1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Inertia explained.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SpaceShip1, Jun 12, 2016.

1. SpaceShip1

SpaceShip1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought a prius! This thing is fricken awesome.

Anyways... the first thing I noticed when I got to this forum, when researching aftermarket wheels, was the misconception about fuel economy and wheel weight/size. I haven't been able to find a thread that clarifies all of this accurately. Are there any other engineers here?

Misconception Number 1: MPG is dependent only on wheel weight.
    Ok, in multiple threads, I read multiple expert opinions that mpg is dependent only on wheel weight, because it increases the "rotational weight" or something like that. Yes, it does increase the rotational weight, but wheel size has an effect on rotational weight also.

Misconception Number 2:
    MPG is dependent on rim size, irrespective of wheel weight.
    In one thread, someone expressed their opinion that 17" wheels will be less fuel efficient, regardless of if they're lighter than 15" wheels. Okay, that's not always true.

So what exactly effects fuel economy?

Wheel Inertia!
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    Let's look at the total kinetic energy of the prius. Hopefully you understand my variable usage.

E_in = energy put toward moving the car forward
    E_out = kinetic energy of the car and wheels
    m_car = weight of the car
    v_car = velocity of the car
    m_wheel = weight of a single wheel
    r_wheel = radius of the center of mass of the wheel
    w_wheel = angular velocity of the wheel
    I_wheel = moment of inertia of each wheel. For simplicity, we will use the inertia equation for a hollow cylinder. Obviously, real wheels have a slightly more complex moment of inertia, but this is a valid assumption for our purposes.
    I_wheel = m_wheel * r_wheel^2

E_in = E_out
    E_in
    = 1/2 * m_car * v_car^2 + 4 * (1/2 * I_wheel * w_wheel^2)
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    So as we see, the energy required to move the car is directly proportional to a property of the wheel, I_wheel, or the wheel inertia. And the wheel inertia, is dependent on wheel weight and the radius of the wheel's center of mass.

So if you're concerned about fuel economy, get wheels with low inertia, i.e. wheels with most of the weight distributed close to the center of the wheel. Large rims tend to have most of the weight distributed further from the center of the wheel.

xliderider and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We do? Erhh, I mean yes, of course. ;)

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we may have found our next bill wilson.:cool:

Kramah313 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! I always thought it was more complicated.

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can we assume that "r_wheel" would be the entire wheel+tyre assembly, which will be more or less the same for 15 or 17" rims?

Does a wider wheel cause a decrease in aerodynamic efficiency?

7. SpaceShip1

SpaceShip1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, I should have been more clear. This is the radius at which most of the weight of the wheel lies, which would be at the outer surface of the rim where the tire mates. Now, this is a gross oversimplification of the inertia calculation for an actual wheel (we are considering the wheel a hollow cylinder), but it is still valid for understanding how inertia of wheels works. Calculating the actual inertia of a wheel would require calculus.

I would assume so. Is it measurable though? That is a question that would be difficult to answer without some formal calculations. A wider wheel would have more inertia (assuming m_wheel increases and r_wheel doesn't decrease), so it would be hard to determine whether the decrease in fuel economy was from aerodynamic effects or inertial effects if you put wider wheels on. Most likely inertial effects would dominate.
    I would guess aerodynamic effects would be negligible, since the the drag force is proportional to the projected frontal area of the car. Wider wheels would be a very small increase in the projected frontal area (as compared to the whole projected frontal area of the car)

8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Calculus has turned to rust (or aluminium corrosion) - over the last 40 yrs since I used it. Last time I picked up an alloy wheel (admittedly a long while ago), I thought it was lighter than the actual tyre - so wouldn't a mounted tyre increase the effective radius? Would it be a "simple" matter of cutting a sliver of a ½ wheel and tyre (across the radius) and determining the centre balance point, or would it change as rotational forces increase?

As far as aerodynamics is concerned, as a layman fascinated by physics, I can see that the bluff area of a wider tyre sticking out from under a car would probably have more effect on aerodynamics than a narrower one. But I do wonder (dream) if there could be some compensating effect by a rapidly rotating wheel similar to a golf ball?

Here in Australia, we don't get many choices - we get 2 models. If you want Sat Nav, you have to have it with 17", no spare, fake leather (&more) - & pay a crazy $8000 for the upgrade. One alternative only - no Sat Nav, spare tyre, 15", cloth (&more).

9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ha! Reality is a LOT more complicated!

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Inertial effects" are significant during acceleration, but irrelevant during steady-state cruising. The effect of putting on wider (and we assume heavier) tires on fuel consumption during acceleration would be a greater than the effect of adding equal mass elsewhere, due mainly to their rotational inertia, but not as much greater as people often assume. The effect of putting on wider tires on fuel consumption during steady cruise would be entirely due to changes (probably but not necessarily increases) in aero drag and in rolling resistance.

Your initial post would be closer to a correct calculation of the car's kinetic energy if your definition of r_wheel substituted "radius of gyration" for "radius of the center of mass," which should be zero. Radius of gyration of the wheel is the radius of a hypothetical thin hoop of the same moment of inertia and the same mass concentrated at that radius, rotating about the same axis. As a guess, the radius of gyration of the wheel+tire assembly might be roughly 70% of the outside radius of the tire.

