1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel studs spin/wobble in practically new wheel hub assemblies

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cory Potrafka, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Cory Potrafka

Cory Potrafka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had a problem I have never had before in all my years of tire changing. Got new tires changed out at a shop the other day and had several studs just loose and wobbly. But let me back up a bit. All the loose studs were in the front wheel hubs. One of the hubs (which come with the studs pre-installed) was replaced within the past 6 months with an "affordable" brand, and the other under year prior to that with a nice Timken brand. Did the repairs myself and had no major issues with either job. The newer hub had three of the five studs just spinning loose when they tried to put the new tire on. They were able to use a tool that pulled the studs back in tight and that worked for two of them but the last stud would not tighten and now I am currently driving with 4 lugs on that side, The slightly older but still pretty new Timken had one loose stud that would not snug back into the hole and so that side is also with only 4 lugs on. We didn't take the brakes/rotor off so I did not get a good look at what the problem really was but I assume that either the hole or the ridges on the stud are stripped/worn out. Why would this happen to fairly new parts? I am guessing the answer is going to have something to do with the tire being reinstalled using an air gun. I know this is not the best way but I can honestly say I have never seen any shop put a tire on any other way and I have never had this problem before. I need to take a look and deal with this but I am fairly certain that I may not get a tire back on, and that is if I can even get it off. Does anyone have any insight into which part is most likely destroyed, the studs or the hub into which they are pressed? I can't believe I might have to buy another $200 worth of wheel hubs that were just replaced! Honestly I bought the cheaper wheel hub assembly thinking it should still outlast my 2005, 215,000+ miles Prius and perhaps that was a mistake, but the Timken? I bought that one due to suggestions here at Priuschat. What do I do?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Remove the tires (if you can) and see what the problem is. I don't think anyone can figure it out from a distance other than to say it is reasonable that either the studs or the hub is the root of the problem.

Once you understand the problem then you'll know what needs to be done to address it.

If it turns out that you cannot remove the tires then you'll need to seek professional assistance.

You are right that impact wrenches are commonly used when removing the tire lug nuts. However, hopefully a torque wrench is used to tighten the lug nuts.

3. Cory Potrafka

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never sought professional assistance (if you mean taking it to a shop) and I never will. I just thought someone here may have an idea which the weaker metal was. I'm betting on the hub, unfortunately.

4. jessiejosco

jessiejosco Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure about the economy hub but I am pretty sure that the Timken, SKF and Toyota branded hubs all come from the same company in Japan. If you look at the stamp on the bearing they are all "Koyo Japan". My guess is there is only one factory that makes hubs for a Prius.
    Are you sure they didn't cross thread the nuts and strip the studs with the impact wrench?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Cory Potrafka

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The threads are fine. The studs are not staying in place in the hub. However, I do assume that over tightening with the impact wrench has been the cause.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm having a hard time understanding how over torque would cause the studs to become loose, spin. I'm thinking since they're a slight interference fit, coupled with all the friction at work, the stud would just go into (terrific) tension, snap the stud, and/or deform the threads.

My guess is it's the wrong stud size??

7. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've installed literally 1000's of wheels using an impact, and never had a problem. however, I did buy an alleged Timken hub from ebay, and the bearing didn't have any markings on it, which leads me to believe there are counterfeit Timken hubs out there which are of course the same garbage which the off brand hubs are. I would suspect both hubs are Chinese junk. you may be able to find studs which are a bit larger in the splined part to replace the loose ones. or you could try to jb weld the studs in place.

8. Cory Potrafka

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can't say what is really happening till I take a look I guess. The studs came pre-installed on the wheel bearing hub assembly.

9. Cory Potrafka

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tire shops I have gone to have always used them and I never had the problem before either. I bought both hub assemblies from rockauto.com. I won't be able to take a look for a while. No days off work for two weeks.