1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Care necessary -- Anti-seize & Wire Brush?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Sep 6, 2016.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last spring (it may have been winter -- March, anyway, I think), I rotated my tires and at that time made a point of cleaning off the part of the wheel that seats against whatever it is called -- I guess it would be brake drums on the rear -- don't know about the front.

After grinding away any corrosion, I then applied anti-seize and put the tires on the car. This was suggested to me by forum members, including Patrick Wong, I believe, to keep the wheels from "welding" to car and making it difficult to remove them for future rotations and flat tires.

A couple of months ago, I got new tires installed. Of course the tire shop did not do the song and dance with the wire brush and anti-seize (wonder what they would have said if I had asked)>

Do you people think it would be worthwhile to go ahead and take off all fours tires, clean and lube them now and put them back on before winter hits, or just wait until next March and do it when I rotate the tires again (providing they come off -- LOL).

Kris

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you are in an area that uses road salt for winter then, yes. If not, you're chose. My '06 only has anti-seize on the lug bolt threads only, haven't had any issues with removing wheel from disc/drum.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You just had new tires put on not new wheels, correct? If so, there should still be anti-seize left on both mating surfaces so I wouldn't worry about it till next rotation. You're well ahead of what most people do; even me. If they're stubborn, I just pop them real hard with a rubber mallet. I do spritz the threads with lubricant though.

garglo likes this.
  4. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, just new tires on the same old battered wheels that came with the car oh so many years ago.

I had trouble twice with them welding to the car and had to resort to loosening the lugs and driving a short distance to break them loose. Now, since I began this, I have no trouble.

No salt on our roads, but lots of rain and mud!

O.K., if everyone thinks it is O.K. to wait, I will wait. I never relish the idea of pulling off all four tires, or heck, even one tire. :confused:
    kris

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine haven't ever 'welded' so badly I couldn't goose them loose with a wooden shovel handle (from behind or in front of the car, just get the handle between the tire and some fixed suspension part, and pull, pops right off). On a prior vehicle with an especially stubborn front wheel, I think I wedged my shovel handle in place and then climbed in and turned the steering wheel.

Usually where I put antiseize to avoid that is just right around the center of the hub where it comes through the wheel center hole.

But on my Gen 1 that has moved on, my wheels themselves were getting very corroded, so much so that I was losing air, and the tire people were telling me "hey, nothing we can do, we can try wire-wheeling the daylights out of them, but these wheels are really gnarly."

So I found out there was a wheel-refinish service nearby, and I said "can you even do anything with wheels this far gone?" and they said "tosh, that's nothin'" (or words to that effect), and when the wheels came back they were not only more gorgeous than I had ever seen them as long as I'd owned the car, they also held air, and were much less prone to stick on the hubs.

I'm sure the finish wears off there eventually, but it makes everything nicer while it lasts.

-Chap

garglo and cyberpriusII like this.
  6. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chap:

You may have solved a mystery for me.

One wheel, with two different tires, always develops a slow leak. Guys at the tire place can never find a leak. Finally, after weeks of back and forth, they dismounted the tire and remounted. It started leaking in about six more months, but by then, I was ready for new tires. New tire started leaking several months in.

You get the picture....Your post gives me something to think about.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds very familiar....

Gnarlesville:

gnarlesville.jpg

Off to see the wizard:

wizard.jpg

Holy smokes, are those even my wheels?!

[​IMG]

:D

-Chap

garglo likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Someone up the page mentioned anti seize on the wheel studs. I'd be cautious with that, and if you do, research reducing torque a bit.

Do make sure the points of contact between wheel and hub are clean, and a very thin patina of anti seize is fine. Wheels can still glue on though. What I do;

With the tire about 1/2" clear of slab, install one lug nut only, at top of wheel, very loosely. Place a 4x4 (or a pair of 2x4's) on slab at inside tire wall.

Get the biggest sledge hammer in the arsenal, lay it on the flat well back of the 4x4, then slide it in an arc, into the 4x4. If at first you don't succeed, try again, a little harder. It will break loose, and the one nut prevents it taking off.

