1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel bearings failure.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Edsvfr800, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Edsvfr800

Edsvfr800 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been getting increased noise coming from the back of my car for the past month. So I jacked up the car and spun the tires and heard grinding noises in the rear right. I have a 2012 ToyotaPrius plug-in with 33,000 miles. When driving the car around 40 miles an hour there would be a howling sound coming from the back of the car regardless of the type of pavement I was driving on. So I took it to the dealer today and they had it up on the rack in about an hour later they came to me and said it needed new tires and it would be about $700 and that this was likely causing the noise. I said that there was no way that it was the tires so I went and showed the mechanic how old the sound was coming out of the back right wheel.he listened with his stethoscope on the wheelbearings and said that he did hear some noise in there but still thought it was the tires. Luckily I was under the three-year 36,000 mile warranty and I told him to replace the bearing please. They replaced the bearing and left the old tires on and now the car runs like new again, nice and quiet. Is this just lasyness or in some way just a ploy to get you to buy extra stuff you don't need. btw this was a Toyota dealer where I bought the car.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That sounds very evasive. For folks in the area: what dealership was that?

Also, disturbing that this is happening so much. I never had this with Hondas; bearing quality going downhill??

3. Edsvfr800

Edsvfr800 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don Jacobs Toyota in Milwaukee.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's pretty early for a bearing, must have been defective? at least you made it under the 3/36!

how are the tyres tread at 33k? mine still look decent at 37k.

#4 bisco, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  5. Edsvfr800

Edsvfr800 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tires are ok, Mabey another year on them.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, same here i think. not bad for oem's though.

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wth is wrong with your mechanic? He clearly hears the grinding noise while the car is up in the air and still trying to blame it the tire that has no contact with the ground. That's intentionally ripping consumers off.

bisco likes this.
  8. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the same scenario happens again and unsure as to its origin swap the tires front to rear and the noise (if its the tires) should move as in this case to the front. As for the bearing...its pretty sad that they diagnosed it as the tires...pretty amateurish....for a dealer.
    I would make a mental note to avoid this dealer as they have newbies on the front line. Two tires (at dealer cost) as opposed to a rear bearing under warranty means one thing. THEY NEED MONEY! LOL!

9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    At 40,000 both my gen2 and gen3 needed front wheel bearings, hatchback, but this is the first case of rear wheel bearings going loud, yes, chuck the dealer, or take a salt shaker ( be doubtful) when visiting.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    strange, do you have to drive in the salt a lot? i've never had a bad wheel bearing.

MERGED

i wonder if our resident mechanics will jump in here to defend their dealerships?:cool:

#10 bisco, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2015
  11. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    We had a 2010 Prius in our shop for a loud noise. It was the right rear wheel bearing. Loud as hell - it made grinding noises when you spun the wheel with the car on the lift.

The right rear wheel was also the only wheel missing the wheel cover. I'm not saying the car hit something... yes. Yes I am. If you cut a right turn too hard and whack the rear wheel on the corner of a curb it could cause early bearing failure. This car had brand new tires on it from a month ago. The customer swears the new tires caused the bearing failure. Such is life in a shop.

Edsvfr800 and bisco like this.
  12. Edsvfr800

Edsvfr800 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    UPDATE: The dealer called me after reading the survey that they sent me and wanted to rectifity the situation. I also offered my dash cam video's of the situation when the mechanic was driving my car and verbalizing his frustrations/understanding about the situation. I met with the general manager and he wanted the video's of the encounter. Needless to say i am now happy that the dealer took this situation seriously.

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Been there done that. My rears went out last year. Here is a thread on it. I didn't even bring it up with the dealer since I was out of warranty. Glad you were able get done on their dime and hopefully a little correction for that mechanic.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just wondering, for people having wheel bearing failures: what tire pressures are you running? Maybe higher pressures are transmitting shocks more??

15. Edsvfr800

Edsvfr800 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was running normal pressures at 32 psi.

Wow, you replaced them yourself. Nice job. I was about to do that but the advance auto parts employee said your car is only a 2012 with 33,000 miles on it...that should be under warrenty. I was like - Sweet - saved me $200 for the part. I am just hoping that no more go out since I am now out of warrenty. On my old car 1995 Dodge Avenger ES - wheelbearing failed and the whole wheel fell off while I was driving. Lucky I was only going like 10 mph around a corner near my home.

spiderman likes this.
  16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You only had one done?

It is pretty obvious that there is a design flaw with their bearings and northern/wet climates. I am guessing salts, rough roads, etc. Both mine went out at the same time (59K miles). What are the chances?

The fronts seem to be a little more stout... fewer instances of those going out it seems.

!!! on the Avenger.:eek:

Edsvfr800 likes this.
  17. boidies

boidies Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just replaced both fronts on my 2013 with 75,000 miles on it. My mechanic says that northern climate and keyless entry could be the issue. He thinks there could have been some arcing across the bearings.

spiderman likes this.
  18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keyless entry? Have a hard time believing that but hey.

So how was the process with the fronts? I was really blessed to just have to do my rears I am thinking.

19. boidies

boidies Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a great semi-retired mechanic. On a gen 3 you have to replace the entire hub. And the process is timed at 3 hours a side because they want you to pull the axle and do the work off the car. I bought the aftermarket hubs for $85 each and he replaced them on the car without unhooking the battery or disturbing the wheel sensors. Because I live in a northern climate (Minnesota), nothing comes apart easily. He called it the Minnesota effect. But still, he was able to get them out fairly quickly. And everything went back together perfectly without disrupting anything with the computer. The best part was that he only charged me with 2 hours labor! I buy him a Christmas present every year. He has kept my wife's Altima on the road for 175,000 miles without ever having a fix costing me over $300. In fact, he chewed me out for suggesting doing things to the car that didn't need to be done.

roflwaffle and spiderman like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's good, if the case. Getting at the rears is at least pretty straightforward.