1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Squeaking/brake squeaking? Sometimes brake "groaning"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Allison Meggison, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Allison Meggison

Allison Meggison Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usually when I first start driving my car every evening, the wheel will squeak as I'm accelerating/coasting. I live in San Diego so it hardly rains. when I hit the brake, it will sometimes let out a loud squeak, and sometimes it's silent. It seems to get worse on unlevel ground and when turning right. Is this a wheel bearing? I replaced the front driver side wheel bearing a few months ago. I recently replaced the water pump also. Before that I had removed the front passenger side wheel to find out where my coolant was leaking from and ever since then its been squeaking louder. I also didn't tighten the lugnuts enough when I put the wheel back on, but after establishing the problem, I tightened them as much as i could.
    Also sometimes after I have had my foot on the brake pedal for a little while (when stationary), will let out a groaning sound when I release it. I call it a robot farting noise but I'm pretty sure this is what people are referring to when they say brake groaning

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the groaning noise is probably the brake actuator, fairly common.

the squeaking should get a detailed brake inspection.

how many miles on her?