1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel bearing bad...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by llg, Nov 1, 2015.

1. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's a link to my adventures regarding the bearing replacement. It also has some prices in it that could help decide your course of action.

The damage to mine was something I don't expect to see on a bearing that is just worn and is developing some play, so I saw no need to replace them both.

The value of a Euro isn't that different from a $, but I mostly assume people from the US know that. Can I assume that?

2. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I wouldn't assume we Yanks know much of anything, if I were you. ;)

R-P likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not much better here: figure a Euro's roughly the same as the Pound?

No more guilders eh? :)

4. llg

llg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update… I took it to a Toyota Dealership for diagnosis. It is the right front bearing. Also front pads are worn and need a new drive belt.

5. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If you are a DIYer at all, that stuff should be relatively easy. I just changed the drive belt in my 2007 yesterday ($15 part, the dealership will charge you over $100 to replace, and it's about 10-15 minutes of labor). The hardest part is working the new belt on in that cramped space, but it just takes a little patience and a few choice words. :)

Also, another fyi about the drive belt. It's too cramped in there to get most tension measuring devices anywhere near the belt. You're going to have to do some guess work, most likely. I have a pencil gauge and practiced getting 22lbf on the gauge, then tried to apply the same force on the belt (in the middle of the longest span) with my finger while looking for 0.4" deflection.

llg likes this.