1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Alignment Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rest, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just replaced my 2007's OEM tires at Costco and they suggested I get a wheel alignment because my front tires were much more worn than the rears.

I called my local "Stealership", they said it would cost $89.95 and that they would have to do a 4-wheel alignment otherwise they have nothing to go against. This seems odd to me. Maybe I don't understand the procedure but, why not just adjust the wheels to the specs from Toyota?

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just for grins, ask the stealer how he adjusts the rear alignment.:D

As far as your costco advice goes, front wheel drive cars wear the front tires out faster than the rear tires. They usually caddy 60% to 66% of the weight of the car, are the drive wheels and take the brunt of cornering abuse because the cars are designed to understeer. If the front tires were wearing unevenly, then the Costco guy had a point.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you haven't been rotating the tires then it is quite normal for the front tires to wear more quickly than the rear. However if the front tire wear is greater on one side of a given tire vs the other side of that same tire, then maybe alignment will help.

Regarding a 4-wheel alignment at the Toyota dealer, all this means is that they'll measure the rear wheel alignment and take that into account when adjusting the front wheel alignment. However they won't do anything about the rear alignment if it is out of spec, since the Toyota repair philosophy is that rear suspension parts must be replaced if the alignment is off.

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Makes no sense to me calling it a 4-wheel alignment, if they can't adjust the rears. They certainly have no problem charging me for a 4-wheel alignment. Freaking "Stealerships"!

Not sure what I'm going to do at this point, probably end up paying their price because I'd like my new (and expensive) tires to last longer. My original OEM tires didn't last 11k miles with around town driving. I knew the front tires would wear faster than the rears, and more so because it's a front wheel drive vehicle. And because I didn't rotate the tires often, that contributed. Both of the front tires though had more wear on their outer sides.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This implies that your car's front wheels might benefit from an increased value of negative camber on both sides, which would position the tops of the front tires inward, compared to the bottom of the tires.

Perhaps you might find a specialty alignment shop in your area that is prepared to adjust the rear alignment with shims. Then you'll be able to obtain a true four wheel alignment (if rear axle adjustment is needed.)

6. Wolfie52

Wolfie52 Senior "Jr" Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    BTW, I have two Toyota's, one Prius and one Corolla. I went to Firestone for an oil change on the Prius and they wanted to sell me an alignment,new tires, shocks,air filters, etc. I took it some place else and they did the alignment for $70.

I decided to take the Corolla to the dealership for an alignment and they charged me @gasp@ $70. They called it a 4 wheel alignment but they only adjusted the front wheels. They didn't try to sell me all the other stuff.

Got to remember these places are all in business to make money. I have had bad luck with Firestone but never have had the dealership try to sell me things I probably didn't need.

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I got a coupon from the dealer: $40 for 4-wheel alignment. Not sure whether to use it or not. I wonder if their equipment is not well calibrated then would they make the alignment worse?

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I stopped by a smaller brake and alignment shop. They want $99 for the 4 wheel alignment. The friggin "Stealership" was less expensive for crying out loud! If I got a $40 alignment coupon from my local "Stealership", I'd take my chances it with them and use it.

9. Hasan

Hasan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You guys should consider yourselves lucky! ;)

Across the pond here in the UK, several of my local (London) dealers quoted between £120 to £130 for their wheel alignment, which given the current conversion rate, equals to between $195 to $211 USD.

10. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    No it's just you guys have a higher standard of living than us. You are the lucky guy. :)

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do your dealers, unlike American dealers, actually do a 4 wheel alignment when you pay for one? If they do, then $200 is a good price, the rear is a pain to do.

American dealers will typically set front toe in and say the rest of it isn't adjustable if pressed for information. The honest ones will set front toe and front camber but no rear changes like the Toyota shop manual says.

12. Hasan

Hasan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

To be honest I seriously don't know.

