1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel bearings??????????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by billynjoanna, Oct 22, 2007.

1. billynjoanna

billynjoanna New Member

Did Toyota use sealed wheel bearings on the pruis? If not I am beating that they did not use a good bearing grease. If the wheel bearings are not sealed I was going to try AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Lithium Complex Racing Grease to see if I could reduce the friction in the wheel and see if that would help with MPG. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not only are they sealed, to replace them you havto get the whole assembly as they don't sell just the bearing.

Good dealscan be found on the net. A lot lower than the $400 factory prices.

3. testyoldguy

testyoldguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    We had the driver's side front bearing replaced just this morning on our 2008. I don't know where my mechanic got his part, but the bill was $390 complete for labor and materials. I've used this gentleman (Chris at Northgate Auto Service in Cincinnati, Ohio) for twelve years now, and I trust his work.

priusrust and bisco like this.
  4. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We had the dealer do a right front bearing on our '09 a while ago and it was more expensive than that. (Paperwork is not in front of me right now.)

5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here - let the dealer replace a front bearing and it was in the $600 range, if I recall correctly.