the main reason for #6. The NAV seemed nice in the #7, but I bought a portable one instead for 1/4 of the cost and shuffle it around between the other cars.

16. palau

palau New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    yes, i was referring to the 2006 model. sorry, i didn't realize the packages vary from year to year, and from region to region, go figure.

anyway, thanks to y'all, i think i've decided to go with package 6, (5 isn't available in Socal) .

will keep you posted.

--christine