1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheelskins Steering Wheel Cover my Favorite Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cycledrum, Jun 14, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I haven't done so many mods on my Prius, but I would do this mod over any day. Before getting it, used to think, I don't know, takes away the OEM look, covers up silver spokes, blah, blah. After lacing, one spoke ended up a little bunched up, but I don't care. Wheel feels great. Good for big hands too.

If any complaints about the rough plastic, either replace with JDM wheel or get one of these. Priuschat shop sells them. :)

(I know, it's a little bunched in places, but hey, first time lacing)

camera 428.jpg

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My installation of my Wheelskins is similar to yours.
    In other words not perfect.

But also similarly while I wouldn't say it's my favorite "mod", I almost call it a necessary modification.

I'm NOT spoiled, I don't need "Fine Corinthian Leather" at every place around me. I don't mind a plastic dashboard, infact I kind of like the durability and ease of maintenance.

I bought a Prius 2, and it seems plenty well appointed for my desires.

But the "standard" plastic steering wheel in a Prius? Oh my god, it's not just plastic and economically produced, it's absolutely horrible. Why Toyota produced a steering wheel, even entry level plastic with the feel of fine grain sandpaper? I don't know.

Yeah, wheelskins are nice quality leather. Gives a nice feel to the steering wheel. Installation, especially I think on a wide spoked Prius wheel is NOT easy. But outside of buying an entirely new wheel, I would say it's just about a necessary modification.

I don't consider myself a particularly picky person, and I've owned and driven vehicles with simply standard plastic steering wheels, but the hellish feel of the original Prius Steering wheel demanded SOMETHING be done. Therefore for me the Wheelskins became almost undeniably necessary.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well said.

btw, I've seen even wider spokes on a particular brand of car starting with an H.

4. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree! This has been the first mod I complete for my last 5 cars. This is kinda tricky to make sure that the leather doesn't bunch up. Each of the stitches needs to be very tight as you are going along. Well worth the $38!

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard it's possible to pull the laces a little too tight which can stretch the cover a bit causing a bit of bunching. Pretty sure that's what happened on my left spoke as I started at 12 oclock, went clockwise and it was last spoke. No biggie, love it anyway :)

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, one of the first things I put on a car that doesn't come with an OEM leather wrapped wheel.

Gotta love that nice smell of real leather too. :D

7. rj250

rj250 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I spent 2 hours installing my Wheelskin, well worth it. No wrinkles, and feels great. You do have to put on some gloves, and pull the lacing very tight. I bought mine from the PriusChat store. Best price around.

8. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought a WheelSkins cover for my steering wheel, even though it is leather. The finish was coming off at the 9 o'clock position (where my hand rests), so I wanted to cover it. I did have an automotive interior upholsterer install it. Cost me slightly more than the price of the cover, but, to me, it was worth it. I've done them before and they're a PITA to be sure. And, mine looks close enough to perfect as to not make a difference. (I'll try to remember to grab a photo and post it up.)

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Same thing happened to me and it is a factory defect (replaceable under warranty). But I simply replaced it with the much nicer JDM piano black steering wheel for $190.

10. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    32k, by the time the "defect" appeared, I was at about 70k miles, way outside of any warranty, wear-and-tear or otherwise. Sometimes, things just wear out. That doesn't mean they're defective.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not normal for leather to wear out in that short period of time. An extreme example of factory defect can be found here.

12. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine wasn't anywhere near that bad. I know that when I worked for VW, we found a correlation (right, wrong, or otherwise) between hand cream usage and how quickly the finish peeled off the steering wheel covers of MkIV Jettas.

I feel that, after 70k of my hand primarily touching that one spot, the failure was not out of line and indicative of a manufacturing defect. There may have been a nick or some other inflicted blemish there which accelerated the process (not unlikely, given that's my main point of contact). Either way, I'm certainly not going to blame Toyota for a wear-and-tear cosmetic issue on a vehicle which has accumulated over 80k miles in less than four years. If I wanted near limitless durability, I would have chosen the plastic wheel option. But, I understand the tradeoffs.

To wit: while my great aunt's covering of the couches and chairs in the living room extended their longevity where cosmetic issues were concerned, it certainly didn't make them enjoyable to use. I'd rather enjoy the use.

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fair enough, as that's your prerogative. In my case, the deterioration happened to be aligned with the path of the sun while my car was parked outside on the weekends and I don't normally drive with my right hand there. I'm fairly certain if my car were to sit outside daily it would have looked like the OP in that thread.

chrisj428 likes this.
  14. TchmYng

TchmYng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just installed a wheelskins cover today. I LOVE IT! My install looks similar but I had a little more puckering at the bottom spokes. I think I went a little overboard on making it "tight".

iPhone ? - now Free