I'm getting my 4 wheel alignment done on saturday for £40 at an independent shop, however, their 2 wheel alignment is £30 so I'm not sure whether it is the actual four wheel alignment or just a 2 wheel alignment taking into account the rear alignment.:(

13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Parts cost for rear alignment shims for the rear cost about US$30 if you do both sides. Based on what I have seen on US vs UK prices they would probably cost you £30 plus 30 minutes more labo(u)r than an alignment check. So I can just about guarantee that for £40 that they aren't doing anything to your rear end except measuring it and maybe sticking something up it:D. That said, the price is fair if they give you a good report of the results. At least you will know if you should get the rear aligned or not,

14. Hasan

Hasan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

LOOOL :D:D

I'll ask them what the difference between the two types are and if they don't give me the answer I'm looking for then I might just get the £30 two wheel done.

15. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just returned from getting an alignment done. I used an alignment shop, instead of a "Stealership" for this procedure. The shop used a Hunter Alignment machine and also knew to reset the steering angle sensor. I was not their first Prius customer.

The front was out of alignment and adjusted without using shims, which would have cost me extra. The rear was also slightly out of alignment on the right. To fix the rear would have cost me $500, which is mostly labor. There was no pressure for me to get this done, so obviously I declined doing anything to the rear. They also said Toyota would have suggested replacing the rear axle at a huge expense, which doesn't guarantee a perfect rear alignment either. So apparently the Prius rear is designed in such a way that it creates a major expense for owners.

They said even though Michelin tires are good, I would be lucky to get 30K miles out of the Energy Saver's on my Prius. I mentioned that Costco gave the tires a 65k mile warranty, they couldn't see how because according to them LRR tires just don't have the life other tires have. This proved to be true in another vehicle I owned with LRR tires.

This shop suggested doing the first rotation at around 2k miles and to rotate them side to side, then after another 2k miles rotate them front to back. This rotation makes more sense to me.

They also checked my air pressures, which apparently is something they must do by state law now. Normally it's a $15 charge (can you believe that?), but they said they never charge the fee. Prior to that I had told them I wanted to keep the 42psi in the front and 40psi in the rears. They found one of the fronts to be low. So apparently Costco didn't fill the tire correctly as I had instructed them 2 days ago, even though they stated they had in the paperwork. The alignment shop had nitrogen and took care of the issue.

Scott McGregor likes this.
  16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The front toe in is adjusted by the adjustable link ends on the car.. The front camber is adjusted by replacing some front mounting bolts. AFAIK, there is no place that shims are used to align the front.

The rear shims used to adjust rear toe and camber aren't special Prius shims. There are standard tapered shim that fits several different cars and cost about $15/wheel. It shouldn't take a shop more than 1/2 hour per wheel to install them, maybe one hour to screw up once, repeat and recheck alignment. $500 sounds high but at least they knew it could be done.

17. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Really? I thought I read something on the forums saying they were hard to find shims. But the shop didn't imply they were hard to get and only cost around $20 each. I think the $500 charge they stated was the high end limit. My right rear toe was 0.37 degrees and the range is 0.03 - 0.28. I hadn't noticed any previous unusual rear tire wear, although I rarely rotated the tires. Although the OEM front tires didn't last 11k miles. I probably could have gotten another 3-5k miles out of the rears.

I'm beginning wondering if it isn't more cost effective to go through tires a tad sooner than have to pay for alignments and higher costs for rear adjustments.

18. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I think people only seriously consider complete alignment when the car wonders on the highway. That's why I suspect I won't need it yet since the car goes straight.

19. hamil33

hamil33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

:confused:My one week old Prius Four went for his first ride on the Florida Turnpike today. He handled the speed just fine but required much more "course correction" than I am use to doing. Has anyone had alignment problems with cars "just off the boat"?

20. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have read about other Prius having this very issue. But then again, I've also heard it's not just isolated to the Prius and happens with all manufactures vehicles. Must be those great Union workers. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think maybe the design on certain vehicles needs to be changed. I didn't know when I purchased my Prius that Toyota only suggests that the axle be replaced if it was out of alignment. And while some shops can align the rear, seems like it should be designed to be an easier (and less expensive), process. Most consumers don't know when you pay for an alignment that it's extra if the vehicle needs shims, to complete the friggin alignment.

All this makes me wonder why I even bought a Prius in the first place. I could have purchased a less expensive vehicle. What's the point if my Prius ends up costing me more money down the road, than a normal car would?

Sorry for the rant, I'm just very frustrated right now.