1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When are people having their first maintenance done?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by larkinmj, May 10, 2006.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I have an '06 Prius, about 3 1/2 months old and just over 3K miles. I'm curious as to when folks have been doing their first oil change- waiting until the scheduled 5K mile interval, or sooner? I would characterize my driving as "normal"- not much stop-and-go city traffic.

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just stuck with the suggested interval. Although, it turns out that 6 months was up before we hit 5000 miles, so we got it changed at ~4500 miles.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I went in at 5,000, which was way before 6 months. :)

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't worry about it. Do it at 5000 miles. The Prius takes a little different thinking. Forget your preconseptions about the 3 month/3000 thing. Everything will be just fine.

There have been SEVERAL discussions on this. Several have gotten their oil professionall tested at 5000 and it was just fine.

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    5250 miles, just changed to Mobil 1. Easy to change except you can't see the filter without jacking the car. Also, needed to get a really small filter tool, <$3 at Walmart. No big deal.

6. unruhly

unruhly New Member

I just changed mine this past weekend at 5200 miles. The oil was a dark honey color with very little smell of petroleum. Take a look at your oil level on the dipstick and note the color and smell. I think you'll agree you can go the full 5000 without any problem.

7. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got my oil changed at 5,000 miles (actually it was @ 4900) at the local dealer. I'd had the car for ~2.5 months at that point but clocked a lot of mileage due to some out of town roadtrips.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Six months or 5,000 miles, whichever came first, just like the maintenance schedule said.

9. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also 6 months (about 4000 miles) and at the dealer where I bought it.

10. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I plan to switch to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic at 5000 and then it wil be 10,000 miles from then on. I've done the same with two Honda's, one I sold with 267K miles and the other, my 2000 Odyssey is still going strong with 202K miles. Neither used any oil. The 3000 mile change went with the oil-burners of years past. Even non-synthetic can easily do 5000 miles. More oil changes, more waste and more money in the pockets of the oil companies! MEO

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ May 10 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]252994[/snapback]</div>
    AlphaTeam, the only Prius initial used oil chemical analysis I have seen was from Tadashi, and was posted here at Prius Chat. Without meaning to incite concern, his copper levels were substantially higher than any seen from Prius at later miles. If you know of others, by all means let us know.

If someone wanted to do their first engine oil change a little bit early, you won't hear any complaints from me. And if any Prius driver with any miles wants to pay the $20 for a used oil analysis, you have my gratitude. This is a Prius database which needs beefing up.

The used oil analyses that I have seen generally indicate that the Prius engine releases little or no wear metals to the oil. While we can all rejoice in this, I continue to hope for more analyses posted.

12. chezypuffs

chezypuffs New Member

After less then a month and a half I hit 5,000 miles this past weekend and got my first oil change. I reset my MPG and am now averaging 50 MPG and I'm a lead foot!

13. chinook-hybrid

chinook-hybrid New Member

I changed the oil initially at 1,000 miles in our Prius and have stuck with a 5,000 mile change interval since. We are at 6,000 or so miles now. Thus far I have been using Mobil 1. I installed the Fumoto valve (www.fumotovalve.com) and it makes changing the oil very easy. I wouldn't have to raise the car if it were not for the oil filter. In regards to mileage intervals and oil changes, I would suggest using high quality oil and filter (Mobil 1, etc) to follow this pattern. I found a Toyota dealer from TX that was selling Toyota OEM oil filters on EBay for $3 per filter. The catch was you had to buy them in packs of 6. I didn't mind that and enjoyed the cost savings as well as superior filter quality.

I have not seen anyone discuss it yet in this forum but, Amsoil (www.amsoil.com) has much longer intervals between oil changes and I have used it exclusively in my boats and my '88 FJ 62 Land Cruiser. In simpler terms it is aeronautical grade synthetic oil. I average about 18K - 24K miles between engine oil changes in my LC. I installed a bypass oil filter system that Amsoil created to boost my mileage intervals. I have my oil analyzed on an annual basis and change my oil filter every 12 months, as long as I fall within the criteria for oil weight, particulate size, etc. I keep on driving. Since it's an '88 I have to top off the oil here and there, but it has not failed me yet (knock on wood). Amsoil is sold through distributors only; most local garages can refer you to a rep. Don't really have a reason yet as to why I have not switched over to Amsoil in our Prius other than the fact that I wouldn't want any hassle with warranty coverage since I opted for the extended warranty with Toyota of Greenfield (Troy). I attached a pamphlet from Amsoil with more info about it if anyone is interested.

Before anyone asks... I don't work for or sell Amsoil products. :D

(edit) Don't forget to rotate your tires to at 5K miles too. Rotating evens the effect of the high torque engines and prolongs the tread wear, as well as keeps your gas mileage at optimal levels.

14. kDB

kDB New Member

at 5000 i switched to synthetic, most reasons stated here

there is no need to change sooner.

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinook-hybrid @ May 11 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]253746[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Chinook, there are a few other fans of AMSoil around here, but as far as I know none have yet posted used oil analyses from extended oil change intervals. My concern always is that the "total base number" (TBN is the measure of ability to neutralize acids produced by gasoline combustion) may get used up.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and its TBN is pretty much pooped out at 13k miles. Everything else about it is still fine per analysis. But to get me to change over to (expensive) AMSoil and longer oil change intervals, somebody is going to have to present the data. I know it's good on engine wear; so is Mobil 1 in Prius, but to extend any longer we need the TBN data.

16. badaka

badaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I went in for my 5000 at 4800. The dealer asked if I wanted to switch to Mobil1 and I did. Rotated tires too.

17. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinook-hybrid @ May 11 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]253746[/snapback]</div>
    I just hit 5000 miles yesterday, so I changed the oil and rotated the tires today at 5085 miles! :D
    My dealer sells the factory filter very cheap, so thats all I'm going to use. The old oil wasn't even black, just sort of brown, as someone else said. It was STILL ABOVE the fill mark on the dipstick, just like new, which I really found amazing. I also changed to synthetic today, and plan on doing an oil analysis at 10K.

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    5000 or a bit less. I figure that the people that built the car must know something. Doing it more often can not hurt!