1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel bearing noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tomek310, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys. I just wanted to get an advice. It seems that the noise in the driver side wheel area is due to the bad wheel hub and I read this is common with our cars. What is the easiest way to replace it? I don't have a press but heard you can buy a kit that doesn't require it. The passenger side is fine, no noise, but I heard you should replace them both at the same time. What are your takes?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Prius front wheel bearing is theoretically easy to replace. But depending on how corroded in place the bearing is (how much salt they put on your roads etc.) old bearing can be almost impossible to remove even with a press. New wheel bearing doesn’t need press to install so they can say that you don’t need a press, but how can you remove the old one?

Only reason to do both bearing at once is that if you do alignment afterwards you don’t need to do it twice.

3. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I went through this wheel bearings replacements for the same one 4 times .done by two mechanics and Toyota dealer. After all that dealer sent the knuckle to the label to check it for being bent . And it was little bid bent. I looked for replacement knuckle with wheel bearing and speed sensor on ebay 56$ very good deal. Now no more problems for over a year. Just make sure you get right one front back right or left

4. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    One more thing I meant knuckle with wheel hub assembly which most mechanics will do not (the bearing inside the hub assembly which is more work) and speed sensor.

5. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What brand did you put in? I just bought genuine Toyota wheel hub with bearing.

6. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    All the ones I bought were Timken very good brand used it in Infiniti g35 2004 never failed. Then when I took it to dealer it was Toyota part and they were failing withing 3 weeks as well the whole reason was bent knuckle that was hard to see with the naked eye they had to send to the lab to find out.

8. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see. I just bought Toyota so we will see how long it will hold up. Do you think I'll need a press or any other special tools if I decided to do it myself?

9. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The week hub will have the bearing in it, u might need something to separate something put from the hub assembly. Another thing make sure u peep the knuckle because if you let it drop it will pull the speed sensor plug and it like break it like what my mechanic did.make sure to unplug the 12 battery put your smart key far away from the car becuase it will energize the break. Just make sure you get the torque right they say if you torque the big nut more or less than the spec it will damage the wheel bearing fast . I can't remember the specs I think it was around 145lb.ft but please check. It does take like 45 mins for mechanic. And make sure to not forget the back circle steel thing.

Tomek310 likes this.
  10. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The wheel hub my bad. Make sure you got the right socket size for the big nut with special shape

11. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    There is piece of metal need bending out before you take big nut out and bending back after putting back the big nut

12. nyjedi

nyjedi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just replaced my wheel bearing in my 2015 Prius. Now the cruise control won't work and the traction control and abs lights are on. What am I missing?

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you disconnect the 12V battery before you started working on the wheel bearing? If you did not, a skid control ECU diagnostic trouble code may have been logged due to vibration, removing and reinstalling the disc caliper, etc.

Clear the DTC using a jumper on pins 4 and 13 of the OBD-II connector (many posts about how to do that, make sure you have identified the right pins before you do this) or use your OBD-II code reader to clear the DTC. Then see if the problem comes back.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may also want to make sure the wheel speed sensor is installed correctly and reading as it should.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. nyjedi

nyjedi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thank you. I am thinking you are right. It's weird, the cruise control won't work, traction control lights up and the abs lights up. Then randomly goes away and no issues.

It must be an issue with the sensor and not being attached correctly.

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe start your own thread in a Gen 3 forum, rather than tag onto an old thread in a Gen 2 forum. While they may appear to be similar, there are many differences too, and the guys over there will be better placed to give good advice on your Gen 3 problem.