1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Bearing brand recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tge101, Apr 14, 2016.

1. tge101

tge101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm about 99% sure my front passenger bearing is going. I asked my dealer about getting it replaced and they quoted me $900+.... So since there's no chance I'd ever pay that, can someone recommend a good aftermarket or should I go with an OEM? I checked some out on Amazon and the reviews are either mixed or not there at all. Also, is it worth doing both at the same time or to just wait for the other one?

A0001 ?

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  3. tge101

tge101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
  4. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's usually better to replace both at the same time. While your driver side may last for many more miles, you don't know when it will fail. Getting both done is sorta piece of mind, in my opinion.

If you do it yourself, check out the many threads on the subject and check out the Youtube videos. They most certainly will help, it's not necessarily a hard job, but a tedious one. Just take your time, have the right tools, use wd40 where needed, torque where it's applicable, and don't over tighten speed sensor bolt. Good luck. :)

While you're at it, if you need to replace your front struts, do it also during the bearing replacement. You've already done half the work for strut replacement.