#10 CR94, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  11. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which gets me thinking ... is there a gyroscopic effect on handling? I remember as a schoolboy we noticed it on bicycle wheels if we held them off the ground and then tilted the bike - the faster you spun the wheel, the bigger the effect and could even wobble the bike off the support? We didn't have options to put wider tyres on our bikes then.

12. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Calculus hadn't been invented when I went to school. ;)

13. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nobody will notice the insignificant changes in MPG between various wheel weights and the distribution of that weight. The energy lost by decelerating the extra momentum is a microscopic fraction of the energy lost due to rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag. Having a wider or taller tire will have a much more significant impact on fuel economy than any differences in weight.

Sure, you want to reduce the amount of kinetic energy being fed to the wheels in a drag race, but in day to day driving, nobody will notice the difference in MPG. On top of all that, the Prius will capture a portion of that energy back with regenerative braking.

To summarize; if your goal is to improve the acceleration and handling characteristics of the car, then buy lightweight wheels and tires. If your goal is to improve MPG, then keep the stock wheels and buy LRR tires because they are both optimized for lower rolling resistance and lower drag.

CR94, alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. SpaceShip1

SpaceShip1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What? Do you not understand how inertia works? Rotational inertia is dependent on the radius squared. For a distributed mass it's the sum (integral) of each point mass X the radius squared.

For example: A 10 lb hoop with a 10 inch radius has an inertia of 1000 lb-in^2, and a 11 lb hoop with an 11 inch radius has an inertia of 1331 lb-in^2. That's 33.1% more, from just a 1 lb and 1 inch displacement! That's not negligible at all during acceleration.

Taller? Yes. Because taller tires are run at a lower pressure, and deform more, increasing rolling resistance.

Wider? No, unless the rubber is softer. Rolling resistance is dependent on the deformation of the tire. If anything, wider tires are run at a higher pressure and have less rolling resistance. I'm sure you know enough physics to know that tire width alone has no effect on friction and rolling resistance.

Aerodynamic drag is almost negligible at non highway speeds, which is where inertial effects would be the most significant, during accelerating and stopping, so I don't really see your point here.

And you don't really explain why prius forum members who go with larger aftermarket rims get worse gas mileage. Your argument is rolling resistance, but low profile tires are run at a higher pressure and have less rolling resistance.

Please do your homework before you try to "debunk" my post, and maybe give a disclaimer when you're giving your opinion instead of taking the ignorant "I'm right" approach.

15. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is very simple! Larger wheels require wider tires which has more contact surface which has more rolling resistance.

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, but a larger rim also moves more weight away from the center of the wheel (hub). The weight of a tire is mostly in the bead and tread areas, not the relatively thin sidewalls. A larger rim moves the tire bead further outward compared to a rim with a smaller diameter.

17. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I never claimed ignorance of how inertia works, nor did I disagree with your explanation of it.

Your myopic focus on inertia has allowed you to entirely miss my argument; that wheel weight and weight distribution is not going to make a significant difference in MPG compared to the larger factors of rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag.

People don't spend the majority of their time stopping their vehicle, which is the only time that inertia is wasted. Most of the time people are traveling, and any time the vehicle is in motion, rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag are constantly working against the power of the engine. In fact, at steady and level cruising speed, 100% of the engine power is consumed by rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag (minus drive-train losses, etc). If aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance went away, we could simply accelerate up to speed and then shut the engine off all the way to the next stop.

Regarding wider tires; they have higher aerodynamic drag due to a larger frontal area. While they might have lower rolling resistance, that will be more than offset by the increased aero-drag.

While I enjoy the engineering discussion, you can take your strawmen to another forum. This isn't the place for ego stroking.

Lightning Racer and CR94 like this.
  18. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, SpaceShip. Your partial knowledge of the physics of rotating objects doesn't mean you grasp where most of the energy needed to power a car goes. Redpoint5 is correct.

19. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Low inertia provides a small overall benefit during acceleration and braking. However you have completely ignored the benefit of having higher inertia in a wheel - it wants to keep on rolling. For example, on a section of road where you might be coasting, you'll go slightly further with higher inertia wheels before losing enough speed before you'll get back onto the accelerator. Of coarse, like Redpoint5 says, that inertial effect is dwarfed by rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag effects.

20. SpaceShip1

SpaceShip1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am not ego stroking what-so-ever. I am just trying to share some information, and clarify some misconceptions that I've seen on this forum. Clearly, no one likes to hear that everything they are saying is a misconception.

I'm not ignoring this at all.

None of you explain, at all, why people are seeing losses in fuel economy with larger rims. So far, your arguments have been rolling resistance and air friction...

Rolling Resistance: Wheels with large rims and low profile tires are run at higher pressure, which decreases their rolling resistance because the tires deforms less while rolling. Contact friction is unchanged with wider wheels, because contact friction is independent of contact area. So rolling resistance can't be the explanation for lower fuel economy with larger rims.

Air Drag: The drag force is dependent on the frontal projected area of the car. This means the only area of the wheel that contributes to air friction is the lower 1/4 of the tire you see when you look under the car from the front, and any bit of the wheels that sticks out from the sides. And there is no way that increasing the frontal projected area of a car by a max of 5% (with larger wheels), causes a 5 mpg (10%) drop in fuel economy alone.

GG707 likes this.