1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Alignment and Cams

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Marc Morrow, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Marc Morrow

Marc Morrow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The Auto Body shop told me that all of the rear end collision repairs had been done properly on my 2008 Prius by the Toyota dealership except that I needed a wheel alignment. I was not surprised because I had bumped into a curb at the supermarket previously at a bad angle.I was not concerned as my car drove properly without pulling left of right.
    A couple of weeks later I took my car to Discount tire for a tire rotation and requested a referral for the alignment due to excessive wear on the right front tire. They suggested Brakes Plus.

Brakes Plus said that my Prius’ alignment was off on both the front and the back. While there is no adjustments available for EITHER ONE, The rear tires were minor (straight and parallel but not tracking directly behind the front) and not adjustable. They said that they could correct the front by replacing the non-adjustable Cam’s on the front with adjustable Cams. I had never heard of such a thing but I drive for a living, I needed a tire, I needed an alignment and this was my first day off in weeks I paid for Parts and labor $140.

I wish I had found your Forum earlier because I think I have just been taken for $140.

2. Marc Morrow

Marc Morrow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My question is: Did Brakes Plus tell the truth about the Prius having no factory installed front end alignment adjustments. Marc

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe @bwilson4web did some alignment on his Gen 2 years ago.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    yes, the front end can and should be aligned. the rear cannot according to toyota, but a good alignment shop can use shims to get it right, (what prodigy place is referring to above) which dealers will not do, because of toyota.

can you get the alignment printout from brakes plus?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The front toe-in and camber can be adjusted. There are no adjustments available for the rear axle (unless aftermarket shims are utilized.)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. tnt01prius

tnt01prius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just replaced yet another set of 75,000 mile tires worn down at 30K on my 2005 Prius. The car drives straight, doesn't wander. I got an alignment check at a Firestone shop. The shop manager told me the front was good, but the rear would need shims to correct and then a four wheel alignment to set everything straight. The estimate:
    Parts 21.35
    Labor 193.49 (includes alignment)
    Shop supplies 13.54
    tax 2.20
    $ 230.58 TL

He didn't offer a computer generated schematic, but indicated on the estimate "Left shim 23 over 6, Right shim 8 over 33."

I've read up about using aftermarket shims on the rear hubs, but didn't see anything about noticeable effects after installation. I'm curious if installing shims, making the above corrective measures, might help with premature tire wear?

An alignment 63K miles previous indicated the rear was all within specs. Only the right front indicated camber over at -1.4 degrees.
    Is the rear suspension design susceptible to being thrown out of alignment by impact over time and can be corrected without replacement?

Has anybody experienced a noticeable difference after installing rear shims?

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know @bwilson4web has installed shims on several cars.