1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheels Keep on Turning...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by The Electric Me, Nov 26, 2009.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is mostly just an observation and personal rant I've been wanting to communicate. I guess it off handedly relates to Prius as there is a long running debate over the dangers of it being so quiet and "belling the hybrid".

Along those lines, you know what I think is dangerous? Those designer rims that are made to keep spinning when the car stops. Thankfully they don't seem to be very popular but the few times I have seen them it's been dangerous. For those who have never seen them I hope I'm explaining them well enough, but they are basicly wheels with a cover attached, usually high end chrome or metal, that are designed to be free spinning and keep turning or spinning when the vehicle is stopped.

Like I said, I've only seen them twice, but both times it was a vehicle that had stopped on a side street to await turning onto a main street. I'm on the main street. Both times cars ahead of me slammed on their brakes because the driver looks at the car waiting to turn and "See's The Tires Spinning" and thinks the car is going to turn out. It's an illusion, but the wheels are designed to give the illusion of movement. This is dangerous.

So as far as an arguement about "Belling The Hybrids", I don't know, but IMO those spinning designer wheels should be illegal for street use. An addition to an automobile that's main function is to make it look like it's moving when it's not seems like a no-brainer for being dangerous. I can't believe they legally sell them.

Okay, it makes me sound like an old man, but I've only come in contact with those wheels twice, but both times there was nearly an accident. I certainly wouldn't want to own them. Now get those neighbor kids of a my Property!

End of Rant.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The first time I saw those, I thought it was somewhat funny. Now I just think they are stupid. I'm not sure that they are such a danger or nuisance that they should be outlawed though.

3. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Spinners...

I guess you're also against bicycles having a card in the spokes too huh...

Pay attention to the movement on the road, not the sparkly things that spin in place and you'll be OK Bra...

They should NOT be illegal... they are identification devices for morons... they tell you when a moron is in the area even AFTER they have stopped their vehicle for a short period of time... the spinner alerts other drivers that they must be more careful in that area because of the indicators for moronic behavior in the immediate area.

You should be thankful they are giving you a heads up that they are around you.

3 people like this.
  4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I doubt they are that common in Oregon. There are some here in SD, mostly in areas of town more common for gang stuff. The vehicles tend to be driven by the folks who also want huge bling hanging from their neck, belt loop and fingers.

I agree with amm0bob, beacons of dumbness......usually seen on big, black suvs. I can't believe what some folks want to spend their $$ on but to each their own.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess Seattle has a lot more of them than Portland.

A motorcyclist acquaintance hates them. It screws up one of his many self-preservation instincts, using peripheral vision to watch the wheels of vehicles beside him in city traffic, as an early clue of who is moving when they should not be.

The only time these would foul up my response is in icy weather when I'm watching wheel spin of cars on side streets approaching intersections. When the approaching car has stationary wheels, I know it is time to begin evasive action immediately. Wheels spinners hide this clue.

In normal weather, I'll agree that they are ID markers for certain crowds that I don't want to deal with.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, Bay Area ghetto kids tried the opposite tact and installed whistle tips in their cars and that got outlawed pretty quick. Bubb Rubb was all about safety... woo woooo:)

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6903052464745557505&ei=kvcaS5WUK6X2qAPRhr2ECw&q=whistle+tips&hl=en]Bubba Rubb & lil Sis - Whistle Tips[/ame]#

1 person likes this.
  7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please keep a lid on the whistles, another Yankee trend we don't need here. By the way, come get your McDonald's stores back.

8. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My favorite California V.C.

V.C. Section 27150.3 - Exhaust Systems: Whistle-Tip Prohibition

:cool:

9. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Its just fo decoration. :D

The subtitles make it even better. :D

10. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wheels Keep on Turning...

....... Proud Mary keep on burnin' ....... :hippie:

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It totally does!

I remember when they first came out. Some of the Yeah Area folks were installing them on their "Maros" and doing side show stunts in the middle of traffic in broad daylight. lol

Sideshows for dummies :D

12. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yet another reason to avoid Oakland after dark. :(

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. We have crap like this going on and yet people are worried about the lack of noise from a Prius. :rolleyes:

I just watched some old videos of old friends "playing around in our cars" and I guess I'm no angel and shouldn't talk. The stuff we used to do wasn't much better. :(

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2648536860572347433&ei=ODAbS8nkD5r8qAO99NWHDg&q=f-body+hideout&hl=en&view=2"]F-Body Havoc[/ame]#[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mapX_OGsHnY"][/ame]

14. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the difference here is the fact they are doing this on a public street. I used to used the parking lot at a local college to teach my daughter to drive a stick. I don't understand why people think it is acceptable to so infringe on the rights of others.

15. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They don't care about the rights of others. Its becoming more prevalent all the time. They only care about themselves.

16. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought of this video when I read this thread this morning! I was going to try to dig it up. LOL. I love when they drive off and he's all over the road and runs a stop sign.

Whoo! Whoo!

Oh, and those subtitles were added by someone else, not the news station. (just in case anyone didn't notice the way they spelled things differently for some people)

My bro won't take his kids to Mickey D's and so they don't even know what it is so one of my nephews, age 5, calls them the Banana Cafe since he thinks it looks like a banana that's been peeled back. :)

17. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, someone added the subtitles - they refer to the "bar train" when it is in reality supposed to be "BART train" aka Bay Area Rapid Transit.

But the subtitles in [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebonics"]Ebonics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] are a nice touch. :madgrin:

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Spinners...

In my defense, I did say it was the car infront of me that slammed on their brakes. (And it was).

I'm not getting into "lifestyles" or what people might be trying to communicate with any said purchase of either Hybrid Vehicles and/or sparkly things that spin in place.

But I'll stick by my original point, People do when driving make split second decisions based on what they "think" they empirically see happening around them. It's not the person with the spinning wheel hubcaps that is in danger, it's myself, or the driver infront of me, who suddenly "thinks" a car is moving, when a car is not.

Having said that, I'm generally not a proponent of outlawing things. Live and let live...go ahead and put those playing cards in your spokes if you wish. BUT in a debate between "Belling The Hybrid" and/or "Getting rid of Rims that create the illusion of vehicle movement when a vehicle is standing still" I'm going to side with getting rid of those stupid rims.

I know my sample size in this matter is personal and very small. But in the two times vehicles with those rims have been in my vicinity, I've had two almost accidents.

I knew I was going to sound like the cranky old man on this issue, so I'll guess I'll just take it. But I do think there is legitimacy in saying A: Those rims are stupid, B: They can create a dangerous enviroment. and C: Hey you Kids! Git offa my lawn!