1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheels adapter 5x100 to 5x114.3.....Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Isabella Prius, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Isabella Prius

Isabella Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just purchased 4 rims that came off a 2012 Scion TC 18". I tired installing them on my 2010 Prius but the bolt patterns are different. I thought it was the same since I see other prius with TC rims. But its obviously not these ones. I was think of getting adapters but im afraid of it sticking out. Could someone recommed what I should do, if I should just sell them....

Thanks in advances.
    SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

FranklinS likes this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Depends what the offset is on your TC rims.

Might be best to sell them and get rims with proper offset and bolt pattern.

3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The previous gen TC rims fit, not the current gen. I'd sell them if I was in your shoes and buy wheeelsvwith propper fitment.

4. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A shame, the 18" Scion is a nice looking rim. Don't feel too bad I have done the same thing myself and should have known better. Calculate the offset by subtracting the thickness of the adapter and 1/2 of the difference between the old rim and stock. Add in the increased sidewall width (again 1/2) of the new tire and it should give you the placement of tire/rim. The stock is 15 X 6.5 @ 50mm offset with 195 X 65 tires, of course. You may be surprised by how far your new wheels may stick out.

Then there is the safety factor. I would only use a top quality 6061 spacer of known manufacture and ditto for the new nuts. Use a red threadlock and be very careful about torque on all nuts. You will never be able to to check how secure the wheel is without jacking the car up and you can only tighten the adapter by removing the wheel.

Saying all this I have a set of 114.3 wheels that I have chosen not to go this route. The added bolts/spacers introduced a risk that I did not feel comfortable with. A wheel/tire separation from a car is the last thing I want to experience. I did have a friend that was coming to a stop and looked out the side window to observe his own wheel rolling merrily past him and right through the intersection.

Whatever you choose I wish you the best. Let us know how it works out for you.

5. Isabella Prius

Isabella Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for you comments and suggestions. I going to sell them and buy a set of prius plus rims or prius v rims.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2