1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel size vs AWD effect on MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Fuel Economy & Prime EV Range' started by anaheimlich, Feb 22, 2023.

1. anaheimlich

anaheimlich New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the EPA, choosing the 19" rims negatively impacts MPG more than AWD, and choosing both really hurts MPG. Does tire size really matter *that* much? Has anyone done a test drive with the 17" rims and can comment on MPG? I'm wondering if the ~45 MPG reported by youtubers is because the 19" rims are really inefficient, or because the car in general underperforms its EPA ratings. I hope its the first, as I want an LE, but if its the second I will have to reconsider. Losing cargo space *and* MPG doesn't sound very appealing to me and I may have to go for a 4th gen. At least with the "hot new Prius" being around it may be easier to get a 4th gen closer to $20k. Maybe now is the time to get a 4th gen?

2. Kalianyia

Kalianyia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My local dealer just sent me an email telling me that they just got a 2020 Prius on the lot with 40k miles for only $29,995! And I should buy that instead of waiting months for a new 2023 Prius which I put the deposit on.

If you can find a $20k gen 4 with low miles, that would be a heck of a deal

3. anaheimlich

anaheimlich New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before covid a new prius could be easily had for under 20k. That was also when public charging infrastructure was more limited, and EVs were more expensive than they are now. I must say, even with inflation, the concept of spending 30k for a prius isn't very appealing. A corolla hybrid gets worse fuel economy, but is thousands of dollars cheaper. MPG is inversely related with money spent, so 50 vs 55 mpg means maybe a few hundred dollars in fuel savings a year at most, or about 10 years to break even on the prius. A camry hybrid gets 50 mpg too, and is larger than the prius. I want a new prius, just not for 30k. At the end of the day, its just a compact toyota.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Metal is heavier than rubber and air, so a wheel that is larger diameter is heavier. As the wheel is often spinning, it 'weighs' more than a stationary part of the car.

Forged wheels are often lighter than cast wheels, which are lighter than steel wheels. Price escalates rapidly with lightness.

5. Kalianyia

Kalianyia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a video from a few days ago where someone was driving a FWD XLE on an ~500 mile road trip. He got around 47 MPG compared to the 52 MPG EPA. He says he was driving quite slowly and quite conservatively.

6. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    TBH, when I find exact dimensions of said rims, I will try to find a smaller, lighter, financially bearable, alternative (something like OZ Allegritta HLT or Borbet DB8GT).
    Anyone knows all those dimensions you add to filters when you pick new rims? :-D
    It shows quite a lot of numbers like:
    8,5x18 5x114,3 ET40 72,5

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So far as I know, the Prius v station wagon is 5 x 114, but all 'true' Prius are 5 x 100.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    5th gen Prius options in Canada are all 19" wheels and AWD. :cry:

9. David Mk.2

David Mk.2 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah it seems that even in the US, at least on the east coast, all the dealers north of Philadelphia or NYC get allocated a ridiculous amount of AWD models and the FWD are really hard to find. I live in a suburban area north of NYC and I really don't see why the AWD is necessary. +$1400 is not cheap at all, and the mpg penalty settling under 50 EPA is a slap in the face. Feels like a massive upsell to have so many customers buy AWD because they are the only ones available so the topic doesn't even come up.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I don't think there's another Prius in our future.

I'm looking for something without an 800 page owner's manual, easy/cheap to maintain, with ergonomic dash controls. Good luck with that...

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    used ugo?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. David Mk.2

David Mk.2 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Also, something to consider for the OP's question, if these tests are being done in cold weather, winter fuel efficiency for most people is significantly worse than summer. In my 2010 I can typically achieve over 50 MPG in the summer but more like 45 MPG in winter. The lower the temperature, the worse it is. This seems to be true across the board for vehicles and especially hybrids

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The video was in California. Weather should got for economy, but the gasoline blend is different than the rest of the country, which is in addition to considering season blends and ethanol. Winter blend is about 3% lower in energy content than summer, and E10 is another 3% drop.

Kalianyia likes this.
  14. PianoBench

PianoBench Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    deleted

#14 PianoBench, May 13, 2023
    Last edited: May 13, 2023