1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheelskins wheel covers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by rookie, May 15, 2005.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First let me say that "you get what you pay for" so the experiences some people had with the Eautoworks versus the Wheelskins people.....well, 'nuff said.

I must have ordered my Wheelskins on a very good day. I bought my car April 6 and shortly thereafter (within a few weeks) I ordered, among other things, the wheelskins cover. Now when I went to the Wheelskins site I couldn't get the site to record my order for the Prius cover. So I ended up calling them on the phone. The girl I talked two said the Prius was a special size and they knew about the problem with the website and they were fixing it. I have no idea what size I ended up getting, but it was tight getting it to fit over the steering wheel to lace. I laced the cord through the middle of the top halfway, then started worked down both sides, easing the leather as I went. I didn't get any extra pucker. I got the leather to meet in the middle on all except one small part of the steering wheel. I used a crochet hook to really pull the cord. I spent two days, about 45 min the first day to lace, then about 20-30 min the second day going over my stitching with the crochet hook and tightening it more. I wanted to give the leather time to stretch overnight. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, but if I had to do it over again, I think I'd use a herringbone stitch like on baseball gloves rather than the whip stitch they recommend. Maybe someday I'll buy some more waxed cord and redo it.

But mine fit just fine. Sometimes it's better to talk to them on the phone.

2. matrum

matrum New Member

i did most of mine at night, because my wife would have been annoyed that i spend so much time for a thing that she thinks is "eurotrashy". And the kids were in bed. after 2+ hours I finnished it and i noticed that it was a little crooked and i think that I pulled too tight on the left side of the top because there is a huge lip at the stitching as compared to the other half. I bugs me and I can't drive until i fix it. I'm going to try today. hopfully I didn't pull too tight and permanently stretch or rip it. I let you guys know.. other than that I like how it feels when you turn with your palm. it sticks

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"103428)</div>
    [font=Comic Sans MS:a01df27097]A herringbone stitch sounds like a good way to go. I might do the same.

If you call Wheelskins, they will send you another roll of waxed lacing and a new bodkin. I messed mine up the first time, as noted, and they sent me a free roll of lacing to re-do it.[/font:a01df27097]

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK - For those of us that don't manufacture baseballs or have seamstress after our names, (LOL) could someone please explain the herringbone stitch? I have another car to do and may want to give that a try. Thanks all -

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's like lacing a tennis shoe or stitching a baseball glove. You have a needle at both ends and you alternate going over and under and through the hole to the other side.

Whip stitch is what the directions give because it's easy. But now that I've done it once, I think I'd rather lace it like a tennis shoe.

6. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, now if you do that stitch, let us know how it works out please. By the way the tip with the knitting needle is a great tip. I am going to go buy one and go over my lace job at a minimum. If the baseball stitch is tried and works well I may just unlace it and relace it that way. Regardless the knitting needle is a very cool tip. Thank you.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not knitting needle.

Crochet hook.

8. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OOPPS, OK crochet hook - sorry.

9. Poppajack747

Poppajack747 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got mine today and laced it on. It's fabulous! Love the feel of the leather.
    I got it in two days for $32.95 plus $6.95 shipping from AutoBarn.
    [email protected]

10. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've received mine 2 days ago and installed it in 2 hours (mind that I'm not very good with needles). It's fantastic!

11. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wwell, I finally installed mine. Got this replacement from Wheelskins (this one is the right size) about 2 weeks ago...just had the time to do it yesterday (took about an hour). It fits and looks great.

My original order was for perforated, but the replacement they sent me was not....but it looks okay anyway...I will probably replace w/ perforated down the road a bit. I would ask them to replace it but that replacement would be the fourth wheelskins delivered to my door.

Oh well, I'll just live with it...it does look nice though.

Rick

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just wanted to let everyone know that PriusChat is going to be a reseller for the Wheelskins wheel covers. I'll hopefully have them added to the PriusChat Shop very soon at a discounted price.

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    GREAT!

[font=Comic Sans MS:2f90fb4d9f]Great! A great product from a great company, and it makes the steering wheel so nice![/font:2f90fb4d9f]