9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'll echo Mendel above.

Antiseize, oil, etc on the lug studs or lug nuts is not a good idea.

Wire brushing them is OK.
    I guess one can even chase the threads of the studs and nut if they are really in truly bad shape with a tap and die set, yet in all my years I have never had to do this.

In my experience when the rim sticks to the hub is at the rim's center hole where it sits on the hub.
    Here a good wire brushing w/ WD to remove any rust or debris buildup is a standard practice for this area. Some manufacturers even had a special shop tool to remove/ regrind this area.

The area of the rim between lug stud hole to lug stud hole can also be wire brush and same for the hub between the studs.

Above it is mentioned some patina antiseize in this area of stud to stud on the hub may be prudent, yet again I have never used antiseize in the lug or hub area.

Do note I do not live in an area that use road salts or has freezing temperatures.

Lastly, best practice I can offer is to not install lug nuts with an air wrench. Build up torque with hand tools in a star pattern starting with 45 lbs, then 65 then final torque for example.

Have fun.

Eastside likes this.
  10. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good tip about anti-seize on the mating surfaces. I see the temp rating is plenty high. My rears seem to get stuck more than the fronts.

Worst case scenario is having to change a flat on the road. I once rendered aid to another motorist pondering why the wheel was stuck on, and was able to deliver the old line, "They all do that." I gave it a good 'mule kick', with lugs loosened, and was a hero for the day.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's got me thinking, I may need to stow a 4x4 and a sledge hammer in the trunk. The back end's already sagging with all the just-in-case stuff already though.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're rotating them regularly, or even just slipping them off regularly to check your caliper slides, do you tend to find them noticeably stuck at all? BC must be one hostile environment....

-Chap

13. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving only in Western Washington, Western Oregon and California's North Coast and was rotating every six months and after maybe the first two years had continual trouble with not being able to budge the tires off without loosening the lug nuts and driving several hundred yards.

The diff. has been spectacular since I started using the anti-seize and wire brush.

Other than rain and winter temperatures that rarely drop below freezing, it is a pretty mild climate. A lot like British Columbia's.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Aluminum rims on steel hubs seem worse than steel on steel. We're on the BC coast btw, very mild winters, and global warming's a factor, snow's getting to be a rarity.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think up until shortly before I discovered the service here that refinishes alloy rims, I only dimly understood that alloy rims even had a finish. I mean, I guess it was obvious when looking at fancy high-contrast boy-racer style rims, but looking at something with as comparatively subtle as the Gen 1 wheel design, I had somehow fooled myself that I was looking directly at metal, not multiple baked on plastic layers of color and clear.

Now it makes more sense to me that, for as long as the finish stays intact, I'm not dealing with aluminum against a steel hub, but rather plastic against a steel hub, which is much better behaved. (Maybe better still if the steel hub, too, after a good wire-wheeling if necessary, gets a nice coat or three of rustoleum.)

Not only does everything look nicer, it just somehow feels so much more civilized just removing the lug nuts and lifting the wheel off. :)

Of course then for as long as the finish holds up, I don't really want to go after it with the ol' wire wheel ... not until it has lost integrity and corrosion is showing up again. And at that point I might consider repainting too (heck, in my backyard with a rattlecan, won't need to use the refinishing wizards again if the areas that show still look good).

Now, my Gen 1 hubs did have that patina of antiseize around the center pilots, because I had applied it my first time getting the wheels off after buying the car used. (And I did need the shovel handle that time.) I don't remember regularly reapplying it.

One place I found where a bit of antiseize really helped was the lug nuts themselves: not on the threads at all (no lectures about the threads, thanks!), but between the nut body and the integrated flat washer. Those Toyota nuts are built so the flat washer presses down against the wheel without turning, so as not to damage the wheel paint, and the nut body turns against the washer, and when the nuts get so they only tighten and loosen in stiff clicky jerks, I found a little dab of antiseize on the tip of a tiny screwdriver to get it between the nut and washer, spinning the washer around a few times, would make that all civilized again too.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.