1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheels make the car.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PearlJammer, Nov 22, 2011.

1. ryano7700

ryano7700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And the difference in the cost of tires for that same 15,000 miles is $60-80 dollars. Still worth it.

2. PearlJammer

PearlJammer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :whoo:

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why stop at 1 yr of driving? Calculate it out over the lifetime of the tire and you will find you could by another set of tires with savings.

I'm happy with my 17s. If I had a Geniii I would definitely put larger wheels on it since the hit doesn't seem as bad as the Genii. They are worth the cost imo. :) I can still get a,49mpg tank if I try.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't want a set of OEM wheels/tires laying around garage and chance of me selling them - 0%.

Car brightens up to me with simple tire cleaning / dressing. I like the 15's / covers. Handles nicely on curvy roads. TEHO. If lose a wheelcover for no reason, the story changes.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a good reason:cool: The difference in mileage between 15 and 17 inch wheels on a Prius is the difference between excellent and almost excellent, not the difference between good and bad.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed and

The difference in handling and safety between 15 and 17 inch wheels on a Prius is the difference between marginal and excellent. :)

7. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because I don't know how long I'll keep the car. Even over 10 years, $800 is not enough to make me drive the 15s. I don't drive a Prius to save money. I drive one because I like it.

8. sting30380

sting30380 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi there, I've just recently replaced my stock 15'' wheel with some 17'' aftermarket wheels which I found it on ebay. And immediately I was being able to sell these 15'' wheel+tire to a local used-tire shop for total of $160($40/Each). And I believe there's still some demand for these 15'' stock Toyota wheels since it will also fit on a Corolla or Scion Tc. But yes, you can sell it for at least $40 a piece easily... :cool:

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't mean to be rude, but selling off 15" OEM wheels and tires for $40 each is kinda crazy. Those wheels cost about $180+ each. See below, says 'reconditioned'. Not including the $60 discounted wheelcover or the $100+ tire. Minimum $340 each to replace.

$1400 hardware for $160 pocket change ?? Toyota's price is higher.

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/prius_wheels.htm

The other thing is the resale and trade-in value of the car is compromised with aftermarket wheels. You don't like the 15's, it would be (well, have been) better to keep the OEM wheels / tires to re-install before selling the car, then keep or sell your aftermarket wheels.

10. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Personal preference I suppose for everyone. I love shoes too...you can be dressed in a suit, but if you are wearing old sneakers, no one will care about your suit :)

I will sell my OEM's if I get a decent bid.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See above. Your car should have higher resale and to a wider market if you keep and put the 15's back on before selling / trading in. Don't mean to be a jerk, but a lot of would be buyers won't check out the car with 18's on it if you were to sell private party. Those wheels must have cost buck, so I think take them off before selling. I estimate $340 minimum to replace each 15" wheel/tire/cover.

12. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1. You kill off any potential for resale by tuning in such a way that you can't return to OEM easily.

13. bricor

bricor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  14. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Damn I do like your wheels they are sharp. I never would have thought of that. Did you buy those or just have your wheels chromed? About how much did they/it cost?

15. bricor

bricor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    [FONT=&quot]Embarrassingly, I probably paid too much. Bought the car new and swapped the original hot-teflon wheels for the chrome. They are OEM in that they are manufactured by Toyota and that is where I bought them. They came from the dealer and cost $2k. No regrets though.[/FONT]

1 person likes this.
  16. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not at all and your point is valid.

17. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Cool thanks. The wheels I like are around $500 each without tires so don't feel bad. With that said I don't think I will be getting them any time soon. Maybe when I wear through the OE tires I can get them then? I still wonder if they came chromed or if the dealer had them chromed?

SSR Wheels

18. bricor

bricor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What I was told by the dealer is that they would take the OE hot-teflon wheels off my car, send them out to have them chromed and then put them on my car. They said they would need my car for a couple of days. As it turned out, I brought my car in and they had a set of chrome wheels waiting and it took about 2 hours to change them out. And, they didn't even take my OE tires off. I got a new set of Good Years. Go figure.

19. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Like they say the clothes make the man yes ??

20. PearlJammer

PearlJammer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Niiiiiiiice! First time I've ever seen a black five. Those wheels are terrific. :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance: