1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheelskins (Steering wheel cover)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by momo, Aug 4, 2009.

1. NeilPeart

NeilPeart Hybrid & PiP Convert

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for the kind words, leeb18c. It did taker her some time. :D

14 1/8 x 4 1/8 is indeed the size we received from DCCarCare - Don said it is what Wheelskins recommend for the Gen III Prii.

If spending several hours stitching ain't your thing, then Teakwood's recommendation sounds just right. I would have probably gone that route if my wife wasn't so handy. I'm more of an electrical/mechanical/computer guy. Detailed work like that is not for everyone (including me). :)

2. mrajdstp

mrajdstp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Teakwood - you have a manufacturer & model # for the slip ons?

3. cwc

cwc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Teakwood,

My dealership says they don't have slip-on covers that fit the prius. Can you provide model specs?

4. Golfman

Golfman New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    NeilPeart, Very nice work. Dose your wife make house calls. (just kidding) I have to get one and try my non handy work.

5. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah is there a part number on that wheel cover, I looked for 5 years on my old prius. never found one, and I rubbed off some of the plastic, since I had the same driving condition, I do not want to do it again on this vehicle.

6. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NeilPeart,
    What color is your wheelskins ? I have the dark gray interior and I was wondering if the black or the charcoal would
    be the better match. Thanks

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is the black one. I bought a Charcoal one originally, but didn't like it. Installed a black one and am much happier with it. It matches the black center where the air bag/horn is better than the Charcoal one.

8. radmangto

radmangto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Upon the recent purchase of our '11 Prius 3, I vowed I would do something about that hateful plastic steeringwheel the morning we drove it home ... :>)) I did NOT like the feel of the plastic wheel. My wife agreed. Yes, we are used to leather wheels from previous vehicles and our current CTS has one. What it does also, and more importantly for me, is that it gives the wheel a wee bit more thickness and that makes it easier for these older hand to use. :ROFLMAO:

The install is quite easy. First timers, like myself, give yourself about 90 minutes to install. It mentions to pull tight on the lacing cord. Yep, pull that bugger as tight as you can ....that will keep it tight as you wind around the wheel. As you get to the spokes, I used the outside lace technique and I have found the lacing is fine over the spokes. Also, prior to install, I let the leather cover and cord sit in the warm Fla sun to warm up and expand prior to install ....

I think it looks fine but most importantly, it feels much much better ... :D

Regards,
    radman
    ===============

9. mandasol

mandasol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a Prius V but saw this thread when I wanted to upgrade my steering wheel as they are essentially the same. I decided to install a wheelskin by removing the airbag and silver spoke covers for a more custom look. If you want to see pictures here is my post in the V forum:
    Wheelskins with Airbag & Silver Panels Removed | PriusChat

cycledrum and radmangto like this.
  10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time to dig and old post ....

what is the point of a rough, sandpaper-like steering wheel in ANY car? :p

and just so you know, not just trolling, currently researching whether to remove airbag/trim pieces for OEM Wheelskins look or not.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Point taken. I highly recommend the JDM piano black wood steering wheel. Feels as nice as a Lexus.

cycledrum likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can live with cloth interior.

I was spoiled by what IMO was Honda's excellent leather wrapped steering wheel in my previous Honda Fit. I've had vehicles with plastic steering wheels....never great, but they can be passable.

IMO the most immediately disappointing thing within my Prius 2, was the CRAPPOLA steering wheel. I immediately ordered a Wheelskins.

I would say the installation was.....hellish. Prius wide and closely spaced together spokes made the installation difficult. Plus the waxed cording provided by wheelskins, in my case, stuck together like it was coated with glue. I watched every video, and read every post I could about "tips" in installing a Wheelskins, and the installation STILL was a PIA.

I never bothered to remove the airbag/trim pieces. I don't trust my DIY skills. I would say, if you are up to the challenge? Removing them and installing the Wheelskins in that manner would probably look better. The Wheelskins over and above the spokes on mine....are loose.

I can live with it. Even kinda learn to like it. Gives me a little extra "bulk" around the spokes.

I love the return to a real leather feel on the steering wheel. Wheelskins certainly provide that...If you want the best possible look? Then I would recommend attempting the full monty installation approach....although I myself barely got through the standard installation.

Also...have you seen some of the recent threads with aftermarket steering wheel upgrades? Some of those offer leather...and look fantastic. About a $200 investment vs. $50....but I kind of regret not going that route.

cycledrum likes this.
  13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks you two.

I've seen the JDM / piano black wheel thread and mandasol 's thread Wheelskins with Airbag & Silver Panels Removed | PriusChat installing Wheelskins under the silver trim pieces. Probably going to skip removing the airbag and trim, install it over the trim pieces, see how I like it. Can always get new thread and install it under the trim pieces. Wish me luck, I've never laced a st. wheel cover.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm embarassed to say how long I've spent on lacing this Wheelskins so far ... and I'm only 1/3 the way done :(

Note to self - do not allow the cord to get tangled or get a knot in it. Freaked me out when cord was tangled in a loop. Thought it was over, would have to cut cord, scrap an hour's work and wait til next week to order more cord. Thankfully the tangle 'pulled through' and straightened out.

Lacing rim is tedious but easy.

Lacing spoke(s) (I've only done one) ... totally different story. Not easy.

Keeping myself encouraged by sniffing the leather. Smells good. :eek:

15. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You guys want to know the funny thing.... The JDM steering wheel took about 4 minutes to install and test on the road.

16. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The crazy thing is that to install the JDM steering wheel it only took about 4-5 minutes total

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That may be, but it costs a lot of $$$ and it only has leather on about half of the wheel circumference.

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cycledrum, keep it up and do it right. (y)

Wrapping some tape around your fingers or wearing gloves around your pulling hand will save yourself a lot of pain. ;)

cycledrum likes this.
  19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL!

That's sounds almost exactly like my recent experience.

My cording got horribly tangled multiple times but each time I was able to get it untangled.

I'm happy enough with my install, but it took a long time.

Now that I've done it once, I'm almost tempted myself to order more cording and do it again, if only because now with the experience, and the cover very much trained to the wheel, I'm sure I could do a better job.

Keep with it though. I love the feel of the leather. Definitely worth having the finished product, even if the lacing is a PIA.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, my sister is in town, we've been hanging out so I've taken lots of breaks. I'm through 3 spokes, will finish today. I'm sure it will be so much better than the bare wheel. I've also thought of re-threading it someday with baseball stitch which requires two needles and cords. Possibly removing the airbag/trim to get 'OEM' look, but that won't be anytime soon :)

I chose to start lacing at top of wheel, going clockwise to get practice lacing the rim which is fairly easy compared to a spoke. Had to judge when to start / stop dummy stitches.