1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel bearing replacement resulted in ABS/VSC/(!) lights + rumbling while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NuggetShark, Mar 7, 2023.

1. NuggetShark

NuggetShark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I visited a mechanic to get them to replace my wheel bearing due to the fact that it was making a humming noise the louder it got the faster I would go. This was a brutal job I could not do myself so I took it to the shop. During the repair, mechanic says that a wheel sensor was screwed up so they had to replace that as well and redo the wiring. Now, I got the car picked up from the shop, but as soon as I drove off, the ABS/VSC/(exclamation point) lights come on. I also hear this what I'd describe as mild train-chugging rotary noise coming from the front tires.

Are there any common pitfalls when it comes to this kind of repair that I should know? I've been reading prior posts on here regarding this however I cannot find out exactly how to solve this problem. I do not want to pay a mechanic again because I'm under the impression that this could have been done on purpose to get me to pay more.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well I don't know about done on purpose to get you to pay more usually a lot of us aren't really into that but there are apparently some bearing problems now on the market apparently is hard to find good quality bearings even if you're buying the right brand name and all that there's a new thread on here about some problems with the Toyo or the koyo or whatever brand it is that they're discussing about the fakes used to be if you bought a generally good manufacturer you wouldn't have too much of a problem apparently today that may not be the case. Was the wire screwed up before you took the car there did you have these lights on before you had the wheel bearing replaced I'm guessing probably not so maybe the guys when they were taking the hub off they got a little overzealous and forgot to pull the sensor out of the hub or something I usually remove the hubs and replace the bearing the lower ball joint and things like that at the same time if I have struts I put the struts on then what happens out in the wild at the shops who knows but they're not going to admit to breaking your wiring but it certainly didn't just fall apart because they jacked the car up and took off the wheel.