1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel/Strut Creaking Sound after Collision

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Farfle, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Farfle

Farfle Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all, I would appreciate any advice on this seemingly *minor* issue I have. Besides this one issue, my Prius C 2012 is doing fantastic at 90K+ miles :)

Around a year ago, I hit - what I think was - a big semi truck tire carcass going about 75mph on the freeway at night. I immediately pulled over and didn't notice any major damage. However, over the subsequent months, I then started noticing that whenever I go over small bumps (speedbumps, or rough roads) at slow speeds, I hear a creaking sound from my driver side wheel. It's very consistently audible at slow speeds, like a rusty metal joint with a faint clunking sound mixed in.

I told the mechanics about it a few months ago when I had my regular service and they swapped tires, but they didn't notice anything. They said I'd have to have the car scheduled for a full alignment check if I was still concerned.

So the Q I have for y'all is do you think this something worth fixing/replacing/worrying about? It's really only noticeable while driving at slow speeds over bumps. I haven't noticed any other handling issues, especially at high speeds, but I'm worried there could be something broken with the left front strut that could lead to potential safety issue. Finally, how much do you think it would cost to have a mechanic replace the whole strut if that's the case?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be a bearing or cvj. hard to diagnose over the net. i would definitely have it looked at

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    old cars make noises like this. Might be unrelated to road debris incident...

4. Farfle

Farfle Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Alright, thanks, I think I will schedule an appointment and have it thoroughly looked at.