1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Size Preference for Gen4

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by cmth, Aug 12, 2014.

1. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wanted to start a thread to discuss wheel size preference amongst Prius enthusiasts and the general public. Current tyre technology dictates certain characteristics - as you make the wheel size bigger. Bigger, Low profile tyres in a Prius would mean (in approximate terms) the following positive and negative characteristics:

[+] A better sporty look
    [+] Slight improvement to handling

[-] 4 to 5 mpg reduction in fuel efficiency
    [-] 3 to 5 g/km increase in CO2 emissions
    [-] Harsher Ride
    [-] Increased Road Noise
    [-] Tyres wear out quicker
    [-] Less suited to snowy conditions
    [-] Low profile tyres are usually more expensive

My personal preference is for smaller rims and higher profile tyres and when I purchased a new Prius Gen 3, I made sure to pick the 15 inch version and to this date, I am very happy with the choice I made. We recently purchased a Toyota approved used Auris Hybrid but we just could not find one with 15 inch wheels so had to settle for 17 inch low profile tyres.

So it seems there is this great big fascination with low profile tyres and I for one just cannot understand why. Those like us who make a choice to buy a hybrid (I would imagine) be attracted by its reduced emission and better efficiency but why is it then that the 15-inch option is only available with select grades? Worst still, when you try to look for a used Prius or Auris, most seem to have low profile tyres so obviously, most buyers out there seem to not mind that low profile tyres carry all these negative characteristics.

My next upgrade is either going to be a Prius G4, PiP G2(NS4?) or a Lexus NX 300h. And I fear, after all these years, the same choice will need to be made i.e. pick the lowest grade or a very specific variant with loads of unwanted features just to avoid low profile tyres. This is already true of the Lexus NX where only the 2WD entry level version comes with 17 inch wheels. If one wants to pick the next grade up with AWD, they have to accept the big fat 18 inch wheels.

I just don't get it. My only rational explanation to this is that no matter what Toyota HQ says, no matter how well the cars are designed, the final customization and grade selection is devolved to individual country mangers. In my case Toyota UK and the dealerships who, like most other retailers these days completely obsessed with sports and performance cars, create variants based on individual/personal preferences. When the normal public then try to ask for a particular configuration, we get the usual sales excuse that it is the standard specification - no changes allowed.

So what do you all think ?

#1 cmth, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    RCO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree. if 14" rims improved mpg's, that would be a great choice.

RCO likes this.
  3. jyoungprius

jyoungprius Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    So true about the obsession for larger wheels & low profile tires. Go to the thread about aftermarket wheels, and you find I may be the only one who wanted a customized aftermarket look WITHOUT going to a larger wheel diameter and low profile tires. Nearly all of the 15 inch aftermarket wheels were wider than OEM 6 inch width. Bigger is NOT always better.

RCO likes this.
  4. DtEW

DtEW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The functional size of rims is dictated by the size of the brake assembly that it has to house within.

In racing, the maximum diameter of the wheel assembly (which affects the contact patch, which affects the overall potential performance envelope of the racing vehicle) has effects on the necessary structure of the vehicle to bear the increased leverage and loads (which has ramifications on the total cost of the racing class, which is always something a racing body seeks to control in order to facilitate adequate participation), which is why it is always limited to a spec. Of course, within that maximum diameter spec, a racing team is often free to pursue whatever the manufacturing technology will allow to give the most effective (read: biggest) brakes-to-contact-patch-to-unsprung-mass ratio to arrive at optimum performance for a given venue.

In production-car-based track racing, this often takes the form of big brakes housed within big rims that will accommodate them, which necessitates low-aspect-ratio racing slicks. The aesthetic that people fixate on is based on that.

In terms of high-fuel-efficiency hybrids such as the Prius [as opposed to more-performance-oriented (i.e. Lexus) luxury hybrids and maximum-performance-oriented (McLaren & Porsche) supercar hybrids]... unless low-rolling-resistance-tires suddenly undergo a breakthrough in which grip is substantially raised without raising rolling resistance... existing brakes do not have to be much bigger. Therefore a functional rim size does not need to be more than 15-16"

See, people enamored with the low-aspect ratio tire look will preach about sidewall flex. They're either ignorant or conveniently forgetting that F1 racecars have had gigantic sidewalls for decades. Different creatures than normal cars? Absolutely. But the physics of tire side-loads remains the same, and tires can be easily engineered (and are commonly available!) with rock-stiff sidewalls. The sidewall stiffness of a set of semi-racing Falken Azenis' will kick the snot out of expensive max performance street tires in a +1 size.

So yeah, it's about looks. That's about it.

So yeah, I'm with you guys in terms of function over style. Unless the Prius was going to be aimed at something else altogether... it should stick with roughly the same brake proportions, and hence roughly the same rim proportions.

Of course, if we increase the car's ability for regenerative braking (might necessitate active torque distribution differential), we could even decrease brake sizes...

RCO and Earthrise like this.
  5. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    15" would be optimal. It is easier to buy tires for and cheaper tires. 14" wheels are hard to find a wide variety of tires in comparison ( 85 celica gts has 14" and I hade very little selection on tires for it and they all sucked).

RCO likes this.
  6. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope they stick to 15 inch wheels. It seems to have worked well for the gen 3.

RCO likes this.
  7. Nobby

Nobby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in UK I have an Auris Hybrid Ts and Toyota would not supply it on other than 17 " wheels and told me (and my insurance company) that it was not homologated for 16". Even the spec sheet says there is a 9mpg penalty, and it is not exempt from congestion charges on 17" wheels. My average is 10 mpg down on my old Gen 3 despite same running gear.
    I am looking to go to the Gen 4 but can not find one to test drive on 15" wheels. Dealers tell me they can not sell the demonstration cars on 15" wheels so will not order them. TOYOTA GB just do not want to sell cars on 15" despite the reviewer's saying the choice is a no brainer.
    At least in UK we can now pick the size wheels on all grades of Gen 4.

RCO likes this.
  8. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    After having 3T for a few months (17") I will add my 2c. Based on Toyota's specs, and my own observations, I don't think there is an MPG penalty compare to 3. I also don't experience any additional noise level. Cannot compare with 3, but it is pretty much the same as was my 15" Gen 2. The ride I expected to be much more rough, but was surprised how smooth it is.

There a few disadvantages. Some about the price you mentioned. But one other is that the radius is some 2 feet bigger in 3T. That I can feel. You make U-turns in a number of standard places following your routine, and some of them I cannot fit any more.

As for the look, I never cared about this aspect. But now, each time I approach my car, have to admit - it is kind of cool!