1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheezing and Whirring

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by centrejack, Jul 26, 2009.

1. centrejack

centrejack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I love my new Prius, but there is one thing making me crazy. I am using a Kensington adaptor for my iphone that includes a charger and aux in one and it plugs into the USB connection slot on my phone.

I frequently get a very high pitched whirring noise when I am driving and listening to audio from my iphone. Do I have to get the ipod kit installed to resolve this issue, or is there another fix? Also, I am using the bluetooth phone connection regularly and having no problems, but is there a way to transfer my phonebook without having to voice enter each contact?

I don't have nav.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I cannot diagnose many potential problems, I have some questions related to detecting ground loop or common mode noise.

Does this noise occur in all ignition modes including Accessory, or only when Ready, or even only when the car is moving? If only when moving, does the pitch change as the car speed or engine speed or engine load change?

Does the whine occur when using an audio AUX connection only, without the charger connection? Either unplug the charger from the lighter socket, or try an audio-only cable.

Does the Kensington adaptor have a ferrite common-mode choke? Normally this would appear as a solid cylinder around the cable, or a section looking like a slim snake that swallowed a cylindrical object, something about 1/2" diameter and 1" long.

Do any other portable audio devices -- Ipod, MP3 player, CD player, Walkman, or even transistor radio -- suffer the same problem?

3. centrejack

centrejack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I embedded my resopnses into the quote above.