1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel weights on the outside after balancing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by btrotter, Mar 19, 2009.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used to manage an engineering department in a company that made balancing machines. I don't think ours were ever used on tires, they were a bit expensive for that, but they were used on power generation turbines and the like. It's an interesting application.

Tom

2. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am not familiar with the Hunter machine. I'm sure it is much more expensive than our machine. Every time I rotate tires I put them on the machine. Usually, only one or two will need any adjustment at all, but it is nice to know that they are in balance.

3. btrotter

btrotter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I took the car back to the tire store today. The "tire guy" at first said that the hubcaps are designed wrong. I told him that he should have put the weights on the inside of the wheel, and he said that he could do that for me....using the tone of voice that he would be doing me a favor in doing that. So I have to drop the car back off with them tomorrow so they can let it sit in the parking lot all day while they get around to it. So far I am very displeased with them. The tires themselves are really loud. They feel and sound like knobby tires on a 4x4.

4. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would tell him a few words and take my business some where else, and let him know that they are not the only gig in town.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, if that had been me, they'd quickly find out it's NOT a good idea to piss off the 800 lb mean bald gorilla in the room

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Strobe? Laser? Dial? Don't tease me and just leave me hanging ...

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious - what type of tires did you buy that were so noisy?

There's no reason they can't stick weights on the inner and outer edges of the "inside" of the rim for a decent dynamic balance.

8. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just had Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires installed. They put the tire balance weights on the outside. However, the weights prevented the wheel covers from fitting flush against the wheel.

So I went back and they re-balanced and placed the weights on the inside. No problem. There is no wheel vibration at highway speeds, so it CAN be done.

Marvinh