1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Weights Blocking the Trim Rings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Abe, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Abe

Abe Junior Member

I just had new tires put on my 2004 Prius, and while I was at it, I bought a set of new wheel rings to replace the old (3 were scuffed up; one had fallen off or was stolen).
    Everything looks great with one exception.
    There appear to be 2 small weights, side-by-side, on one of the wheels, and the new trim ring doesn't really fit over it. I can snap everything into place, with difficulty, but there's a gap between the ring and the weights & I'm concerned the ring's gonna go flying off one day. Anybody else have to deal with this?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't they reinstall them on the inside rim?

edthefox5 and Patrick Wong like this.
  3. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If they will, they can use magnetic weights, but....leave the trim to saturday nights;)

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With 2nd gen rims, I believe the usual procedure is to use hidden weights for the outside, not the clip-on style?

They're basically little squares of weight, glued on in a row, as close as practical to the front face on the inside diameter of the rims.

Not a very good picture, and it's a real you-know-what load of weights, but like this:

upload_2018-11-15_19-42-17.png

Patrick Wong and Merkey like this.