1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheels spin wildly when put in drive, spin faster when brake pressed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gino Veltri, May 8, 2023.

1. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    [MEDIA=googledrive]1MNXR4xApBx03dN2l7Ykj2rqGxoIUn9s5[/MEDIA]

Alright I’m just about to give up on this repair/learning activity. Wrecked my beloved 05. Replaced strut, HCT and pump thing, part of the half shaft, knuckle , lca, ball joint, stabilizer, and tied up the wiring matching colors with a 2008 donor. The abs sensor I have not wired back up. Traction battery is an early failed attempt at reconditioning but still functions. All the noises seem right until I go to put it in drive then it’s front wheels spin wildly. Oddly enough, when I press the brake they actually speed up. When I go to put it back in park I have to hit park twice (the first press stops /slows the wheels , the second illuminates the green light in P button. When I press the brakes there is a harsh thud I dont recall being there. Anyone have any ideas? I’ve messed with the cv joint enough to say I think it’s set in properly. Many wires remain unplugged tho, Radiator looks like nice person but no visible leaks, dust shield is scraping when in drive , oil filter was leaking oil after the crash whenever it ran until I tightened all of it up. Is this caused by wiring up based solely on color?

I dk what my plans are for this car. If anyone is interested in her she’s yours. I’m soon going to start harvesting the expensive parts (inverter, accumulator/actuator, cat, battery, any other suggestions?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With lots of stuff still unplugged these symptoms are irrelevant... But for the sake of entertaining them:

The wheel spin when car is in drive is normal... The brake symptoms do seem a bit strange. I'd be curious to see if that problem still exists when you repeat what you did in the video with the car put back together and front tires on and wheels on the ground. I suspect the load on the drivetrain will eliminate that symptom, but perhaps not, so make sure your emergency brake is properly tensioned, you might need it.

Perhaps @ChapmanF or @Elektroingenieur could offer more perspective on this?

But the real problem is you need to put the car back together in its entirety and get rid of the warning lights before you focus on this strange symptom.

#2 PriusCamper, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The wheels spin faster because the car is trying to run away from that steering wheel.....

4. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Lol. The car has been with me thru some troubling times. With the maroon bench seat and cop cage barrier it’s a pretty silly ride..gonna miss La Catalina Maria del Guadalupe Hidalgo.

bisco likes this.
  5. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What warning lights. The dash is gone lol

6. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    but my e brake isn’t very tense and I don’t want a runaway Prius causing thousands of dollars in damage at my storage facility. The brakes do absolutely nothing to slow the wheels, like I said they go faster. Is this likely to be because the wheels are of the ground w no resistance? One of the abs sensors is unplugged as well ...and all those wires , I assume the majority are to the missing headlight, fog lights, low and high beams. Perhaps color matching wires between an 05 and 08 is ill advised?

7. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Perhaps I should’ve mentioned a lot of brake fluid drained out as I left the line disconnected from the caliper for weeks. I simply refilled the master cylinder without loading up alTS to bleed the brakes.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the dash is gone, just assume you have warning lights. :) Finish bleeding the brake system, read its trouble codes (will have to use a scan tool, not the blink method, 'cause the dash is gone), make sure to correct all the reported issues (will require reconnecting that ABS sensor) so all those codes are gone, then see what strange symptoms you have.

9. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was halfway joking. I still HAVE the dash somewhere. Good point tho, I haven’t pulled codes since wiring things up. Doesn’t brake bleeding require TS? And how is that done without a bleeder valve or will TS walk me thru it?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I confess I haven't watched the google drive video, maybe then I'd know how much of this car is missing.

Bleeder valves too? How??

11. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Its not so much missing as taken apart / not wired up completely ( but i think they are all headlight wires, i think)I thought the prius didnt have bleeder valves on the brakes, like normal cars do. Am i wrong?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's one at each corner of the car, and may be more under the hood (Gen 3 has one on the stroke simulator, I haven't got Gen 2 details in front of me right now).

The thing you might have heard (correctly), is you can't just go use these bleeder valves and squash the brake pedal some like it's a normal car, and think you successfully bled it. There's a procedure you can go through with Techstream* that makes sure all the air gets out. It will tell you when to open each bleeder valve as you go through.

* or another scan tool with the bleed functionality; Techstream's not the only game in town

Gino Veltri likes this.
  13. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oh, i didnt know there was another game in town other than techstream. I did it just like a normal car because there was nothing to loose. And she now drives like normal. Ill go thru the proper process soon as i find my vlc

14. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Thanks to you, and some other brilliant posters, i have one too many priuses now.

15. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    By the way , the wheels spinning like that is normal (the brakes just needed bleeding). But on the ground they behave perfectly reasonably.