1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel bearing/speed sensor trouble

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by acarapella, Oct 15, 2022.

1. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey everybody! I can use some advice while waiting for a part to arrive. The other day I changed the wheel bearing and axle on a 2012 Toyota Prius C. I got a code for that speed sensor immediately after (after driving 15 feet). I figured it was because i struggled to get the sensor out and damaged it, but when replacing it today i got this sinking feeling that, because of the absence of geer teeth/toner ring on the axel, its a magnet in the bearing and I installed it backwards. New sensor installed and sure enough, i got the code right back after clearing it with TIS and driving 15 feet.

Am i correct the bearing has a magnet in ONE side of it? and if so, how the heck do I know which side once I get ANOTHER bearing and do this miserable job again?

Thanks so much

Drew

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wish I knew more about the C, but I'm not familiar with it. You swapped only the bearing, or did you swap the entire hub?

Out of curiousity, I looked this bearing up on RockAuto. They had several options and I saw this in one of them:

Front; This bearing comes with a built in magnetic strip which should be assembled towards the ABS sensor. The correct side can be confirmed by moving an FAG magnet indicator or any magnet reactive product (such as a paper clip) over the end of the bearing. A protective metal cover can also indicate the correct side to be installed.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting that the c still uses "generation 1 hub bearings" at the front, same as the Gen 1 Prius did, while all other Prius generations moved to "generation 3 hub bearings". (Hub bearing generations are different from Prius generations, but for the coincidence that Gen 1 Prii used generation 1 bearings.)

But now there's this new wrinkle where the bearing includes the magnetic strip, where the Gen 1 Prius had a tone ring on the axle.

Nothing stays the same I guess.

4. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Chapman actually prius C is on the Yaris platform. Much of the suspension parts cross to 2006-18 Yaris. None of them (at least the brakes/hubs/big parts) cross to 1 Gen prius. Yaris is a good parts car at a junk yard for many prius C things. And yes just the bearing I have a 20 ton press and the hub needs to be pressed out and back in anyway they aren’t one part like the ones that bolt in with 4 bolts

tmr-jwap yea I am thinking that has to be my answer. Not knowing that ahead of time, I was left with a 50/50 chance of success. And I lost that coin toss. I’ve been down this road before with a kia optima but the guy who sold me the bearing demonstrated with a paper clip. Left it right in the box.
    Sucks to be in this case

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Understood. You'll see I mentioned that the "generation 1" and "generation 3" that bearing manufacturers use to talk about hub bearings are completely distinct terms from generations of the Prius automobile.

It's just a coincidence that the Gen 1 Prius happened to use "generation 1" hub bearings, while every other Prius generation (starting with the Gen 2 Prius) uses "generation 3" hub bearings, except for Prius c.

Right. When you see that bolted flange and integral wheel hub, that's a "generation 3" hub bearing unit. When you see something you install with a press, and it looks like "just a bearing", only it's a preassembled double row with angular contact, that's the "generation 1" hub bearing unit.

Building the magnet strip into the bearing, though, that's a new wrinkle. I wonder if they're calling that a new hub bearing generation. The information might still be on SKF's web site, but they've reorganized it so older links don't work.

Edit: this week anyway, their overview of HBU generations is here. They don't seem to be treating sensor integration as being a new generation, just an available feature.

#5 ChapmanF, Oct 16, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2022