1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

when and why for dealership visit?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cutter44, Sep 28, 2015.

1. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So I bought my C used with 34k miles back in April and have already put 10k more miles on it. I changed the oil and filter and rotated tires at 40k miles and will rotate the tires again next weekend. I'm going to do the next oil change at 50k and will have an oil analysis done to make sure I'm okay with that 10k OC interval.

My question is this. I did buy a ToyotaCare Platinum Extended Warranty when it had just under 36k miles on it (just for a little peace of mind). There's so little "required maintenance" on this C and I'm doing oil changes and tire rotations myself, I'm wondering at what point (if any), I should pay a visit to a local Toyota dealer just to cover myself if something goes wrong down the road a ways and I might need to take advantage of the extended warranty. Should I make an appointment to let them "inspect the brakes" or have them do some other incidental service or is it not even worth it? Anything else I should have them do that I can't or may not want to do myself that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Or should I just take my chances?

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't bother. it's just a waste of your time. if something breaks under warranty, that's the time to take it in.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I assume you have the Maintenance schedule ( if not http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-12PriusC/pdf/2012_Toyota_Prius_C_WMG.pdf) Follow that and document your services. The only service I would add to Toyota's schedule is ATF WS darin and fill in the transaxle at 30,000 miles, 90,000 miles then every 90,000 miles.

Any brake work that involves bleeding needs the dealer or someone with software to open and close all the solenoids in the brake system.

[​IMG]
    (do not try this at home)

4. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. I should mention that I also did the ATF WS drain and fill at 35k miles, as well as changing the cabin air filter and engine air filter.

What I'm not comfortable/confident doing is anything to do with the brakes, especially since this isn't a conventional braking system. Also, a lot of the required maintenance is inspecting ball joints, drive shaft boots, steering linkage, etc. and to be honest, I don't know if I trust my "inspection". But I also don't want to pay for stuff I don't really need. Can any decent local mechanic do these inspections? Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for some dealer inspection coupons.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes these will all be familiar to any mechanic of late model Japanese cars, nothing will be unique to Hybrids, so they should be very competent.

Mechanics Files | Car Talk

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was nervous about touching the brakes, but it went ok. I disconnected 12 volt (no memory saver) and afterwards pumped the brake pedal multiple times before reconnect. No warning lights or issues.

This was for pad inspection and caliber pin relube. For any sort of brake bleeding, I would still leave it to the dealership. Braver souls with more knowledge, techstream and mini VC might take on bleeding tho.

7. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So how do I know when it's time for brake bleeding, caliper pin relube, etc.? I don't see that in the maintenance schedule, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Any idea what kind of $$ I'm looking at for that work?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no need for brake bleeding unless work has been done. brake work isn't on a schedule, it's by inspection. you lube the slide pins if they need it, or periodically if you have a lot of rust. pads and rotors are on a measurement or damage basis.

i had the local mech do inspections and repairs on my '04, no issues.

9. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Excellent. Thanks for the advice.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Brake bleeding is on the 2014 Canadian Prius schedule. Just off top of my head, it's 3 years or 48000? km. A regular car it's around $100. Maybe $150 for Prius?

Brake inspection is in the schedule, but no specifics as to what specifically to do. Personally, if you're normal mileage: I'd do a thorough brake inspection, with pin relube, tri-yearly. Pin lube is relatively trivial if you have the calliper off

11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not a bad guess. When I claimed my last "free" (and wastefully premature) oil change yesterday, I asked their price to "change brake fluid." SHE said $110, "but you're not due for it yet"---in a 4½-year-old car.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When getting a brake bleed, do ask that they test drive after, basically put the fear in them, let 'em know.

The last brake bleed I got done by pros, a Honda in the last year, they royally screwed up: besides losing the majority of the bleed screw caps they DISABLED one rear corner. Braking was "exciting".

Finally figured that out, went back, raised heck. Nothing phases them tho: same indifferent demeanour the second time 'round, lol.