1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel bearing needs replacing - how to avoid?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mikepaul, Sep 30, 2007.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you hearing from the front or rear? The rear bearings are original right?

3. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Postulating a hypothesis is easy but the hard part is to follow-up with facts and data. What we need need is a volunteer who will take the failed bearings, disassemble them and look for wear patterns that might reveal their individual failure mechanism(s) and with a collection, common patterns.

Personal practices could be a factor. More than just water,
    my personal hypothesis is car wash soap may be a factor, I have no data, just reasoning soap is made to dissolve grease.
    I have watched others, usually teen males spend there time washing their cars clean enough to eat off them .
    I try to avoid (within reason of course) spraying the inner wheel hub area with soapy water and have only replaced one wheel bearing in 20+ years of driving which has has been many, including dusty roads , with high mileage vehicles.

4. gggGary

gggGary gggGary

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Maybe soneone else can answer but the G2 Prius uses angular ball bearings in the front hub (reduce friction) and switched the carrier to aluminum (save weight). If I designed it, it would have tapered rollers. Do other FWD cars use tapered rollers? The older rear wheel drive cars always used them in front. I wouldn't be surprised if G3 went back to tapered rollers. If Toyota's field reporting and repair parts frequency analysis system works they did.

5. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I see an opportunity for a great mod here - replacement ceramic bearings. They're all the rage in high end road racing bicycles because of their reduced friction but they also have a much higher level of durability. They're expensive of course, but I'm actually a little surprised Toyota didn't use them stock. Given the volumes I doubt it would have made much difference in the price of a car.

- D

6. EdwardF

EdwardF New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 Prius 105,000 miles. Was noticing noise driving especially on highway. Seemed also to be a friction sound about once per wheel rotation. Also noticed poor mileage under 30 MPG. Had both front wheel bearings replaced for $700. Mileage now over 50 MPG, much quieter ride. Mechanic said he had to replace rear wheel bearings on his 2010 Prius. Seems to be a common issue. Loving the improved mileage and lighter touch needed on the accelerator!

SFO likes this.