1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wheel alignment issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ramarren, Sep 15, 2006.

1. ramarren

ramarren New Member

I did a couple of searches but couldn't find anything specifically answering these points.

I had the Goodyear Comfortreds installed on my car today. They are much quieter and grip much better than the Integrities. However, I feel the car still wanders too much at highway speeds, with twitchy steering on center when cruising and over-correction on small steering inputs.

I had an alignment check done which netted the following values on the report:

Front _____ L ______ R
    Camber __ -0.3° ___ -1.0°
    Caster ___ 3.5° ___ 3.3°
    Toe _____ 0.10° __ -0.07°

Rear ______ L _____ R
    Camber _ -1.0° ___ -1.7°
    Toe _____ 0.07° __ 0.37°

Boldface indicates values that are out of the green.

Considering the handling issues I'm experiencing, I think the front wheel toe-in is the primary culprit, although I'd like to see the camber more symmetrical side to side too, if possible. I seem to recall someone posted that a toe-in of -0.05° per side, for a total toe-in of -0.10°, works best. If anyone can confirm this for me, I'd much appreciate it ... I'll have them re-do the alignment as I am definitely NOT satisfied with the current state of the car's handling.

What I'm curious about is what to do about the rear toe-in which is out of range on the right, as well as the camber being off. The shop at the tire dealership said that it is non-adjustable. I seem to recall someone here saying that that there is a shim kit or something to correct this kind of issue ... ??

Thanks for your help.
    Godfrey

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, definately have them adjust it. A very slight toe in is preferable, and an improper toe alignment will give you handling issues. You're right, people have posted that your can use some sort of shim to adjust the toe for the rear wheels, although i wasn't paying that much attention...

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 15 2006, 06:37 AM) [snapback]320025[/snapback]</div>

And if you still are not happy, get the BT Plate, that will secure up your road position on funky uneven surfaces too. It keeps the back from wagging its tail.

4. ramarren

ramarren New Member

Thanks for the comments. I already have the BT brace installed and it did improve overall handling feel and steering precision, but it's not solved this issue.

I test drove another PC member's car with both the BT brace and these tires: his car worked like I want mine to.

Godfrey

5. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

6. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Sep 15 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]320208[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Joe!

Went back to WW today and had the front end realigned. There was enough adjustment range to even out the camber side to side pretty much, and then the toe was set properly. Test driving it there was an immediately noticeable improvement in stability and handling, but the wheel was slightly off center.

Brought it back in and they reset the wheel to centered, readjusted the toe in once more. I also dropped tire pressures from 40/38psi to 38/36psi as the feel at 40psi in the front tires made them seem twitchier than I like. Test drive ... Satori! Now it feels right. :)

The Comfortreds work well. They're incredibly quiet at highway cruise speeds, and now the feel matches the grip. Thanks again for letting me test drive yours.

On today's two measurements, that rear toe-in on the right wheel measures out of spec by only .01° so I might just leave it alone, or I'll have Toyota Service do something about it on warranty when I do the 5000 miles service.

Godfrey