1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheelchair Carrier?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by LinTK, Dec 19, 2016.

1. LinTK

LinTK New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All:

New here, w/ a question I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere else.

Is it possible to put a trailer hitch-mounted wheelchair carrier on the back of an '08 Prius? I'm not talking about a power lift, but the kind that fold up flat against the back of the car when not in use, then folds out, & has a ramp that either fold or slides out, so you can push the chair up into place, raise the ramp, & strap everything into place. Total weight estimate, including the chair, would be just under 300 lb.

I am rapidly becoming dependent on a chair 24/7, but I am still able to drive (as it's my left side that is mainly affected).

I really hope this is possible, even w/ some slight modification, perhaps.

Answers? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Lin

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First the bad news.
    Your Prius is rated to 825 pounds of passengers and cargo, if you have 300 pounds of wheel chair on the back you are left with 525 of passengers and other cargo. You can overload your Prius very easily.
    Toyota does not rate the Prius for towing.

Now the good news: there are receivers for the Gen 2 Prius in both 1 1/4 and 2 inch here is one
    Torklift Central | Torklift Central | 2004-2009 Toyota Prius Gen II EcoHitch
    That will let you mount your wheelchair carrier, be very aware of weight issues and that you tail/brake light still show!

Check to be sure which size you need before ordering.

3. LinTK

LinTK New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the part I don't understand:

"Rated for 200 pounds tongue weight, 2,000 pounds towing weight"

Wouldn't this still EXCLUDE this hitch from working?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, technically the chair and the carrier would exceed the tongue weight of the hitch.

That leaves you with several options: Get a different vehicle with a higher tongue rating for the hitch. Or use a small trailer to transport your chair.

5. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    200 pounds is not a limitation of the hitch but to where it connects to the car. The Prius was not designed to tow.

6. LinTK

LinTK New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So basically, my only choice, w/out spending half a gazillion bucks, is to do what I didn't want to do.....take the chair apart & put it in the trunk....which I'm not physically able to do on my own. Meaning, so long independence. :'(

7. LinTK

LinTK New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, but this pretty much kills the purpose of having something that would fold up flat against the car, for ease of parking, etc. A trailer certainly wouldn't work in a handicap accessible parking spot.

I think my only choice is to find a folding ramp that I can keep in the car...take off the seat, then roll the base up into the trunk. It'll be difficult w/ my decreased mobility & strength, but I guess if there's a will, there's a way.

Thanks for your suggestions!

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    60 pound aluminum hitch mounts (I see 4 wheel powered wheel chairs under 120 pounds, which gets you under 200)

amazon.com/Cargo-Carrier-ramp-Wheelchairs-Dimensions/dp/B001ODSGD0
    amazon.com/Five-Star-436-ACC-TG-Carrier/dp/B0034KBCAU/

9. LinTK

LinTK New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My power chair weighs 157.5lbs, including the batteries. Won't work.

I'm seeing a set of 2 tri-fold metal ramps, 6 ft long, on Harbor Freight's website. We have a Harbor Freight in the next town over. Will be calling tomorrow to see if they have them in-store, or order only.

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    158 + 60 is certainly close. (Since 60 pounds is the shipping weight, it will be somewhat lighter out of the box) I found a 54 pound shelf, but the reviews said the supports were too far apart for their chairs, so I did not show it earlier. Does your chair have very large tires?

amazon.com/Husky-81150-Aluminum-Mobility-Wheelchair/dp/B00GJLYN9I/

11. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jimbo makes a good point. It's a little bit over spec, but I don't think it would be a problem so long as you drive appropriately, understanding the handling of the car will be reduced with 220 lbs in the rear. The main thing to watch out for would be to take large bumps more slowly, to not stress the hitch. Or if you installed something like a roof rack with a couple of bungee cords, you could take 20lbs of force off of the hitch easily enough. Obviously, do this at your own risk.

If you wanted better handling you could fold the back seats forward, move the spare tire to where the front passenger's feet would be, and remove all of plastic parts and carpet for the hidden compartment in the trunk. All of these things will help shift the center of gravity of the car forward to maintain its handling. Then if you carry anything heavy in the car, place it in the front or rear seat instead of the trunk if possible. I would also probably run equal tire pressures on all tires in this circumstance (instead of airing the front tires a few Psi higher per the door placard) as the rear tires will be bearing additional weight.

12. Velo781

Velo781 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I carry a push mower on a rack that goes in the hitch on my focus. You really don't want to much weight because the leverage of where it connects to the car frame is severe. I wouldn't do more than 150lbs.

The other thing you could do is have some other supports for the hitch mounted to the frame or bumper bar perhaps. 300 lbs is just a lot of weight to be hanging off the back. Think of the stress when on a bumpy road.