1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel bearing replacement cost

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Abbe, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Abbe

Abbe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Had a mechanic tell me my wheel bearings needed replacing on my 2007 Touring. They quoted me $1200 to replace the front bearings. They didn’t mention the rear bearings. I’m curious what other people have had to pay to get theirs replaced? I don’t know much about these kinds of repairs and I don’t want to get scammed. Thanks in advance.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Shop around at other repair shops for estimates. Though any repair shop can do this job, you might consider hybrid specific shop as well.

1200 is a bit excessive to say the least, did they mention if they were using OEM parts sourced from a toyota dealership?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My previous posting about the required parts and labor time might help you evaluate whether the proposed price is reasonable.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not familiar with your area of the country, how is it for rust? Corrosion can be a big factor in pricing a chassis repair like wheel bearing replacement. I live in the lower rust belt and sometimes the labor can double if that's what it takes to remove a stubborn bearing assembly. Damaged hardware (or some cars have a separate wheel speed sensor that can't be removed without breaking because it's rusted in place) can add up.

If you don't have rust problems in your climate then I have no idea why the job was quoted at that price.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#4 mr_guy_mann, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Elektroingenieur likes this.